Why kelly kettles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
The Correct way to use the kettle is here: How to use the Kelly Kettle

Thanks for the information, Patrick. Apart from the grill, the only accessory i carry is some tinfoil which i use to wrap food in and cook inside the body of the kettle over the embers (always ensuring there is enough water in it). That is why the method of lifting it on and off is important as it will come off several times to check what is going on inside. Personally, i find that food cooks much more quickly and evenly if the kettle is replaced over it. My favourite meal is salmon wrapped in foil with a few squirts of olive oil in with it. The water in the kettle is then used to rehydrate mashed potato with a few blobs of butter added to it. A grilled pepper is good on the side. Even eggs for breakfast present no problem. Take a square of foil and with a little experience of origami you can fold it over a few times then fold in the edges and you have a lightweight cooking vessel. Eggs. Coddled. For the use of.
I have a brand new copper-bottomed steel panset that i have never used as i get far too much fun out of cooking real food with a kettle. I shudder to think of going back to stew and potnoodle!

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I like my KKs!

I use my small KK to supply water for my thermos-cooking, when out and about. Dried veggies, dried minced meat and sausages, pasta, rice, noodles, lentils, dried milk powder, spices, and powdered tomatoes. And porridge and coffee in the morning. I use a 1/2 liter food thermos to cook in, using hot water.

For longer trips a larger KK is a great way to quickly get a bucket full of warm water for a nice warm shower and hair-wash, without frost-bite. Also helpful with warm water when you want to wash some clothes.

If you are suspicious about organisms on the water, it is a good way to quickly sterilize a few liters to drink your fill and fill your canteens.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I like mine!! I've the big un for camping & the little un for fishing or backpacking. The little un works well with a Tatonka or Trangia meths burner too - 6 mins boil time.

Ive never seen the point of KK style except a large one for base camp water heating

But My Dad got hold of this from some where :rolleyes: i still havent tryed it but it holds 2ltrs to the neck of the filler (probably not good to fill to here)

its made from Copper (1.5-2mm thick) and soldered dont have a base etc for it but it will fit on a 2.5ltr paint can or he tryed it on top of the neigbours Chiminea Chimney :D

Dsc_3761.jpg

Dsc_3762.jpg

Dsc_3763.jpg

Dsc_3764.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive never seen the point of KK style except a large one for base camp water heating

But My Dad got hold of this from some where :rolleyes: i still havent tryed it but it holds 2ltrs to the neck of the filler (probably not good to fill to here)

its made from Copper (1.5-2mm thick) and soldered dont have a base etc for it but it will fit on a 2.5ltr paint can or he tryed it on top of the neigbours Chiminea Chimney :D

Dsc_3761.jpg

Dsc_3762.jpg

Dsc_3763.jpg

Dsc_3764.jpg

Nice find Duncan

Is that military then ?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I like mine!! I've the big un for camping & the little un for fishing or backpacking. The little un works well with a Tatonka or Trangia meths burner too - 6 mins boil time.

That's interesting. I was musing about measuring the efficiency of my Ghillie the other day, seems like you've almost done it for me.

What's the capacity of your small kettle?

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
That's interesting. I was musing about measuring the efficiency of my Ghillie the other day, seems like you've almost done it for me.

What's the capacity of your small kettle?

About 1 pint, mate. Very handy for solo trips. I just shove the burner in the fuel bit & it works a treat, the Tatonka works best I find. Tried it with the big one & it takes forever & a refill - not ideal when freezing your nuts off in sub zero temps on the banks of a Scottish loch!!!!

Bushy&Crafty

Sep 20, 2010
Derby
welcome to the forums Kelly Kettle :)

i don't suppose you've thought about making a large party size kettle? if I've a group of 10 people they don't want to wait for a rebrew half way through, so having a properly big kettle would be an advantage ;)

kelly kettle do a 3 pinter that would make tea for 10 (OK quite small cups!). I got one because I wanted a stainless steel kettle rather than an aluminium one. I had to wait ages to get one as they have been out of stock everywhere. I found one a couple of weeks ago
http://www.getyourselffitter.com/kelly-kettles-c-28.html

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
I have a Kelly Kettle and a Bushbuddy stove. I have toyed with the idea of suspending the KK over the Bushbuddy and seeing how that works with the Bushbuddy burning the woodgas and its huge flames being drawn up inside the KK cone.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have have treated several people with serious scalds at Bushcraft events from misuse of a Kelly kettle.

I use 5 KKs regularly for groups and find them great kit but like everything you need to treat them with respect.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Personally I prefer the Swiss volcano stove to a small kelly kettle (Sorry KK - although by all means send me one to correct my opinion:) ) It's lighter by far, holds a litre of water in the bottle supplied, you can boil water either in the bottle or supplied cup, and boiling times are pretty much on a par with the KK. Can use it with twigs, small meths burner, Hexi blocks, pinecones etc. And it all packs down into a handy size that'll fit into most rucksack side pockets. And at less than a tenner, extraordinary value for money.

For a base camp or car-camping, I can see the benefits of the larger KKs, and they are fun to play with (and - everything else aside, having fun is what it's all about, surely!)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think the Kelly Kettle is pretty cool but my twig stove works so well, I never felt the urge to get a Kelly Kettle. And it's a two-burner. :)

twigstove5c.jpg

twigstove6c.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree with Wayne and Ged; good kit, just be careful.

It's a very, very good way of very quickly getting hot water for a small group. It's easy to find fuel that will work on it, the chimney effectively 'pulls' the draught and the flames to best effect.

I do at times use the base for cooking but am still not sure about the top cooking bit; I know folks claim it's stable, but it just seems too counter-intuitive to me. It boils so quickly that I can't see me having enough time to cook on it that way.

For a settled camp it's a great way to get warm washing water too. No fuss, it just works :)

cheers,
Toddy

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
There great at what the do, as fast as a normal indoor kettle, you can store all your food for a few days inside it and it will hold water, really it's not bulky at all considering that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE