Optimus 99 or 8R?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Trying to plan my outdoors stuff for the summer; some of this will be sub zero...

Am also trying not to take stuff I might not need...

So, I have both of these...which one?

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
So where are you headed and will there be any snow melting involved?
Admittedly I have owned neither, SVEA 123 and the bigger 111B were my old stoves.
Small stove wasn't much good above the snow line and the big one was heavy. Summer and sub-zero imply altitude; would that be correct? Canned gas is easier and in some ways cheaper if it's a short trip, can you get naptha or will you have to use kerosene?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The 8R is much cuter than the boxy 99. But like people are saying, gas is best. Often the stove systems use an inverted can and the liquid gas runs through a preheat tube through the flame to gasify the liquid. All nicely containerised, no liquids for cold hands to spill.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I'd guess reliability and relative compactness. Anything smaller is pretty well useless in deep cold.
My understanding [ albeit limited] is that the 45s were used inside choofer boxes made from empty square kerosine tins or nailed together plywood sheets to limit heat loss

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Yet we Aussies and ANARE have gone to bottled Propane for ease of use and reliability when using motorised transport.
Maybe because replacement 45s and the ilk are now too expensive; fetching big dollars now since production stopped

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Either of them will burn in low temps with enough of a prime. If you have the pump attachment then both of them will have no problem at all. I have a picture of one of my 99's boiling a trangia kettle in a snow drift somewhere. If it's snow melting then I would suggest something a little larger maybe a 111. The early everst trips used a 210 or 00 on paraffin IIRC. If you're not going high then gas will work but I would say liquid fuel would work better. However, if you are planning to use a plane to get you there then that may throw up some interesting problems.

Si

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I just never trust a petrol stove entirely, especially if you need to cook something for a bit longer than say just boiling a kettle.

The prospect of the tank overheating and then venting while the stove is lit, in an enclosed space terrifies me.

Much happier with paraffin / diesel versions, even if they are a little slower to light. Once you are comfortable with it it is easy enough.

As for gas, the cylinder always seem to be empty at the worst possible moment with no replacement for miiiiiiles. A pint of parrafin / diesel seems to last forever.

Lovely forum on stoves over at https://classiccampstoves.com although prices on ebay or local auctions are usually far cheaper.

Reactions: Big Si

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE