You Know You're A Bushcrafter When...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
When your every day car/house key chain has a sak, firesteel, paracord, magnifying glass and a compass attached to it. :)

goodjob And a whistle, and a peanut lighter - both wrapped with elastic bands because they burn so well ( just in case the birch bark in your pocket doesn't).

When you tell the wife its a nice night for a fire in the garden, and its chucking it down.

When an afternoon spent practicing tarp configuartions in the garden seems perfectly normal, as does photographing the dogs sheltering in said tarps.

When a friend (sitting in the garden drinking beer) talks about how nice it would be to have one of those "Ray Mears fire sticks" and seconds later you have made a small blaze from whats in your pockets.

When work colleagues are no longer surprised you turn up to social functions in craghopper kiwis and your smartest boots.

When you've looked on google earth to find some local woods.

You have more green coats than underpants, and change them more often too.

When you go on a once in a lifetime trip to Nepal and even as the flights are being booked think " I can get a Khukri!"

When you thought that, despite already having a Khukri that your MOTHER IN LAW brought back because she knew you would want one.

When you bring back standing dead wood from a walk.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"When you bring back standing dead wood from a walk."

I try to plan walks so that I KNOW I'll bring back some wood!:lmao:

Dave

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
You realise you have bushcrafty aspirations when:

You say to hell with DSC1 (Deer Stalking Certificate) Best Practice and use your Marbles No 9 Hunters Axe to cleave through a fallow buck's ribcage!

Cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When work colleagues are no longer surprised you turn up to social functions in craghopper kiwis and your smartest boots.
When you bring back standing dead wood from a walk.

I go to work, social occassions and play time in, well, not always Kiwis but also combats, 5:11 pants, Fjallraven trousers, and my boots...and no this is not my outdoor activities work I am on about...this is my civilised town job!

What is the point of a walk if you do not bring home some wood? :)

Man - I have got it BAD!

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
When you find yourself looking longingly at every patch of scrubby, litter strewn ground in town and know you've got Woodland Withdrawel symptoms.

When you spot the litter in said patch of scrubby ground and think, I could make a ... out of that.

When you hear yourself say "Hello" to the moore hens on the canal.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
when a dead deer is more usefull to you than a screwdriver set
when you prefer reading by tilly lamp instead of a 40 watt bulb
when your screen saver is a picture of ray mears or a nice tree instead of one of your kids
when you have a greater knowlage of country life than social politics
when you use a compass to navigate a shopping/town center but can wander through your local woods in the pitch black and still find that shelter you built
when you can stand arround in -15c and still say 'quite whinging it aint that bloody cold'
when hot rocks are more than just hot rocks there a bed warmer or an oven
when you could brew a respectable wine or beer from a pair of 10 yr old socks
lee

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
You know you're into Bushcraft when a "Dutch Oven" is a cooking pot and not f.rting under the duvet and then pulling it over swmbo's head.

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
:rolleyes: When your latest kitchen appliance needs no electricity, is small enough to be carried in a pack and will spend more time outside than indoors.

TGB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE