Which Silky saw?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Going to splurge out.

which Silky would be the best?

(also, I might as well take the opportunity to ask if anyone wants to swap one...)

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
I have an f180 for in my pocket on general wanders, but if im seriously trimming some wood i have the sugoi, its a beast of a handsaw, and very quick at cutting, but take some plasters with you as if you touch you finger with it you'll bleed a lot, (you will at some point, i dont think i know any silky users who havent cut themselves) its very expensive but if you cut logs upto 8 inches its fine, nice and aggressive cutting, just a bit big for generally carrying around :)

I wouldnt part with either of them though

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you seen the price of the replacements blades Tengu ?

Gonna treat myself one day but my Laplander's doing okay at the moment

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive had loads of models and replacement blades, but never bought one. When that happens your hooked!
Zubat's my favorite.
Although just for the hell of it I bought a Bacho laplander cheap this year for a change, its ok for small occasional use, and I love the handle and locking mechanism.

ganstey

Settler
I bought a Zubat a few years ago and its fantastic, but its not something I would carry in a pack - I have a Laplander for that. But if you're going to be pruning lots of largish branches then I don't think it can be beaten. I keep mine with my chainsaw gear as its less bulky than a bowsaw for times when I can't be bothered/justify using the chainsaw.

I bought mine at a trade fair after trying about half a dozen different ones. They were all great, but the Zubat felt the most comfortable in my hand (YMMV). If you can I suggest you try out a few before deciding which one to go with.

G

just got a Silky Bigboy (£40 of ebay) lot bigger than a laplander but far far better
Dsc_4521.jpg

Dsc_4520.jpg

Dsc_4522.jpg

ive never really liked the laplander and have been using a gerber exchange a balde saw for years similer to a silky in blade style etc

if you want to do a lot of cutting in bigger stuff get a silky if you dont then it dosnt really matter which you have

ATB

Duncan

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on what you want it for Tengu ;)

I use Zubats mostly, but I'm felling and crosscutting with it and the curved blade is very efficient in those applications. If you are doing more bushcrafty things where the ability to make a flat cut is best, then go for one of the straight bladed saws. Then folding or fixed? I prefer fixed because you get more saw for the length, but I don't carry mine in my pocket! I think the Katana boy is for those who are compensating for something, but it does have a good long stroke ;)

As for silky Vs laplander. NO contest. The silky is more expensive but many times better in use and longevity. There is a reason that those who play in the woods buy laplanders and those who WORK in the woods have Silky. You'll never find a professional woody using a laplander ;)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a big boy and pocket boy but also keep a laplander in the van glove box.
Silkys cut fast and clean but you do need to know how to use them as the thin flexible blades can easily kink if you ever get them pinched in a cut. Laplander will do the job, it just takes a bit longer how much wood are you cutting? Small bow saw is a good tool too though not pocketable.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Take the easy and cheap option... go for the F180 i'd say. £20 posted or so, small enough for your pocket, big enough to take on ample size wood!

I can cut wood thats just about too thick to batton by triflex through, what more would i need! as far a s kinking go's, no problems with mine and i've caught it several times, i just do exactly what it says on the back of the box now... and let the saw do the work.

Enjoy your purchase, whatever you decide!

TBL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE