Will you buy a Poppy Sir?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Very nice , I wish I'd seen It yesterday as my youngest daughter spent all day in town in her cadet uniform selling poppies . Would have been a good one to say to people .
Between her and her friend they sold 4 boxes poppies (mostly to boys I think !)

She is off up to Edinburgh castle with her detachment to take part in remembrance.

Craig......

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
My grandfather has long since past,but I remember the the stories he would tell my brother and i.it's in later years I remember the pain and hardship he suffered with his men and those he left behind.he earned medals like thousands of others.those who died wear theirs in eternal peace knowing we are free.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Grand dad, Padua, Italy.

Richard001Small.jpg

Nov13292Small.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Having carefully & respectfully read through the posts I haven't seen any mention of the wounded, maimed &/or disfigured service personel, far more numerous than those that died & for whom, the battle continued/continues............So I thought I would.....

I shall also be sparing a thought for the medical teams, both past & present, who have tried & continue to try to piece back the broken bodies & minds of those injured survivors from the battlefields.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
A sad though occured to me this morning as i got ready for a Remembrance Day parade with my local scout group; There are no longer any surviving personnel from WWI, Florence Green, from King's Lynn, Norfolk, who served as a mess steward at RAF bases in Marham and Narborough, died in February aged 110, giving today's youth culture i can't help but worry that in a few years, a decade at most i think, they will all but forget about those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in WWI (and WWII however they are still personnel alive who served in that war).

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
no, thats the thing with life, it moves on, the families and friends will keep the memory and tell it to other they meet if they want too, that's how it should be.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..........and yet the British Legion says that numbers are growing at the ceremonies.
The local ones were larger than I've seen since my childhood. ( so long ago, that little boys saluted when they passed the cenotaph and little girls curtsied ) Even the pipe bands were out.

There are three threads on the forum, so it hasn't been forgotten; folks read, they don't always post. Doesn't mean they don't echo the sentiments.

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Responses to the thread? Not sure you can use a thread on a forum to judge how seriously people take this kind of thing. In fact you can't.

In past years they seemed to attract more responses? I remember and thats all that counts for me.

We had a good turnout in town this morning, but then we always do, so many local lads and lasses in the army.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
There was a good turnout in Northampton today and my lad went for the first time. Pipeband and plenty in uniform and no hassle from anyone that doesn't agree with Remembrance day. Good stuff. Regardless of how many choose to forget in future I won't be one of them...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
no, thats the thing with life, it moves on, the families and friends will keep the memory and tell it to other they meet if they want too, that's how it should be.

A perfectly sensible post that reflects the real situation not the whipped up public displays of emotion. Why the emphasis on WWI? They died in the Boer Wars etc and when I was young these were less long ago than WWI is today. There is a problem that for the soldier no amount of plaudits and sympathy are enough.

Suffering effects of recent wars is sad and needs help but please let us have a sense of proportion. My Father fought through four years in the Desert and Italy with no home leave as did his comrades and when they got home, ultimately in 1946! With garrison duty in Germany, they just got on with their lives in a time of desperate housing shortages and austerity.

Do not misunderstand me, I would not cut compensation nor any help and it should be increased but the growing worship of the Military , makes me deeply uneasy. It has been said that the British are a martial nation not a military one and this is how it should remain.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I partook in my local services back home today. I was invited back to my old drill hall (now taken over by int corps) I have been offered membership into my comrades association and now to my local legion as a member ( I am already of the main London branch as many serving soldiers are). I was stood up drinks by new friends and bought old comrades a few as well. We all share a common bond that no-one can ever take away. It was good to talk to them, including members who served from all three services and who partook in the Second World War, Aden, Falklands, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghan and others.

Whilst standing on parade I always remember old friends that are no longer with me, and although the list goes on I can still picture their faces and remember good times with them.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
I think all the nations that actually participated in or were affected by the war commenmorate this date. It's interesting to note the different names for it too. We originally called it Amistice Day but later it was changed to Veterans day to commemorate the veterans of all wars. When I first got to England I was confused to hear it called Poppy Day.

It did remind me though that when I was a kid, we used to wear poppies over here too. I really don't know why (or exactly when) that part of the tradition faded away.
hi santaman2000, i have my poppie on right now and at work...i still see the VFW hand them out in public areas also at gunshows here in Arizona...i also want to thank you for your service and also our British Brothers and Sisters who served in thier Military Forces to defend Freedom...again thank you all...vince g. 11Bravo Infantry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE