11,000 year old pendant...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe it was a present made for mum by a 5 year old? Looks like it.
Every parent receive stuff made by our precious little ones!

Of course, if you belong to the Däniken fan club, I am sure you can find a star map on it, if you compare enough positions of stars.
( wrote with tongue in cheek,)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Given there is very little "proven" in archeology i'd like to know how you can back that up?

Sent from my UMI eMAX using Tapatalk

By reading about excavations and the conclusions drawn from them and talking to archaeologists feel free to do the same if you want.

There is a lot proven in archaeology and like all scientists they are willing to adapt those conclusions in the light of new evidence. Do not misunderstand what theory and proof are. Ethnology shows the problem, for example, an outbreak of dysentery in an African village was treated by ritual but that ritual consisted of everybody collecting as many flies as they could to be burnt with a sacrificed goat. Ritual might not have solved anything but clearing out many flies certainly did. Much the same as water supplies being regarded as sacred and thus not to be polluted.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There is a lot proven in archaeology and like all scientists they are willing to adapt those conclusions in the light of new evidence.

This is classic.

It's proven until someone else disproves it. Either way the point still stands. We as a species try and ascribe meaning to everything, especially the meaningless. For all we know Stonehenge could've just been a sculpture. Spiral marks carved into rocks just graffiti. Some random lines on an old pendant a decoration made from a child to a mother.

But these are never proffered as potential explanations because they are not romantic and do not tug at the human psyche.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Mostly not offered as explanations because we know how little random and pointless behaviour exists in the world. This is especially so if repeats of that behaviour are identified. Present from child to mother a possibility but that very act, if that is what it was, carries a potential host of information on relationships and skills and access to materials it ain't random.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Graffiti happens an awful lot, as does art, it's purpose is obscure, decorative or disruptive in intent but there is no "reason" to it that is easy to ascribe. Case in point - There's an office building in Leeds as you drive in from the North. Someone has graffiti'd their "tag" in huge letters, one on each window over the entire building. It's been there years.

Let's examine it through the eyes of a stranger from a strange time - Who is this celebrated leader of men that gets so much advertising? Some political opponent?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8...4!1sHfbC9Cqivci4-3gHUJHJlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Graffiti happens an awful lot, as does art, it's purpose is obscure, decorative or disruptive in intent but there is no "reason" to it that is easy to ascribe. Case in point - There's an office building in Leeds as you drive in from the North. Someone has graffiti'd their "tag" in huge letters, one on each window over the entire building. It's been there years.

Let's examine it through the eyes of a stranger from a strange time - Who is this celebrated leader of men that gets so much advertising? Some political opponent?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8...4!1sHfbC9Cqivci4-3gHUJHJlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Graffiti declares gang turf, makes the perpetrator feel good, declares that they are against "the man" and there are many other reasons. Some even think that urban art embellishes an area. Not a random action in sight.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Graffiti declares gang turf, makes the perpetrator feel good, declares that they are against "the man" and there are many other reasons. Some even think that urban art embellishes an area. Not a random action in sight.

You're fixating on the word random and applying it out of context - I'll repeat what I said below.

The content is random, not the act. However (again) my point still stands. A Random (content) piece of graffiti (be it a name, a squiggle or a picture of a squid) has little meaning beyond that of decoration, art or fashion. There is no ritual, spiritual or technical meaning behind it.

It is not a star map, a tally of cattle, a tribute to a god, a counting of seasons, a numeric or alphabetic system... it's a piece of vanity, a social comment at best.

This is never proffered as an explanation - at least certainly not in the media, yet it is just as likely unless other substantive evidence is present.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I trust that this is a friendly, has no chance of getting out of hand, type of exchange, as you're (that's a general you're) probably realising there's certain chemistries that we are very conscious of as mods and we'd hate for anything to get out of hand, I'm just insecure and after a little reassurance :D

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I trust that this is a friendly, has no chance of getting out of hand, type of exchange, as you're (that's a general you're) probably realising there's certain chemistries that we are very conscious of as mods and we'd hate for anything to get out of hand, I'm just insecure and after a little reassurance :D

Don't worry Tony. I know Sandbender can get out of hand from time to time, but we'll reign him in if needed.

:rolleyes:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
And it may well not be any of those things such as star maps but I would settle for a guaranteed trinket made for a mother. Think what an amazing insight into life and relationships that would mean.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
And it may well not be any of those things such as star maps but I would settle for a guaranteed trinket made for a mother. Think what an amazing insight into life and relationships that would mean.

I'd be surprised if relationships have changed that much since civilisation began, we're still the same human beings we were back then, I suppose in some societies the bonds of parenthood were purposefully broken but I think that's the exception rather than the rule?

I'd prefer it to be a mothers day gift, or a a scribble of a hobbiest craftsman. If I were to read anything into it then I'd say it looked like that it had been used, rubbed out then re-used. But see how easy it is to be drawn in. The woods are littered with my failed whittlings, gawd only knows how they'd be interpreted if found 2000 years hence.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am planning on being buried with my Warhammer figures laid neatly out beside me.

Ill need at least a 20 acre plot.

Future Archaologists will be thrilled and I may get a museum dedicated to me.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Saw this on facebook, mystery solved.
12802706_10208958128689928_3335230938457672600_n.jpg

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I am planning on being buried with my Warhammer figures laid neatly out beside me.

Ill need at least a 20 acre plot.

Future Archaologists will be thrilled and I may get a museum dedicated to me.

If it's Time Team that discover you they'll surmise you were either a high ranking priestess or privileged nobility who commanded a vast empire and the site will have been of significant spiritual importance with people travelling from all across the land to visit it.
Queen Tengu does have a certain ring to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE