Arctic sleep system advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I am just wondering what people have used in the past to sleep in that works at silly low temperatures. Currently I have

Exped downmat 9dlx
Army bivi bag
-5 down bag
-5 softie 9 synthetic bag
Softie suit and booties
Merino base layers

Does this sound practical

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Downmat is good but should be backed up with a closed cell mat to guard against punctures.
Army bivi is heavy but functional
Whether I'd use the down or synthetic bag on the outside would depend on the dew point. You want your body moisture to freeze in/on the synthetic bag not the down bag. You'll also need to unzip the outer bag to allow the inner to loft properly. I wore insulated clothing whilst sleeping to fair effect last year. A balaclava and face mask may also be useful as you must resist the temptation to put your head inside the sleeping bag.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
2 x -5c bags don't equal -10c and my concern would be the lofting issue as well. A good rated single bag would be better but providing you can loft the bags they should do with the softies. Agreed with the kip mat. It won't necessarily be 3' of snow you're sleeping on.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The down mat plus a ccf is plenty to stop the cold coming through the ground . Ground temp remains fairly static.

Im not sure the two bags combined are enough for cold camping assuming -40 as a worst case planning temp. Maybe an army arctic bag could replace the down bag as a cheap solution. Can you get both bags nested and the softie suit on and still do up the zips without compressing the down bag?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
One of the main problems we have is everyone sleeps different , food , fatigue , age , experience all have to come into account .

Plus you cant expect to sleep the same as at home .

At minus 15 I used a Ridge rest so-lite XL , jervans bag , Dutch Army arctic bag, nanock tent boots ,wool hat , thermal base layer and slept well ( But I allways do ) .

you could bump up the rating of your Army bag with one of these ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fleece-Sl...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item43c170979a

At the end of the day I have to go the poor mans route there are loads of dedicated cold weather bags if you have the cash ,

Twodogs

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Poor man walking!
I too have used the double bag trick with good effect, Brit arctic issue with a snugpak elite 3 works well and the elite has a very small pack size.
Space is always an issue I find, ccf's rule for me out there but are a pain space wise!

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I have bought an expanda panel for the softie 9 so the down bag will fit comfortably inside instead of on the outside. I may look at a better down bag with a higher rating. And I will definitely pack a ccf mat thanks guy's.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Had a couple of the issue bags and found a big difference in them. Some have been like summer weight bags while the one I have at the mo is tip top. I like them just the pack size is silly. I have a RAB ascent 900 but find it a little snug for me so going to get shut and look at the snugpak bags.

udamiano

On a new journey
As said above, each person reacts to cold climates in a slightly different way. Some find it difficult to get warm even at moderate temperatures in the negative scale, others find they can sleep warm even at very low temperatures, your body's metabolic rate has a lot to do with this, as well as your general fitness and circulation.
In the title of your post, you've put 'Arctic' and just to clarify is that what you actually want?, or is it cold winter kit, as this also a big factor to take into consideration.
The advice above about using a foam mattress under your down mat is a very good one, as this help reduce punctures and the fact that a very low temperatures the air inside you mat will be less dense (over inflation can also be a problem, as when your body warms the mat the trapped air will expand, and can cause in some rare circumstances seams to rupture, although it is a rare occurrence) the addition mat helps by reducing the temperature range your down mat is subjected to above and below.

at sub -10 the air tends to contain less moisture than at temperatures between +5 - -10 so down bags with a good full 700+ will provide a very good level of insulation per weight.
however this insulation per weight may not always be an issue, if for instance you are travelling by car /snow mobile/ etc, modern artificial fills provide a much better thermal barrier but are more bulky and weighty. this is the choice than you need to make first. synthetic vs. down.

A bag should keep you at a comfortable temperature, as a too hot bag can be as useless as a too cold one, sweating in low sub-zero temperatures can lead to a rapid temperature loss, as the condensation acts as a conduit for heat transfer away from your body, and also a path for the cold in the outer layer to find its way back. The best method is really to trial different bags and ratings to find the best to suit you, however I might add that this should not be done while your actual in the Arctic, as finding yourself with the wrong bag 1000 miles from home is not a funny situation to be in.
Ask friends if you can borrow bags and spend cold nights out in the garden first, to help gauge the rating that best serves you.

hope this helps

Da

Last edited:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I'll be heading to Finland on the same trip, and my system is currently:
Alpkit Skyehigh 1000
Hunka XL
Issue Softie Suit, with booties
Wool Blanket
CCF Mat
Balaclava and Fluffy hat.

Would that be ok?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'll be heading to Finland on the same trip, and my system is currently:
Alpkit Skyehigh 1000
Hunka XL
Issue Softie Suit, with booties
Wool Blanket
CCF Mat
Balaclava and Fluffy hat.

Would that be ok?

You're running close to the limit on that set up. Are you sleeping on the blanket on top of the mat? If you have a chilly night, you might be cold. You won't die but you might not be comfy. I would add another blanket or CCF mat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE