Why is Ray mears woodlore gear so expensive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beretta63

May 24, 2014
Chesterfield/chorley
Its not just his company that's selling gear at silly prices, it seem the norm for ''named gear to have a ''bit of a mark up'' I have a great respect for ray but I could not help noticing the reviews in the woodlaw shop, Folk seem to quite happily spend £50 on a folding saw sheath, belt or £95 on a pouch just because it is endorsed by Ray?

Am I missing a point here, or are people just so gullible?

Sorry if this offends anyone Its only a forum :eek:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
"value based pricing" or "Brand premium".

Basically, yeah, people are willing to splash extra cash if they perceive value in the brand.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's a business at the end of the day, you can hardly blame them for charging what people will pay.

Not all items are overpriced though, sometimes it's cheaper to shop with them as you get free p&p on goods under £10, or you did.

beretta63

May 24, 2014
Chesterfield/chorley
I Own two knives, an F1 and a very nice Enzo Trapper , the pair of them cost me just over £200 and they are cracking knives! I previously ordered a ''handmade'' knife from a ''Bushcraft store'' and was disgusted in the quality, blade was ok but the handle was rubbish, scales did not match and there was filler in one of them that did not even match the colour of the birch and yet this knife cost £170! The RM one costs twice that, but folk still have no qualms about parting with such a large amount of money on a knife just because He endorses it!

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
As said, it's branding.

What that means depends largely upon your philosophy. On the positive side, I know that ordering today at a reasonable time, the gear will be with me in the morning. I know that it will be of good quality and fit for the job described. I know if it isn't or it fails - then regardless of this or that EU Consumer Directive ( new one effective Friday 13th June ) then Woodlore will take it back, sort it or refund.

I have a Woodlore belt - had it years. I like it a lot. It cost a substantial amount of money - but in my view wasn't expensive ie in terms of what I got.

Several on here make belts - some will be as good as that belt, a few maybe better, a couple will very likely be worse. Of those makers substantially cheaper than the Woodlore product, I ponder how many actually make a living wage from it? I know one very well and rate his work highly, but truth be told he undercharges close to 50% what should sensibly be charged. They carry on supported by a day job. That's their choice and I do not criticise it.

This can't be applied universally - there's some very highly priced tat out there. The adage ' you get what you pay for' needs so many caveats as to be meaningless these days. That's unfortunate.

Ultimately its about choice. You get to choose what you want to do.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Think you misunderstood him there mate. I took that to mean the price of something may seem high, but the quality makes it a long lasting item... for example... a £100 belt seems expensive next to a £30 one.... but what if that £100 belt lasts 10 years.... and the £30 belt lasts but 2... that expensive belt is actually a lot cheaper than the £30 belt ( £10 per year vs £15 per year...)

Don't really understand that question at all...I know when something looks more expensive than it is mate, or are you just trying to be clever?

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Don't really understand that question at all...I know when something looks more expensive than it is mate, or are you just trying to be clever?

I think he means have you looked and think it looks expensive for the type of item it is or have you looked into the item quality, design, features etc and still thought it sounded expensive?

To answer the question in OP, It's to do with brand and quality like anything you buy. It's not just bushcraft stuff.

Also "expensive" is subjective, What may be expensive to one person may not be to another. It all depends on what you wan/can pay and what they want/can charge.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Think you misunderstood him there mate. I took that to mean the price of something may seem high, but the quality makes it a long lasting item... for example... a £100 belt seems expensive next to a £30 one.... but what if that £100 belt lasts 10 years.... and the £30 belt lasts but 2... that expensive belt is actually a lot cheaper than the £30 belt ( £10 per year vs £15 per year...)

That's pretty much it Mark. There is a difference between cost and good value, take the Laplander sheath as the OP mentioned, hand made by a craftsperson every stitch hole hand punched by awl, topped off with proper saddle stitch. And quite frankly in my opinion the best looking Laplander sheath out there, not massively bulky like some others.
You pay what you feel is acceptable and I do the same.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
If the maker is living from his work, then he needs to charge the amount that will enable him to continue providing for his family and continue his work. This will be far more than x for materials, x for time, etc. If you're self employed you need to pay for insurance, holidays, sickness, expenses. So £40/50 (£80?) per hour is not unreasonable. How many hours to make a knife or a belt? And the retailer needs to make a profit. One has faith that Ray will not sell rubbish, hence you trust his business not to rip you off.

rg598

Native
I strongly believe some of his stuff is ridiculously overpriced from a practical standpoint. He charges that much because people are willing to pay more for the brand name. Nothing says "I live in unity with nature" like a $50 brand name luggage tag.

I bet you he can sell Woodlore branded dog turds and they will be backordered six months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I bet you he can sell Woodlore branded dog turds and they will be backordered six months.

I doubt that. His branded stuff has gained a reputation as being very high quality for a decent price. If he started banging out rubbish, the business wouldn't last long. There's a reason why people buy 'the brand' and it isn't solely down to his TV persona.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Indeed Ross, I've read your article on your blog about how all of the sudden a vintage belt for a Safari with the RM-logo is the kit you really need when out and about :D

But I do understand that an online-shop can augment the profits for bushcraft-companies more, in the end, they do have to make a living. No-one is forced to pay these amounts for this kind of gear.

But RM isn't the only one cashing in on it, look at the silly BG and Les Stroud-gear.... At least almost every item Woodlore sells is of great quality, I'll give them that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE