Arctic sleep system advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
True. However a Snugpack RE costs around £150-160, plus more if you buy the extenda panel (£25-30 or more?). The Ultima Thule costs around £140 after their 20% discount, and has a rated temp of -20F, or -32C. And unlike any other sleeping bag manufacturer, he not only recommends washing the bag as often as you like, but gives a lifetime guarantee on it retaining its loft, even if you keep it fully compressed in storage. True, there are postage costs etc to the UK, but even then it would be around the same price as an RE with expanda panel.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc was the final kicker on me getting some Wiggys gear, after lots of on-line searches for how they worked in real life. Most were entirely favourable (although a minority were very rude, mainly because Wiggy has a reputation for "vigorous" defense of his goods on camping websites, which tended to upset the sensibilities of some - actually most, to be fair.) Having spoken to him several times when ordering goods, I can confirm he is somewhat "abrupt" - if he had any commercial sense he'd keep well clear of any customer-facing/PR activities, and concentrate on production and development :)

I have no personal connections with Wiggys other than as a customer. I will however say that I've been very happy with most of the gear which I've had from him, which has lived up to both my expectations and those claims made by Wiggy. Particular favourites, apart from the bags (I have the Ultima Thule boat-tail, Superlight and overbag - which fits on both), are the Antarctic Parka and the Packboots .

My Wiggy's bag (Ultima Thule) has been the bomb. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Climashield Combat, which is used in it, is gaining a great reputation and deservedly. Very hardwearing, highly hydrophobic and quick drying.

It's just tolerable to sleep in at freezing, is warm down to sub -40 after extended use as doesn't build up moisture, hardwearing enough to smash the ice out of the drawcords in the morning and the quick release zip is great.

I love it and wouldn't take anything else now.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I use the following sleep system for Arctic temps here in Canada:

2 closed cell foam pads- 3mm or 4mm
1 full length Thermarest
1 -30C down mummy shaped sleeping bag (Mine is a Marmot Gopher with 12" of 750 down fill)
1 vapour barrier liner bag (mine is made by Black Diamond)
1 Goretex Bivouac bag cover (Outdoor Research)
1 Outdoor Research compression stuff sack

Sometimes I take along a Jerven termo hunter as well, depending on the type of trip and the style of tent that will be used.

I have used this system for temps between -30C and -40C in the Arctic as well as on 2-3 week climbing expeditions like Mt McKinley, Mt. Hunter, and Mt. Logan with success. Purchase quality items and only cry once- I bought this sleeping system in the late 80's, and it's still serviceable and going strong...

I find the key to sleeping well in these regions is proper hydration and eating enough of the right calories to keep your metabolism stoked properly for the long haul, as well as having an external source of heat in your shelter at the end of every day to dry out the moisture buid up from hoarfrost.

YMMV,

Geo

rg598

Native
I think we are over-complicating the issue, or maybe I am simply misunderstanding it. All you need is a properly rates sleeping bag and a sleeping mat rated for winter use. I've slept out in -20F (-30C) with a Western Mountaineering Puma (-25F) sleeping bag and a Thermarest NeoAir All Season sleeping mat. I use the Thermarest XTherm now, because it has better insulation for less weight, but the All Season worked fine as well. All of it is fairly light weight and very portable. Here is an example where I was using this set up: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/02/trip-report-mt-washington-failed-solo.html

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I hear great things about Wiggy's sleeping bags - especially the Ultima Thule - are they the preferred option for Arctic/very cold conditions over, say, the Snugpack Antarctica?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I hear great things about Wiggy's sleeping bags - especially the Ultima Thule - are they the preferred option for Arctic/very cold conditions over, say, the Snugpack Antarctica?

From comparing them side by side earlier this year, the Ultima is much more substantial. Much thicker insulation and draught baffle foro the same weight. The Zip is beefier too.
It has the same insulation on top as the Wiggys Antarctica but is only half as thick on the bottom.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
From comparing them side by side earlier this year, the Ultima is much more substantial. Much thicker insulation and draught baffle foro the same weight. The Zip is beefier too.
It has the same insulation on top as the Wiggys Antarctica but is only half as thick on the bottom.

I think - just to clarify - that the Snugpack Antarctica and the Wiggys Antarctica are two completely different bags. I think the original post was trying to compare the Wiggys Ultima Thule to the Snugpak Antarctica. THe Snugpak has a rating of -20C, the Ultima Thule -20F = -27C.

Of the two, I'd be more inclined to believe the Wiggys rating. Why? I had the lighter Wiggy bag- the Superlight - rated down to -17C in Norway this January. Despite sleeping on a mesh cot (not recommended, as cold air circulates below the cot), I was toastie warm in my base layers down to -12C or so.

And thats ignoring it's lifetime loft guarantee regardless of whether its stored in a compression sac, and the advice to wash it as often as you like. Certainly Snugpak wouldn't give you either of those guarantees/recommendations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE