Accurate First Blood Knife. FULLSTOP.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Lovely, I'd have one just to sit on a shelf. :)

Will he/Does he produce the small folder that would sit in the handle?

n8ArZ.jpg

The 'Lile' name looks different from my own Lile knives, but maybe that is how the movie knives were labelled?

P1010164.jpg

FC9pb.jpg

(for those who do not know the little circle above the name indicates that this knife was made after Jimmy Lile had died)

Great pics, thanks for posting.

:)

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A thing of beauty? Well, aesthetics is always a troubling and personal debate; personally, I find Ben Orford's efforts more appealing to the eye. That said, I do rate the knife, not from its appearance but more from its near-iconic status in "First Blood". Whether I would buy one is a moot point. If I were to spend that kind of money, I would most definitely expect to use it but I fear that the dimensions and set-up of the blade would make it awkward to use in temperate woodland; that kind of money would also prompt me to want to cosset it and look after it. Food for thought, though.

A great review with superb pictures and a real, heart-felt enthusiasm - many thanks. It does make the whole thing curiously appealing... I mustn't... I really must not...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wonder how many others out there are doing lots of summs in their heads as we speak,,, well if i sell this, dont eat for a month, forego the mortgage its then only a simple case of getting it past the missus...

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
Not my cup of tea, but the quality shines through though. A great piece of history to keep and use.

Sent from my pie-phone, via Tip-top......…hmm Tip-top!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looks quality - not my personal cup of tea either but the craftsmanship is obvious.

Next up Southey reviews a Batleth, Fenna tries making feathersticks with an Excalibur replica and Toddy is splitting kindling with a Brainbiter copy.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Not my cup of tea, but the quality shines through though. A great piece of history to keep and use.

Sent from my pie-phone, via Tip-top......…hmm Tip-top!

Now, I'm sorry, I like a shiny as much as the next man - ditto quality workmanship. But "A great piece of history"?? Rambo??

Now if you'd said a Spitfire, or DH Mosquito, or even a Churchill tank, then I'd have gone along with you.

But - come on - Rambo? Have we really sunk that low?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now, I'm sorry, I like a shiny as much as the next man - ditto quality workmanship. But "A great piece of history"?? Rambo??

Now if you'd said a Spitfire, or DH Mosquito, or even a Churchill tank, then I'd have gone along with you.

But - come on - Rambo? Have we really sunk that low?

Fair point with Rambo, Rambo past the book and first film is not a great piece of history, but we are talking about Jimmy Lile's knife here, not just Rambo. You cannot deny that the original First Blood was an epic film. Not only that, but because of Lile's knife, it has been commended by all custom knifemaking guilds in the US as the film that saved the custom knife making industry back when it was in serious decline. It's not actually a knife you'd want to use outdoors as it is a period piece set in its own time. But as an iconic blade made by an iconic maker, it is up there at the top. If an original film used knife came up for sale it would easily fetch a couple of hundred thousand pounds plus. You can't say that of many film props, let alone knives. It spawned a whole load of quality hollow handled custom knives and mass produced junk in the millions. Some are even still available today and best sellers. Boker have just released a new version... http://www.heinnie.com/Apparo/p--8410/ So Jimmy Lile's design is easily one of the most iconic and truly a piece of knifemaking history. It's as recognisable and iconic as James Bond Walther PPK and Indiana Jones Morgan bullwhip.

Last edited:

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
- "He said he uses it for hunting."

- "Huh, what does he hunt? Elephants?"

Great movie, awesome blade. Thanks for a great review. It clear that you take great pride in owning it, which is reason enough to have commissioned it. If you use it then even better.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got another parcel in the post today. Another gem from Andy Wood. He was waiting on a shipment of Arkansas stones when my knife was finished, so he posted one on when they arrived from the States yesterday.

Yet again, no corners in quality or expense have been cut here. The perfectly cut stone is a laminate of two high quality grits sourced from the very same place Jimmy Lile got his from. The grit on both sides is fine, but the white side is even finer and has the smooth texture you get from the ceramic stones we are used to now. It tops the whole package off perfectly.

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

P1010180.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE