Wool: A work in progress

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've been pestering Elen Sentier of this parish to teach me how to spin wool, and she finally cracked under the pressure a while back. In retaliation, she asked if I had any sheep fleeces ready so she could show me the process from the beginning. Naturally, I didn't.

However, I do know some people at Gwent Wildlife Trust who keep sheep for grazing nature reserves in the winter, and so I made some enquiries. The result: three fleeces delivered to Elen today by myself.

Elen is therefore going to take me through the process pretty much from sheep to useable wool (and possibly beyond) and I thought it might be useful to have a photographic record of the process for those who might also have an interest.

So, first you start with one of these: A Hebridean sheep (other varieties are available)
8522272608_404e02b7c0_b.jpg

Then you have to catch it, and shear it (usually it is best to get someone else to do this bit for you, as I did)

This is what you get (£4 was what I was charged for this) when the fleece is unrolled
9243390932_db8a520de5_b.jpg

And here are two more. Another hebridean, and a Welsh Mountain sheep fleece (which turned out to be enormous!)
9243395294_fa802603da_b.jpg
9243403826_bb3c97aa55_b.jpg

Next step is, in Elen's words, to pull off all the bits that have sheep sh*t on them.
9240618367_8a59356a98_b.jpg

By which time you have smelly hands and greasy lanolin all over you. It might be an idea to use gloves for those that are fastidious. We didn't. It is also useful to do what I did and take pictures whilst someone else actually does this bit. :rolleyes:

Having cleaned it up, and pulled out any obvious bits of plant material and other grot that might be in the fleece, you roll it back up and take it indoors. A bath full of warm water with some wool shampoo, and in goes the fleece, making sure it is fully immersed, but no rubbing or wringing of it should be done, or you will end up with felt. Just push it under and get it wet.
9240572529_9bbbd01e90_b.jpg

Leave for a few hours, or overnight. Best if you have a spare bathroom for this.
9243352526_c9681729cf_b.jpg

More will follow in due course. Please direct questions to Elen, because she knows what she is doing, and I don't. :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike looks interesting i will follow this thread with interest regards dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! This will be really useful to us so thanks for posting. Our plans to get some fleeces at the rare breeds park came to nought last week as I ended up in the John Radcliffe for 4 days instead being cut open and pumped full of antibiotics. So much for the plans of mice and wool hungry woman...
ATB
Tom

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Getting these fleeces was a right palaver. Shearing being weather dependent, we didn't have the right weather until two weeks ago, by which time it was a bit late, and some of the sheep were losing condition. It had been hoped to get a fleece from a Hill Radnor sheep as well, but they suffered the most and the fleeces were pretty ropey. Staff at the Wildlife Trust were very patient in putting up with my constant nagging emails for updates. Then when they finally did get the sheep sheared, I'd injured my foot so couldn't go to collect the fleeces.

What was nice was that I roped Elen into this whilst not knowing anything about it, so for all I knew I might have been delivering three very poor fleeces, but Elen said they were very clean, and she seemed pleased with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE