Climate Change & Survival.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Which ones? I was amused that virtually the same day the BBC ran a story about the lack of wasps were were overrun by them and probably had the most wasps for several years.

Plenty of bumbles about and, as a bee keeper, some of my hives have done well.

There does seem to be a lack of butterflies and moths here, but hard to say why. Was it the cold wet spring, dry summer last year or the fact more old pasture around us is being ploughed up and either reseeded with plain grass or grain, new pesticides or somethig else?
Yep, just discovered two wasps nest in my loft this week. First time in four years. They’re being left - won’t be around for long.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The original post was a deliberate intentional click-bait attack designed to create divisive views and division within this otherwise mild community. It follows a familiar format, well known to security services.
The intention of such posters is to create disharmony, acrimony and alarm/reactions. The nominal justification given for this is generally that of "raising awareness of what's going on" & "any discussion is good". Many well -intentioned and caring folk get caught up in this, believe it and repost etc.

But behind this there are many state and state-funded actors supplying and encouraging such upset, misinformation and ill-will any way that they can. Their view is that any disruptive effect of any type is a success.

We all have our own views on these subjects, and discussion on here will not progress or really change that, but can cause personal animosity and division. May I suggest everybody stop posting on this subject, however well -intentioned.

Nope, Le Loup was a long-time member that posted frequently and interestingly from a different perspective than many of us; I miss his participation though I rarely agreed with him :) He took offence at how this particular thread was responded to and we haven't seen him since - our loss IMO.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Nope, Le Loup was a long-time member that posted frequently and interestingly from a different perspective than many of us; I miss his participation though I rarely agreed with him :) He took offence at how this particular thread was responded to and we haven't seen him since - our loss IMO.
I miss him too, he had a great wealth of knowledge, and you are right, due to some opinionated persons he no longer posts, which is all wrong. Tolerance of others opinions , with reasoned discussions is acceptable, but attacking with downright rudeness is not. I don't blame him for leaving, but it is sad to have lost a decent member.
Right or wrong on this topic is hard to comprehend for some, which is a real shame. Reasoned discussion has more effect than trying to brow beat or dismiss another's opinion.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
The difficulty is that many of those lecturing others on this topic (outside this forum) are wealthy hippocrites. When they give up their private jet use, when they downsize to one home and don't fly then maybe what they are saying would get more credibility.

Also need practical solutions, the National Grid losing resilience in the name of "green" will just cause anger when the lights go out during a midwinter blocking high. All so very predictable and avoidable.

There is emotive language on both sides when long term practical phased plan is needed.

For example. Electric cars are not the answer. A different lifestyle comes closer, basically using less "stuff." But it's the wrong end of the telescope that so often rules. I was listening to a program on Radio 4 the other day, they were testing the claims of which was the "greenest" dishwasher tablet. But they didn't even contemplate not having a dishwasher as an option, and those participating decided they would prioritise "cleaning performance " over "green."

GC

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Very mixed reports on this issue. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to have used 27 gallons of water in my hand wash?

• Haha
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There is a knack to washing up with minimal water. Wash things up in the evening .
First glass, then cutlery, scrape plates well and do them next. Finaly pans. Learned this in brownies for my housekeepers badge aged 7.
You shouldn't need to rinse if you wipe things dry after leaving them for a few mins to drip, but if you do feel the need, a jug of water poured over the items in the draining rack will suffice .
That's one washing up bowl full of water to wash up for four. Done it many times. Uses much less than a machine.
Done every day for a week, that's seven gallons. How much does a machine use? And how many times a week is it used?
Often a glass that's just had water or squash in realy only needs a quick rinse under the tap, less than a glass full.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
First glass, then cutlery, scrape plates well and do them next. Finaly pans.
Oh thank you for this!

I can still hear my granny standing by her shallow stone sink and telling me exactly that after Christmas dinner.

Washing up in our family is a social occasion. My children quickly learned the only answer to the question, “Aw Dad, do I HAVE to?” Christmas washing up is a big thing that involves damson gin.

• Haha
Reactions: GreyCat

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh thank you for this!

I can still hear my granny standing by her shallow stone sink and telling me exactly that after Christmas dinner.

Washing up in our family is a social occasion. My children quickly learned the only answer to the question, “Aw Dad, do I HAVE to?” Christmas washing up is a big thing that involves damson gin.
Sometimes the old (analogue) ways are the best. Wot ain't broke don't need fixin.
I blame the TV programme tomorrow's world for a lot of our expectations.....note the word programme.........applies to a lot of modern living. We are programmed to buy stuff that we don't realy need, and only want because we are programmed to.
I often noticed I fancied something advertised on TV, and I'd go and buy it. Since getting rid of the neural programming box, I don't want or need anything more than I actualy do want or need. What a revelation! Not only saved money on the TV licence, or buying a new one every few years to keep up with the latest tech, but I'm not wasting it on completely needless crap.... especially gadgets and over processed food. My bank balance is very pleased that I'm no longer tempted by the newest cheeze and chorizo and e number stuffed crust pizza, or...........sorry, can't think of anything as I've not seen any programmes or adverts for donkeys years!

Does anyone actualy do a cheese and chorizo stuffed crust pizza? If not, I need to get busy setting up my own pizza company.! :)

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I think some technology reflects the changes in modern ways of life, and personally I think a dishwasher gives me back some valuable time which the modern world takes away in the form of commutes and long working hours.

In the times where it was more common for someone to be at home taking care of the house, or when work was a local affair, perhaps things like manual dish and clothes washing was less of a big deal.

In the modern world where everyone in a household works full time, commutes maybe 2 hours per day and has to travel further away to do things due to the death of local high streets, I think these time saving appliances are wonderful.

I don’t do my dishes by hand and I’m very thankful not to have to. Dishwasher runs about twice a week once full on ‘eco’ mode and uses negligible energy or water.

Reactions: Wandjina

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
So, even the most economical and efficient dishwasher uses more in one cycle than I do in a whole week.
Admitted, I live alone, so produce less washing up, maybe i wont need to wash up every night, depending on what im cooking, or if im just having a salad, cutting water use even more, but I can still do a four place setting each day, over a week, using less than the machine uses in one wash, (even if it's only used once a week.)
Plus I'm using water already heated, and not using electricity to actualy wash up.
I'm not a fan of leaving dirty dishes to grow bacteria in a moist environment, while it takes two or more days to fill the machine with enough crockery to make a wash viable.
Just wondering how a machine is more ecological and efficient?
Or am I thick? :)
Please explain.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
My dishwasher uses about 8L of water on eco mode - probably about the same as a 3/4 full washing up bowl, and of course doesn't include any additional rinsing done after the scrub in the bowl. No idea where these claims of 27 gallons an such have come from - perhaps they're using figures from very old dishwashers?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In addition, a dishwasher heats the water as needed; the hot water doesn't run through a cold pipe before getting to the application and avoids the need to run off excessive water before you start filling the bowl.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think some technology reflects the changes in modern ways of life, and personally I think a dishwasher gives me back some valuable time which the modern world takes away in the form of commutes and long working hours.

In the times where it was more common for someone to be at home taking care of the house, or when work was a local affair, perhaps things like manual dish and clothes washing was less of a big deal.

In the modern world where everyone in a household works full time, commutes maybe 2 hours per day and has to travel further away to do things due to the death of local high streets, I think these time saving appliances are wonderful.

I don’t do my dishes by hand and I’m very thankful not to have to. Dishwasher runs about twice a week once full on ‘eco’ mode and uses negligible energy or water.
Absolutely. If I was retired and needed something to fill my day, perhaps I would give up the dishwasher and washing machine. As it is, the energy use isn’t some obscene amount and so I’m happy to treat myself to there use.

Reactions: Wandjina and Chris

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I find the whole climate change topic both exhausting and interesting.
I find it most interesting talking to real people who work real jobs in a real world and learn little ways to better myself and my surroundings, and most exhausting talking to the people whose job is to tell other people what to do and how bad things are... why you ask? Because I have seen first hand, the levels of hypocracy from those exact people.
It's often those official people who travel at the financial expense of others, and quite honestly are the worst people to deal with. It would likely be unfair to say that applies to everyone, but I can say that the 'real people' on a whole live life like you'd expect, sometimes overindulge here and there, but often try to limit the footprint like we all do. The "officials", at least the ones I have come across, very rarely limit their footprint.

I will continue my life as I see fit, I try here and there to reduce my plastic waste, I try to recycle and reuse where I can, when we kayak we often beach clean and I'll do my best to limit general wastage. However, if I want to jump on a flight and jet off to the otherside of the world, I will, with no guilt.

As for insects, I've never seen so many damn fruit flies in my life, flies in general seem to be doing all they can to be an irritant, we've had lot of bees on our little plant selections, spiders galore. I'd be very surprised if this year is the hottest on record, at least in my area... It's been a much more pleasant and bearable summer this year than last years.

Reactions: GreyCat and Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE