Where are all the Laplander blades?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
The video mentioned "the next step". Anyone have any idea what that might be?
Next step is to neutralise the acid.
Done with a sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).
It's in the comments section of the video.
Along with the usual selection of negative comments.
They also say this isn't very repeatable. But if it saves one blade going in the bin and me some money, as well as learning something new. I'm all for it.
Proper saw sharpening techniques next!

Reactions: JFW

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
*update

Well, the ferric chloride didn't work, but it was worth a punt. To be fair I think it made a tiny bit of difference, but not a lot. Hey ho.

So I'm still with the old 576xt blade in my laplander which works but it's not great.
The f180 is great and blades are easy to find.
I think I'm just frustrated that I can get a new laplander but not blades.
Woodlore couldn't tell me why, or when more stock is coming in, nor could another company.
Weird. Is it a brexit thing I wonder?
Out of stock for months!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’m weary of the silky vs Laplander nonsense. People managed to cut wood before Silky
Burst on the scene like a Kurasawa movie. Canterbury damned the boxfull of broken blades at PF and later started using silkies like he invented them. There are strengths and weaknesses in both. If I’m tired, or my old hand injury rebels in cold
Temps the superior ergonomics
And idiot proof blade work just fine. If my neighbor is sculpting a black pine for a tea garden commission it’s Silky

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
They appear to be available over here on the sunny uplands of the EU........

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
They appear to be available over here on the sunny uplands of the EU........

Which only begins to confirm my thoughts that it's a Brexit thing.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Silkies are ok but not unique, many brands such as Wolfgarten, Samurai, Oregon all produce similarly effective saws.

Laplanders on the other hand have rested on their laurels for some time and whilst still more effective than a bow saw, have fallen behind the rest of the pack in cutting ability and whilst they can take more abuse than similar, when all are used without abuse, they certainly don't lead the pack in efficiency.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I contacted Bacho about an order of Laplander blades in March, they’re currently out of stock. There is a blade available that doesn’t have the dark coating which will fit the Laplander but the teeth are slightly different and it’s fractions of a millimetre thinner.
Bacho could not tell me when they would be getting more Laplander blades.
They did a promotion which had a Laplander paired with a knife that resembled a Mora clipper, maybe they sold too many.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE