You Know You're A Bushcrafter When...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We're Bushcrafters?

Do any of us actually get out and "bushcraft"?

Or, do we spend most of our spare time on here? :)

I just spent the night in a quinze with my daugher. It was -35 C or so. We slept on one foam pad and one reindeer hide each, apart from things slipping around -- as usual -- this worked quite well.

Tangientally, my almost 15 year old Carinthia Survival One sleeping bag is no longer really up to that, so I will have to get the money (and ambivalation!) sorted to get a new winter bag (how's the Canada Jay that RM sells?)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
You know you're a Bushcrafter when:

• You understand what 'GB SFA' and 'Woodlore Clone' mean.
  • Army Surplus kit from the 1945 -1995 period although designed primarily for stopping Soviet tank divisions on the North German plain seems strangely suitable for a night in the woods in Essex....
  • You can transform a 5 acre bit of woodland bounded by Tescos, a golf course, an industrial estate and a canal into a Boreal wilderness for the weekend.
  • Wilkinsons Washing line props are essential kit when setting up camp
  • A 'quick' brew up involves a kelly kettle or 'honey' stove.
  • You can spell correctly the names of 5 Scandinavian outdoor gear manufacturers.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
1. when a jumper knitted by your mother in law is a desirable preasent
2. When your friends look like Bluto from popeye dressed by a romainian aid agency (yep John thats you lol)
3. When you can quickly and safely get into your doss bag in the lashing rain and sleep sound and dry till the morning without braking the zip or soiling yourself after consuming your own weight in mead, spicy rum and sloe gin.
4. When you stop thinking about it being bushcraft and just enjoy what your doing and learning with nature and not against it.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
No matter where you are, you have to test the edge of every blade you encounter and know that yours is sharper.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You know you're a bushcrafter when...

Your compas points unerringly at your knife drawer from up to 25 yards.
Your washing machine filter is constantly blocked with little bits of birch bark, fungus and other bits of tinder from your pocket linings.
You're more likely to know where your knife is than your mobile.
Scots friends think your swandri must be your family tartan.
Every jacket has at least one pocket knife, a lighter, firesteel and a box of matches in it.
Your shed looks like a witch doctors store room.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
When you fully realise just how enslaved you are to a way of life it is all but impossible to escape?:canoe:

Properly a bit too deep for a Monday so alternatively:

When your 7-year old daughter wishes to know why she must go for yet another walk in the woods. Accompanied by “you are sad Daddy” and are you taking that great big knife?!!:eek:

Cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
2. When your friends look like Bluto from popeye dressed by a romainian aid agency (yep John thats you lol)
QUOTE]

Yup - I guessed it was me!
But you mention friends.....that bit now hardly fits! :D

You know you are a Bushcrafter when fellow club members and putative friends think that dossing right next to the fire is a great way of disturbing your nice peaceful early morning brew with their swinelike snoring....:p:sleeping: :campfire: :coffee::nana:

Or they chose to let you practice your first aid skills for real just before your re-validation course...:stretcher::crutch:
All hail the SWB, home of sharp axes and blunt digits, warm fires and cold weather, bad jokes and good friends!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

• You understand what 'GB SFA' and 'Woodlore Clone' mean. Check
  • Army Surplus kit from the 1945 -1995 period although designed primarily for stopping Soviet tank divisions on the North German plain seems strangely suitable for a night in the woods in Essex....
  • You can transform a 5 acre bit of woodland bounded by Tescos, a golf course, an industrial estate and a canal into a Boreal wilderness for the weekend.Check

• Wilkinsons Washing line props are essential kit when setting up campCheck

• A 'quick' brew up involves a kelly kettle or 'honey' stove.
  • You can spell correctly the names of 5 Scandinavian outdoor gear manufacturers.Check

4 out of 6 - I'm slacking:lmao:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
QUOTE]

Yup - I guessed it was me!
But you mention friends.....that bit now hardly fits! :D

You know you are a Bushcrafter when fellow club members and putative friends think that dossing right next to the fire is a great way of disturbing your nice peaceful early morning brew with their swinelike snoring....:p:sleeping: :campfire: :coffee::nana:

Or they chose to let you practice your first aid skills for real just before your re-validation course...:stretcher::crutch:
All hail the SWB, home of sharp axes and blunt digits, warm fires and cold weather, bad jokes and good friends!

:lmao:yep Chris is in for some stick next time, i'll secretly choose to ignore the snoring jibe :goodnight:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
you know you're a bushcrafter when you're valentines gift last year were woodcraft and camping by nessmuk and this years is a dd tarp

(you also know you're with the right lady)

Sam

Correction.... you know you're with the right lady if you give her Nessmuk and a tarp as valentine presents and she really appreciates them :D

And nope, mine won't :lmao::lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
your car, coat, hat, rucksack, pocket and sheds have their own ecosystems :eek:

You know you're a bushcrafter when...

Your shed looks like a witch doctors store room.

Oh yes :eek: :D :D............and when you visit like minded friends you find their stashes fascinating.

got another one too.....

You know you're a bushcrafter when instead of bringing you flowers when they come to visit, friends bring bark, fungi, bones and antlers, hand stitched axe sheaths........and you're delighted :cool: :D

cheers,
M

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle

[*]Army Surplus kit from the 1945 -1995 period although designed primarily for stopping Soviet tank divisions on the North German plain seems strangely suitable for a night in the woods in Essex....

[/LIST]

....you make a living by selling those expensive hightech waterproof/breathable jackets with zip-in fleece to customers for strolling through the city´s pedestrian walkway, but you yourself a wearing a simple swedish snow smock (cotton, oversized, dyed black) in everything but pouring rain.:)
(Always hoping that said customers wont see you:eek:)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
You know your a bushcrafter when:

Your boss tells you that Sharpening knives in work is not acceptable usage of your time.

you wander in from a lunchtime bimble with a bag full of weird funghi and plants and spend the rest of your breaktime looking up what they are.

you take a 3 day course in hedgelaying in january and Camp locally when all others were going home to hot baths and beds!

When an innocent walk in the woods turns into a teaching session for your boys on whats what, whats edible and how to trap rabbit and squirrel.

when your son says to his teachers "my daddy's the one in green with a big stick" at picking up time.

Nearly every item of clothing you own is army surplus, if it isn't its at least OD or Camo.

Pete ;)

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
when you believe its perfectly normal to hand your 5yr old daughter a hatchete and teach her how to split wood
when the afore mentioned hatchete is kept in the living room
when on finishing your first home made knife you feel the same joy and pride as when your first child was born
when you buy a dart board just to practice with your african blow pipe
when your shed resembles something out of texas chainsaw massicar
when you contemplate demolishing said shed in order to build a log cabin only to be stopped by the wife with the words "what the hell are you doing empting you shed into the kitchen"
when you know what an ushanka is
when taking a disc cutter to a gas bottle is perfectly acceptable behaviour
when you use a broken fridgefreeze as a planter for the growing of the carrots (and yes i did)
when you can go into the shed with a blunt pair of sheres and come out with a machete
when ,yes, you contemplate road kill and spuds for tea
when building a shelter and eating a packet of jaffa cakes out of the rain makes you feel 10 yrs old againg
when you believe camoflarge IS the new black, and has been for the past 20 years
when you eye the wifes hand bag and think 'hmmm ...possibles pouch and that buckle will prove handy'

lee

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE