Accurate First Blood Knife. FULLSTOP.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You cannot deny that the original First Blood was an epic film. Not only that, but because of Lile's knife, it has been commended by all custom knifemaking guilds in the US as the film that saved the custom knife making industry back when it was in serious decline. It's not actually a knife you'd want to use outdoors as it is a period piece set in its own time.

Hmmm I hated the film with a burning passion - but mainly because I loved the book long before the film was made - and the film didn't just adapt the book, it changed a deeply poignant and meaningful tale of the horrors of war and the futility of conflict into an an antithesis of the original plot.

However - that looks to be a very well made knife and you clearly love it - which is all good news - I hope it brings many a happy hour :)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
That's Hollywood !
Hmmm I hated the film with a burning passion - but mainly because I loved the book long before the film was made - and the film didn't just adapt the book, it changed a deeply poignant and meaningful tale of the horrors of war and the futility of conflict into an an antithesis of the original plot.

However - that looks to be a very well made knife and you clearly love it - which is all good news - I hope it brings many a happy hour :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

With Vietnam still fresh in the minds of the US people and the abuse soldiers suffered upon returning home still ongoing to some extent, it would have been wrong to make an accurate screenplay from the book at that point. The book is powerful even today, and luckily I read it after I saw the film or I would have felt the same way as you. As it is, I see them as two seperate entities as they are so completely different. There was no hero in the book, just two equally strong characters very much the same heading on a collision course. In films then, and even today we need a hero, and it had to be John J. I really hope they do make a faithful production from the book though. It would go down much better now.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You said that very well Jon. What moved me about the book was that both Teasel and John R were decent men put into opposition by events beyond their control. The sadness was that the ending of the book was inevitable to make it realistic.

As you say, it deserves to be made true to the original.

Anyway, enjoy the knife

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too found the book very good and the film, though reasonably good, not a patch on the book itself ....
The Rambo sequels were just rubbish!
The knives - though not my favourite style of sharps - spawned a mass of "clones" and are certainly iconic...

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Tbh it's what got me started in knives so it's gona be on my shopping list in the future ,v near future ,did you just use the link you put up to order ? And I'm a cack hander to boot as well LOL .

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just had to check when the film came out, 1982. Good film.
I cant remember how old I was when I saw it, but that along with watching Lofty Wiseman on Blue Peter, [then stealing my brothers copy of the SAS survival handbook,] certainly left an impression. :D

I can also remember watching The Bushtucker man in the Eighties, but not much of it, and yearning for more!

Great Knife JonD.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Tbh it's what got me started in knives so it's gona be on my shopping list in the future ,v near future ,did you just use the link you put up to order ? And I'm a cack hander to boot as well LOL .

You can email Andy direct at andy@rambo-knife.com for any information or to commission a knife. I think there is about a four week lead time at the moment and you have to pay 50% as a deposit and the final amount when your knife is ready. So you don't have to fork out the whole amount in one lump.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

I just saw this interview with David Morrell and his take on things and how the last film was supposed to be the character in the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R77w-Z-tbL4

Personally at the time I read it I could not cope with the characters in the book. I can relate to John J in the first film, but not the one in the book or the last film.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I actually missed something quite important in my original post. The compass isn't the same as the one Jimmy Lile used. Andy said he will be making his own copy of that too in the very near future. The compass he does use however is arguably better than the original and is use by the SBS and SAS in their E&E and survival kit. It's quite an expensive little compass and made by Pyser SGI who make some of the best dry compasses for the military (NATO Stock Number 6605 99 522 0223) and civvy market alike. Its features are: All brass and glass construction, North and south seeking luminous points and Niva tipped brass pivot.

Pyser SGI - Product Detail

They average around £30 new. So you can see that even this part has been sourced by Andy Wood to give the best quaility, reliability and performance available.

P1010170.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, I know. Pretty grim that they are doing another. I have no interest after First Blood, it all went silly after that. The last one was quite good if you could get hold of the Directors Cut version. And that machete was cool. But the First Blood knife is the only one for me.

P1010095.jpg

P1010090.jpg

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
You can email Andy direct at andy@rambo-knife.com for any information or to commission a knife. I think there is about a four week lead time at the moment and you have to pay 50% as a deposit and the final amount when your knife is ready. So you don't have to fork out the whole amount in one lump.

just ordered :0) regular with brown sheath .......so will soon be shifting some steel to cover it ,funny as im getting older its getting bigger .

Raven1973

Nov 14, 2011
Norfolk UK
Andy is a good friend, and an astounding knife maker. I bought mine when they were first released, and I have no issues with the knife at all. :)

andyfbknife.jpg

Raven1973

Nov 14, 2011
Norfolk UK
Andy is a good friend, and an astounding knife maker, I bought mine when they were first released, and I have no issues with the knife at all. :)

andyfbknife.jpg

Raven1973

Nov 14, 2011
Norfolk UK
Not my taste, just like Rambo... sorry, cant see the point in it.

Sorry, that will be the fake fern getting in the way. :D

Yeah, Jimmy Liles movie knife desin was more for effect than practicality, that being said, they should still take a lot of abuse, a bit like us pro-Rambo knife collectors on some forums. lol :lmao:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Jimmy Liles movie knife desin was more for effect than practicality,

Actually I saw an Interview with David Morrel talking about the knife and it is an airman's survival knife, with the purpose of the big mad serrations being for cutting your way out of an aircraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE