Why kelly kettles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
There great at what the do, as fast as a normal indoor kettle, you can store all your food for a few days inside it and it will hold water, really it's not bulky at all considering that.

And Scouts of all ages form Cubs to Leaders love playing with them. I get my Kelly Kettle out and Akela is guaranteed tea on demand :)

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
My grandson told me about when he was hiking in Canada and ran out of water but like a true Scotsman he still had a bottle of whiskey.

In his infinite wisdom( and thirst probably) He thought that if i could get the alchohol out of it it would quench his thirst,

So he poured whiskey in the kettle and fired it up, as the whiskey heated up the alchohol fumes started coming out, caught the flame and sent a 6 foot jet of flame right past him.

He let it cool drank it and promptly vomited everywhere.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Isn't the clue in the title? Kelly Kettle

Otherwise it would be Kelly Stove or if it had sharp edges and a long handle it might be Kelly Hatchet.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I had a play with a KK yesterday, not much out of one, but a good bit of kit, deffinatly on my wants list now. Whats this about being able to get add ons for cooking? I was under the impression it was a one trick pony.

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
Good thread this folks. The KK tracker in my view is a fantastic piece of kit. I would put it in my top 3 of my most used items. The fact that you can use whats about you i love. I do take a couple of dride out cramp balls and use them as an extra piece of fule. I find if the thicker bits of twig are a little damp when added, the cramp balls with the charcol effect are very useful in drying them out . Cheers .

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
I bought mine at the moot for £20.00, not really knowing how much I would use it. I love it, being a tight git we have got it in the land rover semi permanent and it has already paid for itself, we have checked the prices for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake in Pembrokeshire and we are in profit. The other great thing is what a conversation piece when you return from a walk light the stove in a car park and brew up. You can see some are almost disgusted that you must surely be breaking some rule or ancient bylaw. Love it.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Criticisms of the KK come from people who have tried to use them as a stove and been disappointed.

They are a portable wood fired water heater, not a stove. And they do that job better than anything else I have ever seen. My Kelly Kettle will boil 1.5 litres of water in 4.5 minutes from lighting. Normally people will let a fire get going before they pop the pot on and begin timing.

The next closest I have ever seen is my own stove, which if you allow it to get going before you pop the kettle on will boil 1 litre of water in 6 minutes. And it was melting the handle of the kettle even managing that.

The kelly kettle is in a league of its own.

I've been wondering if a neglected application of the Kelly is as a water purification system for expeditions. It gets the water really hot so I'm confident no bugs could survive in there....

...oh yeah and I'm pretty sure it would make an awesome still! :lmao:

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Normally people will let a fire get going before they pop the pot on and begin timing.

I find that that 'popping the pot on' actually helps the fire get going due to the chimney.

I have just used mine for 10 days solid just as a water boiler while camping, absolutely fantastic. Once you get the thing off to a start, just leave it alone and it will reach a rolling boil within a few minutes - as Wook says, this is a good way to purify water. You don't have to panic once boiled just let the thing trundle along and take the water when you need it.

Designed for fisherman, I think the KK makes a great base camp water boiler but I wouldn't want to hike anywhere with it.

I Love mine I have the Large and the Large Cook Set

The one bit of advice I will pass on to anyone wanting to buy a Large is this:

Buy the Steel one not the Aluminium one, or at least the Steel Base.

I have the Aluminium one and wish I had the steel one (Not only because it will last much longer) but the thin Aluminium base on mine has warped slightly due to the amount we have used it.

If you are Vehicle based and want one you can't beat the SS KK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE