Your limited

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Knife
Lighter
Food (loads)
Pot
Big fat tent (basically a house, protecting me from all the elements :) )

I assume I'd be allowed to wear all the wool clothing I like?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think I'd take an axe over a knife, you can choke up on an axe and do fine stuff as well as chop wood for a fire. If it was down to five bits of kit, taking an axe over a knife would definitely be the way ahead.

So:

Axe (GB SFA)
Pot for cooking in (Stainless steel, no specific brand in mind)
Food (cannot rely on living off the land in UK)
Blanket, woolen, one times fro the use of!
Reliable firelighting kit.

No need for a sleeping bag, if you have a fire and a blanket then you'll get by. A decent shelter could be knocked up with the use of an axe, so a debris shelter or a lean to with a fire in front will see you through the night in relative comfort. And gutting of fish or animals can be done with a pointy stick if you really need to, so the axe will work! You'd just have to adapt your technique. Food in UK cannot be sourced 100 per cent all of the time. You have to take basic staples at least. Fire lighting kit, well, I could bow drill, but I wouldn't want to rely on it in carp weather. Why make it more difficult? Take a lighter with you with plenty of fuel. In fact, take two or three disposable ones, just in case one runs out.

Mors said that a good pot is one of the things that will make life in the woods so much easier. There are ways around pots, but I wouldn't want to have to use them as it makes things so much more complicated. I quite liked Mors' story about urns which went something like this;

"Why pay a fortune for an urn after you have been cremated? My billy can is up to the task and I've carried it around for however many years. I've told my wife that I want to be buried in it!"

Got to say, it makes perfect sense to me!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive seen urns in the hardware shop for £2.00 nothing says you love a person than an urn from the hardware shop.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Assuming that the 5 items of "kit" are in addition to food and "normal" clothing for the woods - and I class my swanni shirt and Mosgiel as normal, along with my Swazi anorak!

My Greg Venters knife (with sheath of course)
Firesteel (army)
Waterbottle (HM Forces issue)
USMCPro Tarp (3m x 3m)
16cm Zebra Billycan (as supplied, including the bowl it comes with)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I think the first three are easy:

knife
firesteel
pot

reckon i could construct a rainproof shelter, and maintain a full length fire through the night to just sleep in clothes, but building that shelter in first place, and gathering enough fuel to stay warm through each night, eats into my food foraging time.

think a waterbottle might be number four, cos im gonna be pretty busy through the day and dont want to dehydrate. and my pots gonna be all about getting calories down my neck, not sitting idle storing water

hmmm, number five, spool of fishing line maybe

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
one small folding table with stool
knife, fork and spoon
plate
slap up meal
and one of those watches with the emergency rescue beacons on:D i'll just sit and wait

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well Im not really up to this level of skill, but Id like to say

flint boulder
magnesium artificial flint (works fine with a flint striker no need for iron)
billycan
big reindeer hide

The truth looks a little more like....
Machete
firelighter
pot
tent
sleeping bag
food
wildplant book

which is seven items, but im not afraid to admit I'm a novice!

If Im allowed a luxury item , which I know Im not, Id take my painting kit. Ill exchange the tent for that and build a haphazard shelter.

...and gathering enough fuel to stay warm through each night, eats into my food foraging time.

In such situations you need to be energy & time efficient, hence whenever you're out foraging you can also be collecting firewood or vice versa whichever is applicable (rather than making separate trips.

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, just wanted to pass on a tip to anyone who may find it useful.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Maybe, but to keep a large/long enough fire (6ft long) to warm me all night without a blanket or sleeping bag, and one that can let me sleep instead of having to constantly tend it, would require fuel of the size/diameter that id sooner not be carting around half the day. My expectations of soley foraging for food would be travelling quite a way from camp.

So i guess a lot depends on the environment, if firewood was close at hand, then my original choices remain. If not, then maybe i have to forgo my fishing line, for a sleeping bag, build an enclosed shelter and remove the need for fuel other than cooking.

but thats just removed fish from my diet, and i was counting on my fishing to see me through. .. . . cos nooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaay am i eating worms n slugs n ****

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
OK so here's my list:

1. Credit card without a limit
2. Satelite telephone
3. GPS
4. Heat canon
5. Very very very very long extansion cord......

And now for real:

1. Axe
2. Firesteel
3. Billycan
4. Hammock and tarp
5. Dutch army sleeping bag set.

Now I assume, the clothes I have on, and the items I always carry around are also included, for this would give me a Victorinox ranger pocket knive and a compass (on my watch).

Grtz,

Niels

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Without clothes or anything:

1. My gransfors sjövik/lars fält pocket axe
2. Tentipi (luxury :) ), otherwhise a german poncho
3. Woolen blanket (as clothes and sleeping)
4. Firesteel
5. Food (potatoes and bacon, easy to cook without pot)

for a week:

my bahco laplander
mora carbon clipper
a big box of cook's matches in a plastic bag
billycan set
a food parcel (fastened with duct tape;)) containing: 7x boil in the bag rice, 2kg pasta, box of veg. oxo, 6 eggs suitably packaged, jar of mixed herbs, salt, black pepper, 1kg flour, 1kg margarine, food bag containing 5 heaped teaspoons of curry powder, and bag of yorkshire teabags.

between the shelter and the fire, i should be warm enough. that's enough food for a week, and could be augmented by wild food, if i can find any.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
for a week:

my bahco laplander
mora carbon clipper
a big box of cook's matches in a plastic bag
billycan set
a food parcel (fastened with duct tape;)) containing: 7x boil in the bag rice, 2kg pasta, box of veg. oxo, 6 eggs suitably packaged, jar of mixed herbs, salt, black pepper, 1kg flour, 1kg margarine, food bag containing 5 heaped teaspoons of curry powder, and bag of yorkshire teabags.

between the shelter and the fire, i should be warm enough. that's enough food for a week, and could be augmented by wild food, if i can find any.

I`d like to ammend my list please.

1. Every single item in my bushy cupboard, attic and cellar (wrapped in duct tape)
2. Ray, Mors, Les, Patsy Kensit, Kirsty Gallagher and Kiera Knightley (wrapped in duct tape)
3. 1 x Morrisons delivery truck (wrapped in duct tape)
4. British Columbia (wrapped in duct tape)
5. 50g packet of baccy, and papers (wrapped in duct tape)

Rich

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Seven whole days in the woods:

1. L85 A1 bayonet with infantry sheath.

2. Soldier 95 sleep system, as recieved from stores ( bag, roll mat, bivvy and bivvy bag ).

3. 4 rat packs, I could never eat a whole one in a day.

4. 16cm SSteel billy.

5. Large water container on wheels.

The ideal set up for your standard NATO potato.

I'd probably really take:

Knife
Billy
Tarp
Survival tin
Blankie.

Andy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE