Who do you believe? the government or the whole of nature?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
<snip> We were pretty much scavengers, eating berries, nuts, seeds and meat if we could get it. We'd generally be last at the kill, so we'd end up with the (fatty) bone marrow. The romantic notion of a hunter gatherer knocking off fresh kudu every day is a Hollywood fiction. <snip>

Were did you get this from? if you don't mind me asking. also i thought we adopted farming practices around 6000 years ago?

Last edited:

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Interesting, but before you take what the book says and accept it, I reccomend that you read into the subject a bit more.

Humans have changed, now that we can be active all year round, and sleep less we need more carbs. I don't need a low fat (no carbs diet) because if I had one, I wouldn't last untill lunch. Remember that some of us are a bit more physical than others. On a normal day (if my collarbone was not broken) at Lympstone I burn through about 3500 calories.

Different people have different metabolisms.

I found your post interesting, but not really sure of Op's intent.

So, out of 10, ill give you a not convinced.

Last edited:

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Were did you get this from? if you don't mind me asking. also i thought we adopted farming practices around 6000 years ago?

My wife! I tend to believe her - she's quite clever you know. (Highest IQ that U of Toronto Academic Bridging program has ever measured).

I deliberately over estimated the age of modern agriculture so that there would be no argument that it went back further - my understanding is that it is approx 10k years old. So, 20k years is zilch in evolutionary terms and easily exceeds how long we've been farming.

Ph34r I don't advocate zero carb low fat - I advocate zero refined carb and sugar, as much complex carb and fat as you need, plus loads of protein. The protein tends to suppress appetite for longer. (Having said that, I fall off too - I love chocolate and cakes as much as the next man).

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
And the Eskimo, of course, had been eating like it for aeons. They enjoyed superb health on it.

Well, right up until they died at an average age of 40 or so...

The authors say that the only animals apart from Man that get cancer are domestic pets.

That's just rubbish. Tasmanian devils are currently being decimated by a form of cancer.

The principle reason so many people get cancer these days is that we live longer. You've gotta die of something, and cancer is frequently what it is if nothing else gets you first.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Southey: I asked the boss...

"The idea of prehistoric human ancestors scavengers is so established, I wouldn't know where to look for a reference. But you don't even need to go back as far as the australopithicines. H. habilis certainly was a scavenger (and food for loads of other animals) and ergaster, rudolphensis and erectus were liable to have still been doing a lot of scavenging until the full transition (if there ever was one) to hunting."

:D

I did a bit of googling and there's loads of info on it, I found this New Scientist article interesting.

Another good one here (read down to the bit about wheat intake being massively correlated with coronary heart disease)

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is there in anthropological circles a clear definition between hunters and scavengers? I mean that sort of clear delineation works say for lions and hyenas but the most successful, adaptable creatures tend to be able to take whatever food source is locally abundant whether that is hunting, gathering or scavenging. Where do flint arrowheads fit in? and cave paintings of hunting scenes? are these much later in date? were the arrowheads for defense rather than food? Sorry of this is going slightly off topic but the thread made me realise how little I know about this early period.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Ph34r I don't advocate zero carb low fat - I advocate zero refined carb and sugar, as much complex carb and fat as you need, plus loads of protein. The protein tends to suppress appetite for longer. (Having said that, I fall off too - I love chocolate and cakes as much as the next man).

You are confuzzling me... I was talking to the guy that started the thread... But thanks anyway :D (awkward turtle)

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Robin:

The line between scavenging and hunting is indeed blurry. And early stone tools, such as Oldowan (2.5 ish to 1.7 ish million years ago) were likely for scraping and digging, as well as for smashing bones left at large carnivore kills to get at the marrow, and for bashing small animals, reptiles and perhaps birds. Oldowan tools are also known as pebble tools cos they were made from pebbles already closely resembling the tools they would become. They were pretty crude and simple. Arrowheads are way, way later (the earliest known are c. 60,000 years ago) and while anyone hungry enough will be happy for found food, arrowheads are largely indicative of hunting, not scavenging. The earliest cave paintings are somewhere around 30,000 years old.

(from my wife)

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
A Little bit of what you fancy does you good. ;-)
Seems to me all our major ills (cancer, Type 2, heart disease) are caused by excess, protein included....

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
IMHO there has been some complete rubbish written in this thread........Too much to mention all of it.
A couple that stick out are calling folks Eskimos, as that is clearly not what they cal themselves, and so takes credibility from that assertion.
A second is saying that UK nutritionists are behind those in the U.S. as this totally misses the point of how nutritionists actually recommend anything....i.e. on a one to one basis with no two people getting the same recommendation. Working and training with literally dozens of nutritionists tells me the thread comment was way off mark.

I would also be interested in hearing how doing twenty minutes hard exercise before eating helps your metabolism, as less than 30-33 minutes is not enough to affect it.

However, that said. Here is a link to the true answer to food intake and weight loss, and is in fact very simple and common sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck

But never diet too much or you may end up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSYQwDKm8Ps

Happy viewing :)

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
IMHO there has been some complete rubbish written in this thread........Too much to mention all of it.

Of course not detailing what you consider to be rubbish prevents anyone from refuting your statements.

I would also be interested in hearing how doing twenty minutes hard exercise before eating helps your metabolism, as less than 30-33 minutes is not enough to affect it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7852987.stm would tend to indicate otherwise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
re the hunting/scavenging........anthropologists have researched food aquisiton strategies right since the beginning of their discipline.
They routinely acknowledge that women and children bring in as much, indeed in many areas, more food, than the hunting menfolks do.
Hunters bring in high status stuff, the bigger meat iimmc, while the women and children and younger teenagers bring in on a constant basis. Small meat, like birds, eggs, reptiles and amphibians as well as the roots, fruits and tubers.

From an archaeological point of view however, the remaining evidences in the prehistorical record are heavily biased towards the preservation of stone and bone.
Thus we have the arrow heads, the stone choppers and scrapers and the cut marked bones.

One true irrefutable evidence for collecting (scavanging if you will) are the huge shell middens of the northern sea coasts.
Literally millions of collected and cooked molluscs..........and they don't need shot, netted, trapped, just patiently gathered.

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Happy viewing :)

I hope this thread can keep running without degenerating into silly slaggy stuff because the subject matter is actually quite interesting.

I very much enjoyed both the youtubes posted above.

My comment about 20 mins hard exercise first thing in the morning was based mostly on personal experience. I personally find 20 minutes splitting logs before breakfast kick starts my metabolism, generates considerable heat etc. I find it difficult to believe less than 30-33 minutes has no effect, care to share a source?

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Pteron.

It is hard to answer you properly, as you seem to not to have bothered to read my post (and have neglected to mention other posters who strongly disagree with the OP), even though you quoted me as saying 'IMHO', so I was quoting MY opinions, and not making a statement, as you wrongly presume.
I did scan through your link, but saw it was concerning diabetes, and not metabolic rates, so was pretty useless for an example I guess. Can you show me the point in the link that refers to either 20 minutes hard exercise, or approx 30 as I mentioned, and in relation to the metabolic rate?

You may find it harsh that I don't take you seriously, but you accuse me of not detailing what I consider to be rubbish, and then go on to quote one of the two examples I detailed!!!!!! lol

I am more than happy to talk facts and provide links (as it seems that is what many on this site like...Rather than do their own research), so maybe you could provide another forty or fifty links to prove your assertion on British nutritionists, as you would that here are easily that many schools of thought in this area...Oh and don't forget to include examples from Holistic based, science based, and a slack handful of NHS related links, as well as Modern U.S. ones in selected areas...... I hope you now are getting my point that by putting up one poorly connected link really serves no purpose :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE