The Uninitiated but keen to see the cold.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im off to Scotland in March.

So, some bits will still be wintery and under snow.

I want to have adventures in the snow!

My sole experience with real snow is skiing holidays...(Oh, a pair of X countrys would be nice but no...)

So, what should I be needing?

Im trying to keep my kit fairly generic, as I have limited space (and that is mostly devoted to work)

Boots, of course, but its a toss up between Timberland Snow boots and my Swedish ones...both potentially good for work on chilly days

I have long johns but they are all old army surpluses

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just layers works fine, Tengu. A decent waterproof, that's windproof is a good thing too.

Mind when you're out in the snow that if the Sun comes out, it gets really hot, so if you're up high, sunglasses are a kindness to the eyes.
Mind the sunblock and the sun f lipchap stuff too.

Make sure you have something dry to get into when you get back to the car though. You can become a sweaty mess in a hurry if the snow's deep. It's a real effort at times.

Have fun :D

M

Reactions: SaraR

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Right. Gaiters, googles, suncream.

I suspect my Vango Mk 10 is too bulky to pack...an ordinary tent?

And what stove? I know gas will not be suited to such tempretures.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I avoid uttering the word Coleman and you’d need to practice but I have to admit for carefree cooking below zero it works.

I’d use a KK and a Trangia, possibly side by side but that presumes wood for the Kelly and the knack of lighting cold alcohol for the Tranny which has to be learned.

Nope - a Coleman (spit) stove would be ideal.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Depends how much snow and how far from safety you are, but:

1. Dry bags. You must have some spare warm, dry clothing.
2. Emergency/survival bag
3. Snow shovel
4. Jetboil/gas stove of some kind that will give you guaranteed hot water if needed

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
If you're hill walking, take two pairs of gloves. One to wear and one stuffed down inside your clothing. Then if / when the pair you're wearing get damp or cold, you can swap them.
Some kind of thin merino wool balaclava. Cotswolds sell them.
Sounds like you will be camping? If so, in addition to whatever you're wearing during the day, I'd recommend a set of thermals to wear in the tent, as well as a down jacket reserved for tent / camp use. A spare bottle that can be filled with hot water to warm a sleeping bag works wonders.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
So snow is new. Are you used to camping in the cold?
It’s the ground that will get you. Put everything you can underneath your sleeping bag…….. and there’s nothing wrong with a hot water bottle.
I’m presuming you’ll be in a group with others. If not there is more to be said!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
, sunglasses are a kindness to the eyes.
They are a must if it is anything like here in spring when sun shines and white snow on the ground. When I go outside in coditions like that it´s so bright I can´t keep my eyes open, it hurts like shinng a very bright torch in the eyes.

Reactions: Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Im off to Scotland in March.

So, some bits will still be wintery and under snow.

I want to have adventures in the snow!

My sole experience with real snow is skiing holidays...(Oh, a pair of X countrys would be nice but no...)

So, what should I be needing?

Im trying to keep my kit fairly generic, as I have limited space (and that is mostly devoted to work)

Boots, of course, but its a toss up between Timberland Snow boots and my Swedish ones...both potentially good for work on chilly days

I have long johns but they are all old army surpluses
What are you going to be doing?

With baselayer Long Johns and long sleeve top, plus a warm jumper underneath normal trousers and a wind- and waterproof jacket, you‘ll be fine especially if you‘re moving around.

Really protect your extremities, warmer socks, gloves (or mittens or gloves and mittens) a buff or scarf and a hat that goes down over your ears. I often wear two buffs, one to pull up higher on the face and one to plug the neck opening.

If you‘re going to stand around a lot, then warmer boots and jacket are nice.

Regarding boots, it‘s more important that they are suitable for the type of activity that you‘ll be doing. Big snow boots are lovely for standing around, but can be hell to hike in. Thicker, warm socks are great, but don‘t go so thick that you restrict circulation in your feet in your boots or that you get blisters.

Bring a sitting pad and if you‘ll be stationary a lot, something (e.g. a cut off piece of cellfoam mat) to put on the ground under your boots.

At the temperatures that you‘re likely to get in Scotland, it‘s not the cold but the wind that you need to worry about. And melting snow/sleet. It‘s so easy to get wet feet even when if you‘re trying to be careful.

If you‘re camping, you need very good insulation underneath you, a decent sleeping bag or similar to go on top, base layer to sleep in and a dry warm jacket that you protect at all cost during the day. The same when hiking, have a puffy jacket (or whatever) in a dry bag in your pack. Also have spare hat and gloves in your pack. You do not want to go without if you happen to lose a glove for example.

It‘s heavy, but I usually carry a thermoflask with hot water. That way, you can always get a hot drink fast even when your dexterity is gone.

If it‘s proper cold, Wispa chocolate bars are great because you can bite into them without ruining your teeth even when they‘re cold. :)

Reactions: Falstaff and Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You asked about a stove.
Well these little Hexi tablets are the simplest and very reliable. They will burn in any sort of Hobo or even on a tin lid surrounded by three stones.
They are a good price even with the postage.

pee ess - Don’t take any notice of the bush lawyer alarmists. These tablets are in common use and are being sold by an established enterprise in England under English law.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That sweater I sent you last year was for you to use in Scotland. Don't forget to take it!
Get some cheap down socks to wear in a tent to keep your feet warm, and a pair of down trousers saved my legs when I was in serious minus temps in Sweden, worn with a pair of thermals and a pair of ski pants, even snowmobiling in minus 25 on top of a mountain I was cosy.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I suspect my Vango Mk 10 is too bulky to pack...an ordinary tent?

How are you going to get there/move around? On foot? Vehicle?

For a first attempt I'd say that it's a tall order if you're restricted to just what you can carry and I'd urge caution. If you have a vehicle it's *much* easier to carry what you need to look after yourself. I really wouldn't want to carry my artic bag very far, and if I put it in my bergen there wouldn't be room for anything else.

And what stove? I know gas will not be suited to such tempretures.

Depends on the gas. If it's a mix of butane and propane you'd probably be OK, but pure butane boils around zero degrees so you'd need to keep the canister warm when you're using it. Gas in canisters is an expensive way to cook and I've never liked the idea of putting a cold canister of gas up my jumper.

I absolutely love the old Optimus 111 pump-action stoves for cold work. The same stove (more or less - there *is* a 111B which only runs on petrol) can run on petrol or paraffin (which I prefer for use over a long period mainly because it's cheaper). The little '8'/'8R'/'8F' is a lot smaller and lighter, runs on petrol, and has no pump so that's a whole lot of maintenance eliminated. There are many similar stoves, unfortunately now mostly collectors' items. I always take a little bottle of meths to prime any of them but one advantage of petrol is that you can just let a bit dribble into the priming cup and light it - no need for meths. You can't do that with just paraffin, but you can put a wick in the priming cup and light the wick. That can start to get messy, especially if the wick is a bit of string and not fibreglass. If you do prime with petrol or paraffin it's very smoky and that will make a mess on the pot if it's on the stove while you're priming it. If you use meths it won't. All these stoves need to be treated with respect, they can be dangerous if used carelessly and/or not maintained.

I more or less never go anywhere without a Ghillie (Kelly) kettle. They're great for heating water for hot water bottles because the fuel is plentiful and free so you can have as many hot water bottles as you like without worrying about running out of fuel or breaking the bank. They're bulky and a lot heavier than no stove at all, which is all you need if you have a stainless steel mug like the BCB one. My hot water bottles are 2 litre PET containers which had drinks like lemonade or water in them. DO NOT PUT BOILING WATER IN THESE containers, they will be destroyed and it could be dangerous. You can e.g. mix a bit less than half of cold with the rest boiling to get the water to around 60 degrees C which is fine in a PET bottle, I do that all the time.

Collecting fuel for a Ghiilie/Kelly kettle is fun, it can help keep you warm, and of course both collecting it and burning it may be illegal depending on where you are and when.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Right.

Wear Goggles.
Dont eat the yellow snow.
In Fact, dont eat snow of any untoward colour.
Wear Woodys jumper.
Let folk know where you are going.
Dont fight polar bears.
Take two types of stove, if you can.
Wear Gaiters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE