which knife would you have with you

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
Like I said in another thread, I have become a fan of big knives. A military sized Khukri or a Tramontina machete would do for me. When you come down to a survival situation, a strong powerful tool is an advantage.

David Enoch

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Here in the US I'd take my SBT. In Brazil it would have to be my 16 inch Tramontina machete. Most realistically if I was ever out in the bush with such limits I'd have my EDC blades which are a Spyderco Endura and a Vic Huntsman Plus.

Mac

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Almost without doubt my SBT Mk1, probably the one in S30V. Yes, I'm amazingly lucky because I've got two - the other's in 01.

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor Knife or MOD "Survival" Knife. Not bushcrafters knives I know, but it wasn't really a bushcraft question;)
wilkie.jpg

mod.jpg

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
As much as I would love to say the mora or typical 3 to 4" scandi style knife, if you're talking about shelter building and firewood without the luxury of an axe or saw, I would definately go for a heavier, longer knife than can chop effectively. As has been said, a machete/golok/kukri would be the best option IMO.

I recently picked up a boker magnum "camp bowie" for 23 quid, it's 5mm thick with a 5.75" blade and chops through wrist-thick branches with little effort and deals with battoning no problem - while still being small enough for finer tasks like prepping game, carving notches for traps, feather sticks etc. I'd take that over a mora without giving it a second thought.

Has anyone tried to build a lean-to shelter with reflector and collect enough firewood for cooking and staying warm overnight, using just a mora? I think I'd die of exhaustion before it got dark :p

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
This is easy for me my Randall #1-6 it has been a round the world with me and never let me down. Cooking, hut building, bush cutting, fighting,
It can and has done them all.

my beloved PUMA "outdoor palmwood" of course!!! made by a krautcompany, but they know something (since 1769)' bout knivemaking. goes with me wherever i go(except under the shower :D )and has served all my needs(including defending meself succesfully 'gainst a maniac with a machete who attacked me without any reason on a fishingtrip about 6years ago)since many years. but i have always my "leatherman supertool" and a little "buck" knive living on the same belt as well, so they would be with me, too!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...fighting...

...(including defending meself succesfully...

It's good to read everyones tales, however please remember that this is a 'bushcraft' site, specifically a 'British' bushcraft site and any references to knives being used as anything other than 'tools for bushcraft' are not only out of place but can only add to the problems we already face regarding knife ownership.

Cheers :)

It's good to read everyones tales, however please remember that this is a 'bushcraft' site, specifically a 'British' bushcraft site and any references to knives being used as anything other than 'tools for bushcraft' are not only out of place but can only add to the problems we already face regarding knife ownership.

Cheers :)

point taken! my beloved knive's MAIN purpose is as a tool! i did not suggest using it for fighting- it just happened to be the only thing i had to my hands... .and fortunately neither me nor the machete-wielding maniac got hurt!!!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As much as I would love to say the mora or typical 3 to 4" scandi style knife, if you're talking about shelter building and firewood without the luxury of an axe or saw, I would definately go for a heavier, longer knife than can chop effectively. As has been said, a machete/golok/kukri would be the best option IMO.
Has anyone tried to build a lean-to shelter with reflector and collect enough firewood for cooking and staying warm overnight, using just a mora? I think I'd die of exhaustion before it got dark :p

I've done this, even with no knife, in the summer and early fall. Quite doable, just use standing dead wood (plentifull in the taiga forests). Probably takes a couple of hours in the summer. Actually, in the summer I'd seldom bother with an all night fire, just add plenty of hot rocks around/under the bedding.

In colder weather an all night fire might be needed, and there the axe or saw is *very* usefull.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Crikey! Erm, does it have to be a knife or 'one cutting implement'? If it's a knife, i'd probably take my 40th birthday present. It's the knife presented to me last weekend by the South Wales Bushcrafters in honour of my 40th birthday and to commemorate the end of my long and distinguished military career. i'll be posting a thread in 'cutting tools' soon.

If it's any cutting implement, i may opt for the BR-Cegga Hunters Axe. Small enough to be used as a knife (does anything a knife can do, apart from 'look like a knife' and possibly whittle, though that may be my lack of skill) but also big enough to do axe work, and everything in between. I'm sure a few people on here favour axes, so i'd be interested to hear who would take an axe instead of a knife?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Have thought this through and if I was thrown into an unexpected situation then the only thing I'd have on me would be my Leatherman Surge.
Having spent a lot of time with it on my belt and used almost daily, I don't think it would let me down.
Okay, to try to baton wood with it would be extreme but if it can fettle a wedge from a hardwood and this then used to split wood, battoning is not an issue.
While given the choice I'd have a fixed blade, I think I would end up relying on what was on my person.
Good thread, it makes one consider options.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
That's an intersting twist - if you were thrown into such a situation right now, this very moment, what blade do you have on you?QUOTE]

One that is less than 3" and easily capable of closing across fingers of course!

Sorry:sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE