Why kelly kettles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Now that's like a small version of the water heater at my grand-dad's house in Broken Hill. It was called a chip heater, and was permanently plumbed in to the cold water, with a simple shower head on the end of a tube. My dad remembers as a boy dropping little bits of kindling, straw, twigs etc down it to get it lit, and then after a few minutes having plenty of hot water for a shower, the water pressure of the cold water coming in pushing the hot water out. Apparently you could have a couple of minutes shower before the water went too cold.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
With a ghillie kettle, i can actually save space and weight inside my pack.

One thing to note with Ghillie kettles is that unlike Kelly and other makes, most of them have a whistle. Because like any kettle of this design they can boil water ASTONISHINGLY quickly, steam needs to escape equally quickly. The whistle on a Ghillie constricts the opening and as a result the pressure in the kettle increases. This can be dangerous. Very early in my experience with my Ghillie I was quite badly burned by a jet of boiling water which shot out a great distance from it. Only my preparedness and prompt first aid saved me from serious permanent damage.

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/hand.jpg

Partly because of that experience, and partly because the whistle fell to pieces not long after I bought the kettle, I no longer use the whistle -- which is a pity, because it's the only reason I bought that make rather than some other, cheaper one. Now that I'm clearer about some of the issues I plan to make one more suited to me. It will have TWO filler holes, not one!

Another issue to be aware of is the size of sticks which you use. I've sometimes read that people use long sticks which they feed down the chimney. That might be OK with very thin sticks, but if they are so thick that they don't burn through and fall to the bottom of the chimney before the water boils, it means that you might not be able safely to remove the kettle from the fire when it starts boiling because the sticks hold it in place. If you lift the kettle high enough to clear the sticks they will fall all over the place and may start a fire you didn't mean to start, quite apart from the possible issue of lifting a couple of litres of vigorously boiling water higher than you might really have wanted to.

Please take care, and especially if you're with the kids make sure they understand.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
That's looks damn sore Ged :eek:
Even with Kelly Kettles though you are at risk of water shooting/bubbling out which, like you, i found out to my dismay (not as bad as yours though).
Like anything like this though, you have to be careful be it a billy full of boiling water or a ghillie/kelly kettle. Even a camp kettle you have to be wary of the heat and steam.
I've had a couple of kelly kettles and after a while stopped using them, the ghillie appealed to me because of the whistle despite the hazards of pressure but at least you'd know when the water was ready without sticking your noggin in to look at bubbling water.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
When I used the large one, after a while I noticed water boiling at the seam where it sits on the fire bowl. I watched with interest expecting it to get worse and in fact it seemed to seal up as I watched. Is this normal and can I expect to see this happen each time?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I must admit I like the idea of these pieces of kit but would never find a use for them. Way back when I volunteered for BTCV conservation work They had one but I'm not sure which model. IIRC it had the base pan integral to the main unit. Basically it was a one piece kit. It worked well no matter what the weather. We had a reasonable number of people working say about 10 maybe more. It only took one person to drop off what we were working on for about 10 minutes before the break to light it and by the time everyone clocked off to take their break / lunch it was practically boiling. That is where it scores. Its a good piece of kit to keep in the back of a landy or minibus for a group to have their teas made for them. If you have to be mobile IMHO they are too bulky even if they aren't too heavy.

BTW I'm not sure what make the one I tried but the guy who owned it said a mate made it and it was made in Cumbria. I'd be interested in finding out who made it if anyone has an idea.

I do think it is a little bit of a marmite product. Either you'll like it (in which case you'll argue that is is the muts nuts) or you'll like the idea but find it too impractical. I am in the latter camp at the moment. But then I am one of the cutthelabelsoutofclothes types, but only because they annoyed me not for weight, honest. Personally I'd prefer a gas or a meths burner. I've never got on with a wood burner and the KK as well.

Has anyone ever tried making their own Kelly Kettle clone?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When I used the large one, after a while I noticed water boiling at the seam where it sits on the fire bowl. I watched with interest expecting it to get worse and in fact it seemed to seal up as I watched. Is this normal and can I expect to see this happen each time?

It probably isn't a leak. It's probably just condensation on the cold metal from the burning gases. A lot of water vapour is made when you burn hydrocarbons, wood etc. and the vapour will condense on anything cold. This can be quite a problem in flues for wood-burning stoves, for example. It isn't really a problem with a kettle.

As the kettle gets hotter, as you saw, less will condense. When it's boiling, none will. Yes, this will happen every time.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
mine's definitely a leak. I leave the kettle outside these days coz if I leave it in teh workshop I have a puddle on the floor! :( I've never understood the "seams will seal themselves with soot" thing since all of the seams are on the outside of the kettle where no soot/tar gets!

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
In the paperwork on the one I got from Lurch it mentioned that it might leak at first but will cure itself.
Must admit I am yet to try it out.
Off topic, My kitchen stainless kettle made by Morphy Richards gave up the ghost, so I stripped it of all plastic, drilled some holes in the side and a place to feed it with wood for fuel, and ended up with the DELUX model hobo stove.
It's very stable on the ground, I just need to put some more holes in lower down to let more air in.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
One thing to note with Ghillie kettles is that unlike Kelly and other makes, most of them have a whistle. Because like any kettle of this design they can boil water ASTONISHINGLY quickly, steam needs to escape equally quickly. The whistle on a Ghillie constricts the opening and as a result the pressure in the kettle increases. This can be dangerous. Very early in my experience with my Ghillie I was quite badly burned by a jet of boiling water which shot out a great distance from it. Only my preparedness and prompt first aid saved me from serious permanent damage.

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/hand.jpg

Partly because of that experience, and partly because the whistle fell to pieces not long after I bought the kettle, I no longer use the whistle -- which is a pity, because it's the only reason I bought that make rather than some other, cheaper one. Now that I'm clearer about some of the issues I plan to make one more suited to me. It will have TWO filler holes, not one!

I didn't realise there was such a diversity in what is a basic and simple design, Ged,. Patrick Kelly was at pains to point out what qualifies as a 'Kelly' kettle and until now i thought 'ghillie kettle' was a loose description of such a cooker.

That scald does indeed look sore but i can't say that i have experienced any problems with the cooker that i have. In fact, looking at photos, the one thing about the Kelly that i am not sure of is the method of pouring the boiling water out of it. I have a potgrabber with my eco-trekker and it is very safe to use. I'm not sure how user-friendly that handle would be on a red-hot kettle while pulling on the chain to upend it.

Mar 1, 2010
Ireland
Hi Folks,

Just a quick line for readers on the correct use of the Kelly kettle.
Firstly, the kettle should not have ANY obstruction in the water spout when the kettle is lit. The Correct way to use the kettle is here: How to use the Kelly Kettle

Some people make a mistake when lifting the kettle off and back on the fire base. The correct way to lift the Kettle is detailed on our FAQ page which is always a good source of information on our kettles. The correct way to lift is below for your convenience.
http://www.kellykettle.com/when-the...e-lifted-clear-of-the-fire-base-a-flames.html
The reason we say to lift 'back on' the fire base is that it is quite common for one of our kettles to be used to boil water for a large party of people - by simply refilling it with cold water and setting it back on the fire base again.

I won't go into a sales pitch on the benefits of our kettles here - all that information is available on the homepage of our website!
Hope you find this useful.

'Kelly Kettle' & 'Volcano Kettle' are Registered Trademarks of the Kelly Kettle Co., Ireland

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
welcome to the forums Kelly Kettle :)

i don't suppose you've thought about making a large party size kettle? if I've a group of 10 people they don't want to wait for a rebrew half way through, so having a properly big kettle would be an advantage ;)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I spent a week up on Islay last year and one of the group brought along a kelly kettle in his rucksack.
It proved to be the most useful bit of kit that any brought along.We had very limited wood supply and this was able to boil up enough drinking water for everyone every day on just a few heather twigs and such.
Yes it was a lot of space in his bag but it was well worth having it for the group

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE