Measuring the distance between 2 points - challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I like this. Anyone got any more like it? I know there's a way to estimate the height of a tree/building without any gadgets....

Z

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I like this. Anyone got any more like it? I know there's a way to estimate the height of a tree/building without any gadgets....

Z

You can do all sorts of things like this with a bit of string and a plastic ruler.

The ancients called it a kamal. It was used in navigation, but it can be used in many settings.

Basically a 'modern' kamal is a bit of string with a ruler graduated in milliimetres at one end and a knot at the other end. There's 573mm of string between the knot and the ruler.

The fundamental principle is that you can very easily both measure small angles and make accurate approximations with them.

A lot of calculations involve the 'sine' of an angle.

If you're talking about a right-angled triangle, the sine of the angle between the hypotenuse (longest side) of the trangle and the other side which is adjacent to it is the ratio of the other side to the hypotenuse.

But don't panic, now it gets easy.

For small angles, the sine of the angle is approximately equal to the angle itself, which means you can eliminate some of the calculations if you know what you're doing.

The kamal lets you measure small angles directly, just by holding the knot in the bit of string in your teeth, pulling the string taught and looking past the ruler at the thing you're measuring.

For the purpose of the calculations the angles we're measuring here are expressed in radians, not in degrees. But they're the same angles.

So for the OP's problem, you only need one stake, no rope, and a kamal. You don't have to get your feet wet.

Drive the stake into the bank opposite the tree.

Walk a known distance away from both the stake and the tree - it doesn't really matter how far, but far enough so that the angle you're measuring is just a few degrees.

Measure the angle between the tree and the stake using the kamal - let's say it's 57.3mm on the ruler, or (57.3/573) = 0.1 radians.

If you walked about 500m away from the stake and the tree, they're about 500 x sin(0.1) m away from each other.

But since 0.1 is a small angle, sin(0.1) is approximately (to better than 0.2% in fact) equal to 0.1, so the tree is 500 x 0.1 = 50m from the stake.

I love geometry. :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Found it - here

Hold your hand at arm's length in front of you, and bend your fingers at a ninety-degree angle from your arm. For most people, the width of your fingers at arm's length subtends an 11-1/4 degree angle.

Walk toward or away from the object you are trying to measure, until the angle subtended by the object is 4 hand-widths (which is -- conveniently enough -- equal to 45 degrees). From that point, the distance to the base of the object from where you are standing is equal to the height of the object. Pace out the distance from where you are standing to the base of the object to obtain the height.

No maths needed more complicated than counting!

Z

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I just found this in some scouting literature:-

stream%20estimate_zpsry7v0ehl.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE