A gripe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It's Xmas so it's gripe time for me pmsl!

Recently quite a few folk are posting exactly the same posts on here on other related but different forums.
Sometimes it appears like folk are wanting an extra pat on the back for some work they have done, or advice on something or another or hey "I've found this and done that..."....

I just find it sometimes a tad boring unless there is a new slant on the topic specific to that forum. I get fed up reading double posts!

Anyway gripe over!

you can tell I've had no sleep and am grumpy as heck! :eek: :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
But the posts wont be duplicated for the members of other forums who don't visit here etc.

Folk also want to reach out for advice or comments from a wide range of people. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I only visit three forums with any connection to bushcraft; BcUK, SotP, and BB. If I've really got time I like to have a looksee at Palaeoplanet, but that's a rare exception. I do see the same threads occasionally, but the responses are different on the three forums since the membership varies a fair bit.

cheers,
Toddy........who can sleep the clock round just now :eek:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont see an issue with posting the same post on several sites. As Barn Owl says if there are people on one site that are not on another then information and feedback can be missed.

Surely you can see from the thread title if you have read that post before and if so then you can choose not to read it again.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I live in Ireland and do not have the luxury of handling equipment before I buy because the bushcraft population is not what it is in the UK nor do we have the retail outlets that supply some of the better quality equipment that is readily available in the UK. In the UK there are large meets held regularily where kit can be seen in use etc but over here I rely on my research to chose what will work best for me.

It is for this reason that I do occasionally post on more than one forum when looking for advice. I am a fully paid up member on these forums and do not see the problem in asking a question in a few places so I can make an informed decision before I part with my hard earned cash.

I do not normally post in what could become a contencious thread but I thought that I would put my point across in this case. There are many people on here starting out on what can turn into a very expensive hobby and if they do not do their research they could end up with a lot of gear that they do not need or unsuitable for their needs. A thread like this one could discourage people from asking questions which could cost them alot of money. Forums are for chatting etc. and good ones like this one are few and far between so hopefully people will not be afraid to ask a question wherever they think they will get advice from.

Apologies if I have offended anyone.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I to have posted the same thing on another site,(once possibly twice) but like as been said, there are some people on some forums who dont go on others, when i do post twice i try and change words slightly and use the odd differant pic etc, but if i was looking for something (eg new bergen etc)i would post on as many sites as possible to gather as much info as i could on the specific item wanted, differant people would have had differant experiances with the item im after, and i would want as much feed back as possible.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
As above. If people are posting genuine information then whats the problem? I've learned loads on here. If that info is posted elleswhere then I really couldn't care less. Good information adds to good information, it doesn't replace it. ( and I stole that).

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Recently quite a few folk are posting exactly the same posts on here on other related but different forums.

I plead guilty as charged. I regularly post exactly the same thing here and elswhere and you posted the gripe on my thread here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36482&highlight=years so I must be one of the folk that upsets you.

I am sorry you are upset though I don't really understand what the problem is. Is it a question of loyalty? "you can't be one of us if you are one of them"? I have been a member of all the forums I use for the same time and enjoy them all.

When posting on different forums I post exactly the same with exactly the same title specifically so that folk only have to read it once.

Sometimes it appears like folk are wanting an extra pat on the back for some work they have done, or advice on something or another or hey "I've found this and done that..."....

Well why do any of us post anything anywhere? You could argue that we are all egotistical needy folk that enjoy a bit of attention. Or you could say we philanthropists that enjoy sharing and inspiring others out of the good of our hearts. The truth is probably somewhere between but I don't think whether you make a post once, twice or 4 times makes you any more one way or the other.:)

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
A lot of bushcraft forums members tend to stick to one forum as their 'home', and visit other bushcraft forums for a change every so often (bit like going to your local every night, then on Fri/ Saturday nights going to a different pub for a change of scenery I suppose :) ).

It's a little while since I've been on here, and didn't particularly notice that people 'double posted' so to speak until this thread. But I'm glad people do this. If people just posted their experience/ bimbles etc on just the one forum, others miss out.

For example, I'm glad you post things on other forum sites Robin, and have enjoyed reading what you share. I would have less likely come across them on here :)

Likewise, I'm sure there are people who possibly only frequent this bushcraft forum. They would lose out too if people decided not to double post, and only share things with their own 'home' bushcraft forum, and not this one :)

Btw hope you have a good sleep soon woodsmoke - tiredness sucks.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Here ya go mate... :lmao:

woodwards-gripe-water.gif

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Let them have their cake and eat it if it floats their boat. :dunno:

I think I'm with Wayland. Habitual cross posting is a bit tedious when you encounter it, and it is certainly usually motivated by self promotion of some sort, but what the hell so long as it is interesting ;) In the bad old newsgroup days it was really frowned on, but now not a big deal if there is a real story, photos, etc. People even write books about the art of self-promotion on t'Internet these days and I bet cross posting interesting stories on relevant forums that lead back to the poster in some way is one of the tricks! Fine by me so long as the commercial/advertising line is not crossed, which it certainly isn't here. One of the great things about this place IMO, I've definitely seen it abused elsewhere.

That said, the real value of these forums like the best of t'Internet, is not self promotion so much as the active promotion of amateurism within a defined community - the re-cutting and sharing of bushcraft lore and skills by amateurs and hobbyists who do it because they can, not because they have to, or even want to get past the amateur stage in any way. The place is set up with this ethos in mind, and I think cross posting to other forums goes against this a bit. Not a big deal like I say but I personally think the gripe is very understandable.

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE