Will you buy a Poppy Sir?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Willyoubuyapoppy-poem.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll be going to the commemoration of Armistice tomorrow in little French village I lived in up until 2 months ago. It's usually a poignant little ceremony as we remember those who fell.

It was a pleasant surprise to find the French also mark this day in their calendar, though poppy's aren't the done thing over here. I've worn mine for each event and got questioned about it every single time by someone. Everyone thought it was a great idea that the UK make it a formalised event and money raiser too.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Fine sentiments

Sorry to sidetrack, but I hope people think it's appropriate to add:

As well as buying & wearing a poppy, I would urge people to think about volunteering to sell them. I did a stint yesterday, and Mrs DHD is just off to do one herself now. I know in my area a lot of the regular sellers are getting a bit too old to do it now, so pitches are going unmanned. You just need to get in touch with your local British Legion branch.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'll be going to the commemoration of Armistice tomorrow in little French village I lived in up until 2 months ago. It's usually a poignant little ceremony as we remember those who fell.

It was a pleasant surprise to find the French also mark this day in their calendar, though poppy's aren't the done thing over here. I've worn mine for each event and got questioned about it every single time by someone. Everyone thought it was a great idea that the UK make it a formalised event and money raiser too.

I think all the nations that actually participated in or were affected by the war commenmorate this date. It's interesting to note the different names for it too. We originally called it Amistice Day but later it was changed to Veterans day to commemorate the veterans of all wars. When I first got to England I was confused to hear it called Poppy Day.

It did remind me though that when I was a kid, we used to wear poppies over here too. I really don't know why (or exactly when) that part of the tradition faded away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE