Winter sleep system...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Consider throwing a silk liner into your bag. Packs down to about the size of an apple and I find it adds almost another season to the bag. Always have mine in there.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Consider throwing a silk liner into your bag. Packs down to about the size of an apple and I find it adds almost another season to the bag. Always have mine in there.

Not silk, but have just now got for a fiver, a cotton liner..........??
If it was REALLY cold, I could put my Blacks Highland bag (cotton inner) down there or the Czech army bedroll with its linen liner???

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Now , for someone slightly claustrophobic ( no mummy shapes ) that likes sleeping in the recovery position and is trying to get away from the new shiny sleeping bags and the likes , is there a winter sleeping system that fits the bill?

I'm having trouble finding something that would ...

I thought maybe a Czech roll with a wooly blanket and one of these :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321358604110 for good measure

But I thought I'd ask as the community here is pretty knowledgeable...and I might have missed the obvious choices...

Surely in the olden days (1800's) where synthetics were unheard of there would have been sleeping systems that could cope with winter?

Saying that the 5season sleeping bags aimed at fishermen seem more spacious but maybe not so effective in -15c° ( as I think that's the worst that can get down here...)

Any ideas folks?

Much appreciated

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Depending on your budget there are some really nice down duvets that pack down tiny, been very tempted myself.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Similar to you Leshy, I can't sleep in a mummy sleeping bag so I bought two snugpak jungle bags (Right and left hand) and they zip together for a double sleeping bag for summer use, plenty warm enough and plenty of space, was very happy this summer in my hammock.
I haven't been out in winter yet but I'm planning on supplementing it with a snugpak underquilt, a snugpak jungle quilt, and a wool blanket.
I have been using the snugpak jungle blanket as a duvet at the moment and it is plenty warm for me surprisingly warm for it's weight and bulk.

But then I sleep warm and don't tend to hike with my gear very far.
I also got one of TwoDogs Brit wool bush shirts which I'm planning on sleeping in if it gets cold, as it really is too warm to do any walking/work in, but then I always get too warm rather than too cold.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Not really on topic, but I too am well impressed with the warmthof ghe Snugpak jungle quilt.
I have a very old Caravan down bag which is huge, really roomy, can sleep on my side no problem, but they are I believe no longer with us. Its also very warm, rated to mi us 35 when I bought it, too heavy to carry far but for camping in winter out of the car it is a joy. There must be roomy bags out there, I have a vague memory of Robens as offering a looser fit ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE