Winter Natural shelters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Sam, just one idea, at the last meet we decided on a winter shelter, so basic dead branch and twig, graduating and all we had was leaf matter, took some effort, but cozy warm and waterproof, walls ended up being 2 feet thick plus! And same was used for the floor, a little claustrophobic but feet in first not a problem, 2 of the guys slept in it alternate nights (temp just below freezing and were fine)

Hazel twist thatching type pegs, just in case the wind got up but didnot move an inch.

Ivan...

Colehayes Dec Meet 2013 060.jpg Colehayes Dec Meet 2013 058.jpg

Colehayes Dec Meet 2013 059.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thats only an option if it snows a decent amount but thank you John.
It'll be mostly deciduous ancient woodland in England (should o mentioned that in first post)

Trust an effete Southerner to think the SE is the whole of the UK...:rolleyes:
I think Ivan,s idea is the best option for you - debris shelters of all sorts of designs can be very cozy :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok! Then, this another option i did back in the summer, not season dependant, if you go somewhere there is moisture, you may have the option of sphagnum moss, which is moist, so with this configuration you can have a fire relatively close, i loved this one, was there all day for a picnic, but did not get chance to camp, on the 2014 agenda!

Depth not so important, as it is dense tuff and has very good insulation.

Ivan...

Fairey Glen 19.6.2013 006.jpg Fairey Glen 19.6.2013 007.jpg Fairey Glen 19.6.2013 008.jpg

Fairey Glen 19.6.2013 009.jpg Fairey Glen 19.6.2013 010.jpg

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've spent a couple of nights in a group debris shelter on a course (like this one) we had a fire small fire going inside. Might be an option if you have the materials?

The only other time I've slept in a debris shelter we built a double lean-to type affair. Definitely toasty with the fire going. You could block up the windward side to make it nice and snug. Only used for one night so we cheated and used bashas to finish it off but you get the idea.

BCUKshelter2.jpg
BCUKshelterinside2.jpg

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
big wooden poles and maybe make a teepee? shoot several hundred rabbits for a nice fur wall, i guess it all depends on how much time you want to put in to it, lean to is probably favourite though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thats only an option if it snows a decent amount but thank you John.
It'll be mostly deciduous ancient woodland in England (should o mentioned that in first post)

Morning Mate, not strictly true that statement. If you roll a ball of snow about for a while till it's pretty big, then roll it up against a wall, rock face or the likes then hollow it out; taking the snow from the inside and adding it to the outside (if you catch my drift - (see what I did there?)). This builds a shelter big enough to shelter in and will protect you from the elements.

It does work, have built them and slept overnight in them when caught out. Though a properly formed snow cave is much nicer and it does depend as ever on the snow type, fresh sugar snow is pretty pants to be honest. But if that happens I just cut open a Tauntaun with my lightsabre!:rolleyes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I thought they smelt bad on the outside. ....

I hadnt thought o the snowball idea thanks muchly.

Wonders of this forum you get all sorts of ideas

Have spent many a happy night in snow caves, the reflected light from a candle making it comfortable and appealing. Quite magical.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If I'm up to it next year I'll have a go at making

[video=youtube;NGSC8iYhC7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSC8iYhC7k[/video]

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lot of work but a pentagon shaped lean-to is fantastic in the winter but its not something you can nock up in one weekend.
Being completely enclosed with a fire in the center makes it shorts weather at any time of the year.
Cant seem to find any decent pictures.

IMAG0729_zpsd622db81.jpg

2010-01-30083300_zps95ecfb15.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thats definitely one on my to try list Richard.

Have you seen the one Mors made which is on a sledge or travois? So it can be dragged along from campsite to campsite?

Not seen that yet. He built a polythene lined shelter at the 06 moot, he's a fan of the stuff, lightweight and waterproof and can be reused. If things had gone to plan Nigel and I were going to build a big bender shelter this year using polythene then covered with a parachute(s); next year maybe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE