Where are all the Laplander blades?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
As the title says really.
I've been looking for a while but nobody on the interwebs has any in stock.
My original blade is past it.

I found an old 376 blade, xt I think. Not bad, quite fine teeth, but not as good as the original on green wood.

So I picked up a Silky F180 for a decent price (thanks for the heads up on here) as a replacement.
My worst fears happened when I was going hell for leather with the Silky and snapped 2in off the tip.
So I'm back to square one.
I can find a replacement Silky blade for about £15. But the Silky doesn't fit quite as well in the leather sheath I've got.

Laplander blades haven't been in stock anywhere for ages, so I just wondered if anyone knew something I don't. More than usual that is! :joyful:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As the title says really.
I've been looking for a while but nobody on the interwebs has any in stock.
My original blade is past it.

I found an old 376 blade, xt I think. Not bad, quite fine teeth, but not as good as the original on green wood.

So I picked up a Silky F180 for a decent price (thanks for the heads up on here) as a replacement.
My worst fears happened when I was going hell for leather with the Silky and snapped 2in off the tip.
So I'm back to square one.
I can find a replacement Silky blade for about £15. But the Silky doesn't fit quite as well in the leather sheath I've got.

Laplander blades haven't been in stock anywhere for ages, so I just wondered if anyone knew something I don't. More than usual that is! :joyful:
Bahco's pages seem to have a good selection of retailers in the UK, tried that?

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Perhaps Bahco have realized that Silky is taking over the market of foldable saws and stopped making extra blades.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Always here of Silky's snapping but never a Laplander, maybe that's why they are hard to find as they rarely break so no one stocks replacements?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
'Hell for leather' with a Silky? Great Scot!

They are well known to be delicate; being thin, due to being `push` saws.

You need to treat them with care.

I have never had trouble with mine, but then I an gentle with it.

Some folk never get the hang of `push` saws. Best to stay away from them.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Given that a new blade is almost the price of a new saw, they probably expect you to just buy the whole thing.

On a related note, last week I found my dad has blunted his Silky F180 and I mean BLUNTED it. I reckon he ran it over a stone or at least through some soil because several teeth are missing their tips.

• Wow
Reactions: Herman30

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Always here of Silky's snapping but never a Laplander, maybe that's why they are hard to find as they rarely break so no one stocks replacements?
It’s because the blades are great big thick things that take an age and lots of effort to remove wood but cut on push and pull strokes. Anyone used to a traditional saw that cuts on both strokes is going to have to get used to putting pressure on the pull stroke and lifting for the push stroke with a Silky. The push stroke is just to reposition the saw for the next cut on the pull.

I had a Laplander for a while, but having got used to a Super Accel, it felt more like a file than a saw.

I‘m seeing a few blades about, but mainly out of stock. It’s possible everyone is waiting on the same boat arriving, a bit like 5.11 brand clothing, it enters the U.K. in one bulk load and tends to go out of stock everywhere.

Last edited:

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Laplanders and Silkies seem very fashionable in bushcraft circles but there are other good brands which rarely get a mention. Most people in the landscaping and tree surgery professions have heard of ARS saws which are held in high regard. I'm very fond of my Darlac saw (not all Darlac stuff is good) which cuts like a Silkie but without the price tag.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Yeah thanks I found the same stock just after I'd posted!
They've been out of stock for MONTHS, everywhere.
Great thing about a Laplander is I can bend it straight when I try and cut, er, corners? Haha.

I got a bit over excited using my Silky, PULL saw, I've been using it for about 6 months and it's been great. Oh well, that'll teach me to slow down a bit won't it? :joyful:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Laplanders and Silkies seem very fashionable in bushcraft circles but there are other good brands which rarely get a mention. Most people in the landscaping and tree surgery professions have heard of ARS saws which are held in high regard. I'm very fond of my Darlac saw (not all Darlac stuff is good) which cuts like a Silkie but without the price tag.
I've got an old, cheap non-branded one that has been really good despite some rough treatment. Faster than the Laplander but not as comfortable in the hand

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've got an old, cheap non-branded one that has been really good despite some rough treatment. Faster than the Laplander but not as comfortable in the hand
I've got a few from Lidl. Comfortable but not quite as fast as a Laplander. I bought them for cutting roots or anything that might ruin a blade. At £4 a pop they are expendible.

Reactions: SaraR

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Back on track.

This blade fits. It cuts more aggressively and cleaner in green wood than the Laplander coated blade.

Interesting indeed that the spare blades are so expensive compared to the price of the saw, and that there are so few places with either in stock.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Back on track.

This blade fits. It cuts more aggressively and cleaner in green wood than the Laplander coated blade.

Interesting indeed that the spare blades are so expensive compared to the price of the saw, and that there are so few places with either in stock.
Thanks Chris.
I've got the finer toothed version of that.
Sadly the postage on that link is £7.99!!
What the bonkers is going on?

The amazon link doesn't have singles available. I'm not that desperate that I have to use amazon, yet.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Bummber about that postage, didn't look that far. Sorry. I found a blade like that for my mum in a local garden centre once.

At those prices I would be looking at resharpening the blade I had. Then, I have diamond cards and a ceramic slip stone that might fit in the teeth, I understand that buying the tools to do that probably cost more than buying a new blade.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Bummber about that postage, didn't look that far. Sorry. I found a blade like that for my mum in a local garden centre once.

At those prices I would be looking at resharpening the blade I had. Then, I have diamond cards and a ceramic slip stone that might fit in the teeth, I understand that buying the tools to do that probably cost more than buying a new blade.
That's a good idea actually.
I'd prefer to re-use than buy new.
I've got quite a range of sharpening kit. Have you any tips on how?
I've not looked at the teeth in any detail yet, so I'm not sure about angle etc.
I'm pretty good with knives, but saws are another thing.
I'll have a search.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think Chris Grant did a video a long way back with Sean the silver fox about sharpening a laplander blade with acid (patio cleaner) it might still be on youtube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE