2 year old Frazer and his 1st knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I thinks it's great and will be doing something similar, what a great way to learn.

Thank you.
To be fair I wasn't expecting such a great response to what I had made my boy his morning ,ive now realised how much he could learn from such a simple thing to make .

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Southwestern USA
Well as title my lil man keeps asking ,for a knife chop chop daddy ,
So I thought well what harm can it do so he's got his very own bushy and dangler sheath.
All comments good and bad welcome .

null-46.jpg

I'm no expert and I see nothing wrong with what I've made my lil lad but if this offends anybody I will apologise in advance.
As my lil boy is always by my side watching me carve and make things with knives and follows me everywhere just thought this would be a safe way to educate Frazer on knife skills .
Hope you like it as much as Frazer.

Awwww!!! How CUTE!!!!!

You should do a tutorial, man. I want make my wee one, one of those. But I am not very handy with woodwork at the moment. But I am working on it :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That reminds me of a toy we got for our children when they were younger, a wooden knife [much more poorly made than your one] and some wooden fruit and veg which had been chopped in half and had velcro glued to them. The idea being the kids can 'cut' the fruit and veg up with the knife, then you discretely put them back together and hand them back to the kid to have another go - pretty soon they're making fruit salads:)

My daughter has has something similar, but with meat and sausages, the velcro makes a satisfying tearing noise when she cuts through it. The brand is 'plantoys'.

:)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Awwww!!! How CUTE!!!!!

You should do a tutorial, man. I want make my wee one, one of those. But I am not very handy with woodwork at the moment. But I am working on it :)
It's quite simple all you do is select a piece of wood, draw around one of your knives ,rough out the shape with an axe ,then whittle the rest into the desired shape and sand it down job done .
The sheath is made from Lino nice and safe alround.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Sounds great I too have a two yo boy and he wants to join daddy with everything but with your idea he might be able to join in. I've got an old leather sheath that will come in handy!?...

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
mate I think it's brilliant and see no harm in teaching any child to use a tool .
I am going to make one for my 2 year old if you don't mind me stealing your genius .
And as we are all going to the moot he wont feel so left out .
But I ask would a wooden axe be a step to far ? :viking:

Guys.... they need First Aid Kits if they are carrying those at the Moot.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham

Are you serious????
I'm not going to the moot but others will be with little kids .if they have wooden tools and do need a FAK I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem to add to their belt kit although I don't see the need .
Rules are rules I suppose.

Last edited:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
T2T - not wishing at all to go 'all heavy' on this thread, but there was only one 'serious' issue with your first post - the apology in advance bit! :)

Nothing to be apologetic about and the fact that it was clearly a concern for you just indicates how far we all ( eg Bushcraft, deer stalkers, people that dont shop exclusively at M & S / Waitrose etc ) have been driven onto the back foot by the 'PC' brigade. But not the place for politics, so really just to say good job! ;)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex

Not a bad idea really, gets them thinking about it at an early age. Just fill it with a few fun plasters (I used to get blood and gore ones from poundland, things like badly stitched open wounds. Kids love 'em) and a bandage etc. Nothing expensive etc.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good stuff, he'll be on metal soon.
My boy (3yrs) loves helping to chop carrots for dinner, he's quite a dab hand with a blade. Some would say I'm a bad parent!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE