Why doesn''t the skirt of my tipi have stakeout points?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a Tentipi. I'm very happy with it, but one thing causes frustration: it has a skirt (extra material round the bottom) and Tentipi say to heap earth and leaves on it. All very well in a forest, but I often use it in more exposed places where there isn't loose stuff lying around for this purpose. When the wind picks up, there's nothing to stop it picking up the skirt and blowing in.

What I really want to do is add some stakeout points for the skirt. But I was wondering first of all if there's some reason it doesn't have them already. Seems sort of an obvious need.

Then I was wondering if anyone has done this already, or can offer some sage advice as to how best to do this.

Thanks!
Nohoval

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi like it says its designed to have earth/snow etc to keep it down

how about using a tarpaulin eyelet kit then you can peg it without damaging the skirt

hope it helps

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Not an obvious need IMO, if the Tipi has been designed for forest then why would it need them particulary as much of Scandanvia is forest. A lot of tents also have a valance for use in snow so perhaps this was another consideration?
What about going to a ships chandlers for some sail making parts and rings?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have the bison tundra and it too has a skirt. I knew right away why there wasn't eyelets as it's designed for use in the snow and so bought an eyelet kit to make peg-out points on it. Not got round to it yet though and am thinking the rubber grommets won't cut through the material- will have to source brass ones me thinks!

ATB

kp

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
might be worth trying some clingons no, nothing at all to do with Star Trek :)

I have NO personal experience of these, but had read quite favourable reports about them on another camping related forum. as they dont require you make a hole in your fabric, they might be worth a go to see how it goes.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Is it a Tentipi? My Varrie 5 and Varrie 9 have peg out points on the edge of the valance. I do have a Helsport model and the valance is rather annoyingly on top of the main pegging straps and so used to flap around all over the place. I modded it by sewing tape and shock cord loops to the edges of the valance which could be pegged down. Problem solved.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Thanks for the inputs. Good suggestions all. I think I'll start with the Clingons - hadn't encountered them before. Anyone used them? Do they really stay on under load in strong winds? They seem ideal if so.

Nonsuch, yes it's a Tentipi, the Kvarts. It's the (old) basic model, and lacks some of the features of the fancier models. Maybe the peg-out points are another of the features I'm missing out on.

Thanks everyone!
Nohoval

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Thanks for the inputs. Good suggestions all. I think I'll start with the Clingons - hadn't encountered them before. Anyone used them? Do they really stay on under load in strong winds? They seem ideal if so.

I have a Helsport tipi and use the smaller clingons with a wire peg pushed straight through. The load on the lower part of the tent shouldn't get too high. I've used them on a tensioned tarp as well, and they haven't slipped or failed.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Nonsuch, yes it's a Tentipi, the Kvarts. It's the (old) basic model, and lacks some of the features of the fancier models. Maybe the peg-out points are another of the features I'm missing out on.

Thanks everyone!
Nohoval
I've used the big clingons on a large family tent to increase pegging out options on windows and doors, they do the job very well.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Maybe you could cut a slice into the turf and tuck the skirt (we called it a sod cloth, back in the day) under before treading it back down.

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Clingons are well worth getting, I had promised the suppliers a review but have not done one yet do to illness. All being well I'll use them on a parachute setup next week and post the results.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for clingons!

Why don't you fold your tent's skirt inwards and under the edge of the groundsheet as we used to do with the sod-cloths Ogri referred to, and as I have done on this Tundra 3,

BisonT3.jpg

Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Clingons seem popular! So I've ordered a bunch, and I'll update here with my conclusions. I hope it works, I'm not keen on the idea of cutting into the fabric.

I don't think any form of tucking under will solve my problem by itself. A lot of the places we camp can be windy - exposed mountain sides, off-shore islands etc - and in those conditions the wind will eventually undo anything not actually nailed down.

I'm intrigued by this 'sod-blanket' thing, although it sounds like a lot of work.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I use clingons on my silicon-nylon tentipi, or tucked the valence inside. The clingons are the small ones which I've modified to remove the 'teeth'. Teeth grip well on sturdy material but can damage the lightweight material. Friction holds the clingons well without the teeth. I did consider fitting brass eyelets but didn't think they'd work well in the lightweight material, I'm not sure they'd hold and think they'd rip out too easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE