A gripe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
... Fine by me so long as the commercial/advertising line is not crossed, which it certainly isn't here. One of the great things about this place IMO, I've definitely seen it abused elsewhere...

I'd agree with that, it is one of the better things about this forum. I've certainly noticed that we tend to be fiercely protective of that position.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As per Robin, guilty as charged, i too see many cross posts, if i find i ve read it before i just hit the back button and move on to another post, dont see what the problem in sharing experiences & information is personally?, certainly not self promotion on my part, i do what i do and I like to share experiences and info with others, and hope that others do the same and will continue to do so, so i can learn from their experiences, is that such a crime?

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Cant say im that bothered!!! if someone go,s to the time and effort to post something interesting ill read it if ive read the same post somewhere else ill still read it to hear different responses.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
...Recently quite a few folk are posting exactly the same posts on here on other related but different forums.
Sometimes it appears like folk are wanting an extra pat on the back for some work they have done, or advice on something or another or hey "I've found this and done that..."....

I just find it sometimes a tad boring unless there is a new slant on the topic specific to that forum. I get fed up reading double posts!

Hi W00dsmoke,

:eek: I guess I am one of those you are refering to and I suppose when you are forum hopping it can feel like you are being stalked by a particular post. You raise an interesting point which cross posters should address.

I think my motives are mixed as other peoples are too, I guess. BCUK was for a long time my sole posting forum but after a while I found that advice or feedback on some issues was not what I was hoping for as the "older" members - (off the top of my head such as bamboodoggy,spamel etc. ) seemed to dissappear so I looked elsewhere. For instance, no one could help on a stone axe question I had so I posted the same thing on Paleo.

Same with knives. I am really only interested in bushcraft tools but often the BB forum can give me better advice and feedback. Should I only post in BB then? Well, I don't really feel at home there and read only a couple of sub-forums and my loyalties are with BCUK.

However BB nags me to post every so often and rather than add my 2p worth on some topic I know little about I sometimes re-post a thread I previously did on BCUK. I think now after what you and some others have said, I will stop that.

In some cases, I think readers in a couple of forums will be interested in a topic. Finding the fire piston makers was one that I thought BCUK and Paleo members would be interested in. This I know because I have been emailed by members those forums. But rather than keep the find among a few people I felt others might like to know. Same with some other "primitive" skills I come across.

At times, my motives are simply to share my interest or excitement in some walk or event and yes a pat on the back or a friendly word would be nice:) . I am now living in an urban jungle where almost every one talks share markets, the economy, fashion TV programmes or other subjects I have no interest in. And most of them have no interest in bushcraft, wilderness travel or similar.

So BCUK ,Paleo and a couple of other places are a refuge in between trips to the bush.

I have recently started a blog but before that another motive was to let my older children who live in Australia see what their old dad has been up to as we do not meet often.

What you say has merit as a reminder that us cross posters (like cross dressers) should ask ourselves "Is it appropriate or are we attention seeking?"

Merry Christmas W00dsmoke

Ash

xylaria

I don't think the majority of threads are started out of ego. I certain don't think that starting a thread in more than one place is egotistical. I very rarely start any threads, is that because I lack ego? Should I apply to be the next Dali Lama, as I have obviously admonished my ego?

If I don't want to watch a repeat on the telly I turn over. I do feel long tutorials on a simple skill is egotistical, but I could read fantastic adventures of Bod all day. I would love to know how a nest bowls can be carved out of one block of wood. Articles into which a lot of skill or research went deserve to be repeated.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
youll often find that on the same day bbc news will have simmilar or the same news as ITN, Ch4 and sky news!! i dont feel i need to watch them all, I just watch watever one i see first.

same with the forums, if ive seen it i change channel...

rancid badger

I've been posting a few duplicate threads lately too. The main reason for this in my case, is that I've only just joined on BCL, so a lot of people over there, don't know me or what I do.The same goes for SoTP.

I would have thought it obvious that, in the same way many BCUK members stick with this site, many members on other forums do the same, someone pointed out that the responses are very different on the different forums and I totally agree, so there is no way that I will stop sharing things I post on here, with people on other sites, as long as I feel that what I want to post is relevant.

An example is a restoration project on an old Tilley lamp I'm planning;
Should I post only on BCUK? or maybe ignore BCUK in favour of BCL or SoTP? or should I share the experience?, while at the same time, hopefully collecting sound advice from as wide a sample of the potentially knowledgeable public, as possible? I can assure you; I won't be posting to show off! I'll need help and I've found that spreading your net as wide as possible is usually the best bet.

I don't post for ego, I post to share, learn and hopefully inspire, as I have learned and been inspired, since joining (except when trying to flog something:D )

Of Course:
The OTHER reason for duplicating, is that it's a damn site easier than trying to put together separate threads.;)

I edit the threads to comply with the different sites rules, so they aren't complete copies!:deal:

It's a good gripe through!

I'm off to tinker with the pile of scrap that was delivered this morning, I may or may not post a thread about it in future but If I do, I'll probably duplicate across the three forums of which I am a member.

all the best R.B.

Fantastic responses there folks, I'm quite surprised. Apologies on my part if folk have taken this a bit too seriously as this was not my intent! It was just a gripe albeit based on me being a grumpy older gripe and it's gripe time again because they always happen at this time! Oh by the way gripey doesn't mean upset, it just means griped, gripe, like grumpy which is obviously me at the mo!

Comments taken on board but please do bear in mind that when folk do view other forums and folk have cross posted the exact same post from one to another, it would be a tad less boring for me (and a few other gripes who have supported me being gripey:You_Rock_ ) if there was a different slant specific to that forum and it wouldmake it a heck of a lot more interesting!

Anyway as previously stated on many other forums ...gripe over:p

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> if there was a different slant specific to that forum and it would make it a heck of a lot more interesting! <Snip

If there was free access to all across all the forums I can see that there might be an issue here.

However, part of the problem is that the community has been split over the last few years.

There are people that cannot log on here due to getting banned and some people here, who do not feel welcome on other forums for various reasons too.

Many of these people know each other and consider them selves friends, even though they are divided by circumstance.

As such there is a quite understandable desire by people who do have free access to all the forums, to share information with all the people they know.

The different types of response are not particularly due to a differing site ethos but more to do with the different people on that site.

Gailainne

Life Member
If there was free access to all across all the forums I can see that there might be an issue here.

However, part of the problem is that the community has been split over the last few years.

There are people that cannot log on here due to getting banned and some people here, who do not feel welcome on other forums for various reasons too.

Many of these people know each other and consider them selves friends, even though they are divided by circumstance.

As such there is a quite understandable desire by people who do have free access to all the forums, to share information with all the people they know.

The different types of response are not particularly due to a differing site ethos but more to do with the different people on that site.

Theres some interesting points there Gary, I myself have posted the same thread (pasted it and screwed up as the tools were different :eek: ) on different forums, one of the reasons being for people/friends who for whatever reason do not come to BCUK.

I must freely admit I also do it for ego, I dont think there is anything wrong in posting something you have created especially if its self taught, to be judged by your peers, you normally get constructive critisism, or if no-one posts, its an obvious "must do better" :rolleyes:.

Also the different forums (in my estimation) look at your project from different view points, highlighting different areas of your work, thats what I have found anyway.

wOOdsmoke , gripe away mate, contention always leads to lively discussion, as long as its civil :grouphug:

Merry Christmas

Stephen

Post something on BB, BCUK and BCL, etc. and you may get completely different responses (and from the same people too).

I think there's no problem with cross posting, as long as you are the original author. If you don't like reading things twice, you can always stick to only one forum. AFAIK, BCUK doesn't claim copyright and exclusivity from its members' posts and it shouldn't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE