Arctic sleep system advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Weight and bulk were concerning me :/

It soon adds up eh lol. Ive got 3 hold bags booked for our trip. Weight isnt that big an issue but pack volume definitely is. Stuff your pockets full of stuff and hang loads on a lanyard round your neck. Im at around 40kg total including the 7kg of the toboggan.

Did you sort your hauling system?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
So what are you taking to the Arctic in th sleeping department, Paul? Going for down, or using the Wiggys stuff?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Down is staying home this time Andy. Wiggys ultima thule boat foot and a jerven bag. Exped down 9lw and a ccf mat. May change the jerven for a bugaboo 2 event bivvy yet

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
It soon adds up eh lol. Ive got 3 hold bags booked for our trip. Weight isnt that big an issue but pack volume definitely is. Stuff your pockets full of stuff and hang loads on a lanyard round your neck. Im at around 40kg total including the 7kg of the toboggan.

Did you sort your hauling system?

Yup, secured a DeadSled from the U.S. Rolls down relatively small, to about the dimensions of a poster box. I think my sleeping system, as a possible final iteration, will be:

Boughs
CCF Mat
Hunka XL Bivvy bag
Wool Blanket
Antarctica RE
Softie Suit
Merino Baselayers

And possibly a Softie 9 if a) it doesn't crush the loft of the Antarctica, or b) if there's enough pack space. Sound reasonable guys?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Phaestos don't panic loads of people do trips with a good wide CCF mat , Good condition army arctic sleeping bag ,bivi bag , base layer , bivi boots and a hat .

Remember you wont sleep as well as you do at home you can allways have a flask to hand and more clothes to put on if needed .

Twodogs

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Cheers twodogs. I was getting a little stressed by it all. There are so many opinions, and as much as I try and filter, this is a big step for me in terms of survival and knowledge, so working out what it right and wrong becomes an issue. I'm fairly confident with my setup now. I'm happy to be leaving the down behind tbh, as it kept preying on my mind how it might be affected by the condensation. I know I should still be vigilant of course

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yup, secured a DeadSled from the U.S. Rolls down relatively small, to about the dimensions of a poster box. I think my sleeping system, as a possible final iteration, will be:

Boughs
CCF Mat
Hunka XL Bivvy bag
Wool Blanket
Antarctica RE
Softie Suit
Merino Baselayers

And possibly a Softie 9 if a) it doesn't crush the loft of the Antarctica, or b) if there's enough pack space. Sound reasonable guys?

i reckon that will cover you mate. Im really interested to see how these deadsleds go. If they work well its a big weight saving over a uhdpe boggan.

I take Cliffs comments about ccf on board but not all CCF mats are made equal so if you go with just the one make sure its a good thick one

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Again, its volume, but Endicotts have the nice fat Dutch mats, ( well fatter than our issue mats! )
Pobs the best of the CCf mats I have used.
Twodogs is right mate, don't over stress, read up and ask questions, but don't panic.
I have never had the coin for the best or latest gear, I have done ok and picked up better gear as I went along.
You already have some top kit.
Make sure you have had a good feed and a last hot drink before turning in.
I do star jumps, good to get in a bag warm, if you get in cold you will stay cold.

Best.

Chris.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
-51C = -60F.

Which corresponds to the Wiggys Ultima THule and outer bag combined temp guidelines (although this includes a ground mat and away from winds - eg in a tent).

Problem solved:)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Not on a budget it doesn't. Okay if you can throw money at a problem, otherwise it's an issue.

i agree, kit doesnt need to be gucci it just needs to work.

If i was doing it on the minimum possible id take an army arctic bag with a cheap inner bag. Surplus army thermarest and a nato ccf. Job done for well under £100

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
True. However a Snugpack RE costs around £150-160, plus more if you buy the extenda panel (£25-30 or more?). The Ultima Thule costs around £140 after their 20% discount, and has a rated temp of -20F, or -32C. And unlike any other sleeping bag manufacturer, he not only recommends washing the bag as often as you like, but gives a lifetime guarantee on it retaining its loft, even if you keep it fully compressed in storage. True, there are postage costs etc to the UK, but even then it would be around the same price as an RE with expanda panel.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc was the final kicker on me getting some Wiggys gear, after lots of on-line searches for how they worked in real life. Most were entirely favourable (although a minority were very rude, mainly because Wiggy has a reputation for "vigorous" defense of his goods on camping websites, which tended to upset the sensibilities of some - actually most, to be fair.) Having spoken to him several times when ordering goods, I can confirm he is somewhat "abrupt" - if he had any commercial sense he'd keep well clear of any customer-facing/PR activities, and concentrate on production and development :)

I have no personal connections with Wiggys other than as a customer. I will however say that I've been very happy with most of the gear which I've had from him, which has lived up to both my expectations and those claims made by Wiggy. Particular favourites, apart from the bags (I have the Ultima Thule boat-tail, Superlight and overbag - which fits on both), are the Antarctic Parka and the Packboots .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE