Wool: A work in progress

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The washing process continues ...

The grey Heb fleece went in for its first wash on Monday evening. I left it there to float off as much dirt as possible - although I said the fleeces were clean, and they were in that they weren't full of grot and hebage and Sh1T (chemical formula!), they were still full of dust and the general living grubbiness of being a sheep out in nice pasture.

I took the fleece out this morning to give it its first rinse ... here's the water colour from the wash ...
IMAG2222.jpg

I then gave it a good rinse in clean water ... which became this colour ...
IMAG2223.jpg

and another rinse which left me with this colour water ...
IMAG2224.jpg

I then let the fleece drain (I use an old slatted apple shelf for this)
IMAG2225.jpg

I then filled the bath up again with warm water and hair-conditioner and dumped the fleece back in for a final rinse and to absorb the conditioner. This makes it easier to card once it's dry. I'll prob fish it out tomorrow morning (got a busy evening tonight) and spread it on the lawn, on a sheet of garden insect mesh, to dry in the sun.

While this one is drying the next one will go in for its first wash ...

It's a long, time-consuming and hard-on-the-back process ... and we're nowhere near even spinning yet, let alone plying and then knitting or weaving :D. They're nice fleeces though so I'm looking fwd to seeing how they do and deciding what we'll make from them.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
The best thing about doing it your way is the whole lots there, ready and uniform to work with... mine is very bit-and-bobby, though for practicing sockmaking, I don't need to be too pedantic :) Its looking brilliant, I noticed the fleeces were really nicely together and a couple were beautifully open (as opposed to felted, we might use different terminology) in the shots, even across the shoulders, backside and other favourite lamb climbing zones ;)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Well,you seem to be getting on nicely without me, so I'll just leave you to it then... :)
Have you got a spare you could workalong, lovey? Working the fleece yourself gives you a real good 'handle' and understanding of it, you get to see and identify areas of undercut where the shearer has overlapped or pulled out, recognise burrs and felted areas to do other stuff with etc :) I wish I had time to join in but landrovers can't valet themselves ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Have you got a spare you could workalong, lovey? Working the fleece yourself gives you a real good 'handle' and understanding of it, you get to see and identify areas of undercut where the shearer has overlapped or pulled out,......
But if you really want the full experience, shouldn't you also do the shearing yourself? :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I left all three with Elen because I have neither the knowledge of what to do or the facilities to do them, although nominally once of the fleeces is mine. I'm also back in work from tomorrow, including working the weekend.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
But if you really want the full experience, shouldn't you also do the shearing yourself? :)
I think you need to work through a fleece first to understand how to shear it best, then get animal-grappling ;)

But it doesn't buy you more time in a day, does it.... next year maybe, HM :) (I spent the first half of the thread reading 'Higher Management' with that, Elen, am daft ;))

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think you need to work through a fleece first to understand how to shear it best, then get animal-grappling ;)......

TBH I've never done either. But I have had Mormon friends who had been shearers as teenagers. I don't believe they ever actually worked the fleeces; just complained that shearing was hot, sweaty, backbreaking work. LOL.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Elen and HM, your thread was just the kick up the backside I needed :) My Portland is drying (despite the thunderstorm ;) ) and looking promising! I've picked the Manx but not washed it yet, thats only a half fleece anyway... I was hoping to spindle it but the staple is tiny, 2-3cm compared to the Portland which is a good crimpy 7+cm.
17516_10200870083848826_364789885_n.jpg

Heres the longest bit of the manx I could find :) Its a very different wool, maybe more suited to carding in with the Portland. I might try a bit when it won't mess up my current uberwhite carding ;)
970095_10200865214447094_754172208_n.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Pooh I like the look of the grey heb and welsh mountain, the heb looks particularly long and crimpy... Are they homegrown?

Local Wildlife Trust. They use them to graze their land over the winter as part of the management of grasslands. I think the way it works is that a deal is done with sympathetic local farmers to loan them some animals for the grazing, under supervision of the Trust agricultural manager. Hebrideans are a breed often used in this way because they thrive on the sort of rough and nutrient-poor grazing that you tend to get on grasslands that are managed for wildlife rather than livestock.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I can't say I've tried one, but there's no particular reason why they wouldn't be. Welsh Mountain lamb & mutton is pretty decent, I know that.

The thing about breeds like Hebrideans and Shetlands and Keswicks etc is that they tend to be slower growing, so they tend to have a bit more flavour than your 'mass produced' lowland breeds which need rich grazing at all times.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
And if you want to suss out your local spinners guild, you'll find a wealth of knowledge and often, very fine cakes.... :p

Theres a show called Fibre East coming up that I'm taking mum down to on a spindle buying jolly :) 27th & 8th, Ampthill, Bedford.... I thought that was South but hey, women and directions eh ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE