(Yet) Another DIY Canvas and Leather Rucksack (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Having made this and this I had a little canvas left over from the 2m that I'd bought. Hating to see it lying around doing nothing, I thought I might have enough to make a small flat rucksack in "canoe" pack style. As it turned out there wasn't quite enough canvas left so I used a bit of upholstery leather that I'd bought for a song at a re-enactor's market to make the lid:

flatsack1.jpg

I reinforced the bottom with a left-over piece:

flatsack2.jpg

I added an internal, zipped pocket as I find that in a one compartment rucksack, the thing you want always migrates to the bottom and this allows me to keep keys etc. handy. Incidentally, it is the perfect size for my Amazon Kindle - though this wasn't planned!

flatsack3.jpg

It's very comfy to wear and I use it for mooching around town when I don't need to carry much.

flatsack4.jpg

flatsack5.jpg

It's 400mm high by 320mm wide but it is difficult to calculate its capacity as it is, essentially, flat. (Giving a capacity of zero litres!) Packed, I reckon it comes in at around 12 litres or so.

As I only have a domestic (SWMBO's!) machine it struggled to cope with some bits - I've got into this now and so I'm going to have to look at getting an industrial machine with a bit more clout. Just bought a couple more metres of the olive and 3 metres of 12oz. loomstate canvas from the same re-enactor's market as I got the leather for the lid, so I'm on the prowl for interesting designs ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE