which bushcraft items would you recommened

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I for one take several items that do not feature in the average backpackers itinnery. Even though they are lightweight they are not basic essentials and do weigh a few grammes. A knife is considered already in, an axe heavy weight.The items are

pliers 65g
wood and metal saw 100g
length of cordage 200g
file 20g

I am also looking to get other items, again only lightweight but useful for bushcraft.

Bow saw blade about 150g
billhook fashioned into a digging implement also 200g
longer cordage

is there other items people take that would make a useful addition.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What are you doing to a bill hook to make it weigh 200g, why not use a digging stick?
dump the pliers and metal saw and file unless you are planning on being away for a couple of week or more

rg598

Native
"A useful addition" to what? Anything can technically be useful. By the end, you have brought your house out into the woods. That's fine if car camping. If however you plan on going somewhere with your gear, this additional items are the opposite of useful. Maybe I'm just missing the question.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
the expression 'bushcraft items' is very misleading - indeed as are these so overused words which have sadly become quite meaningless.
Exactly what bushcraft skills are you proposing to practice? and in which environment? and for how long? with access to commercial resources or not? etc
or are you planning a camping trip ?
It's impossible to offer any constructive suggestions without a little ... ( well a lot!) more precision!

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Interesting thread, but i still call myself a walker/hiker/camper, still not sure what bushcraft is, unless its what i've been doing for the last 45yrs, which is walking/hiking/camping...

Rob

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I for one take several items that do not feature in the average backpackers itinnery. Even though they are lightweight they are not basic essentials and do weigh a few grammes. A knife is considered already in, an axe heavy weight.The items are

pliers 65g
wood and metal saw 100g
length of cordage 200g
file 20g

I am also looking to get other items, again only lightweight but useful for bushcraft.

Bow saw blade about 150g
billhook fashioned into a digging implement also 200g
longer cordage

is there other items people take that would make a useful addition.

Pliers - i take a multitool if im away on exped and might need to fix something like bindings etc
wood or metal saw - if im going to be processing lots of wood yes ill take a bow saw and a silky / laplander type
cordage - i always carry extra cordage - dyneema
file - cant think of a use for a file that i would personally have
bowsaw blade - tis a good idea, you can make up a saw frame when out

I dont think i carry anything you wouldnt see in most loadouts but obviously it varies with terrain. Crampons for instance in winter are useful as is an ice axe but generally only in the mountains

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
What are you doing to a bill hook to make it weigh 200g, why not use a digging stick?
dump the pliers and metal saw and file unless you are planning on being away for a couple of week or more

fiskars do a 350g brushook brush axe bill hook thing, I think if you take the hook off the end youll have a long handled trowell, and a wood processor.

I understand the thing with less weight/clutter, but certain items may be worth carrying anyhow. A bow saw blade is only light, but maybe invaluable.

In your opinion bow saw and brush axe thing, or small axe ? Pliers are invaluable I've found

rg598

Native
I understand the thing with less weight/clutter, but certain items may be worth carrying anyhow. A bow saw blade is only light, but maybe invaluable.

Where are you carrying them, and for what purpose? If you are planning on starting a homestead in the Canadian north, then I'm sure those items might be worth carrying. If on the other hand you are going for a week long backpacking/camping trip, then their utility is probably far overshadowed by their weight and bulk.

There is a lot of stuff that is theoretically useful, but in reality is just dead weight.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Where are you carrying them, and for what purpose? If you are planning on starting a homestead in the Canadian north, then I'm sure those items might be worth carrying. If on the other hand you are going for a week long backpacking/camping trip, then their utility is probably far overshadowed by their weight and bulk.

There is a lot of stuff that is theoretically useful, but in reality is just dead weight.

well thats the point, which lightweightish but possibly deadweight items would you take that the average camper wouldn't

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry I disagree. That is just walking/camping blah blah
Bush-CRAFT is just that a specific CRAFT which implies a learned skill. Going off camping isn't a craft and a minimal 'skill' dare I use that word.

I disagree and don't like the cut of your Jib sir, for me when you walk out the door of your home with the intention of sleeping under a shelter you pitch or build you have gone camping...simple when you think about it.

The term 'Bushcraft' is a nonsense in many ways how on earth is it a specific craft lol

Its all been done before, all the camping/woodcraft/woodsman skills and techniques/equipment are old hat, non of the modern 'bushcrafters' have add anything new bar developing/modifying old designs with new materials.

Various 'crafts' may be used but what are they? Lots of bits and bobs some people feel the need to hang under some umbrella label such at 'bushcraft'?

Bert, face it mate, your a camper so Hi De Hi.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Creativity, common sense, practical ability, good feet, strong back, strong stomach, sense of humour.... good knife.... Rum. :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Pliers I can see multiple uses for, as a pot handles, driving needles through leather etc.

If want to carry a digging/cutting implement maybe look at a Japanese digging knife (Hori Hori) maybe.

rg598

Native
well thats the point, which lightweightish but possibly deadweight items would you take that the average camper wouldn't

None. Why would I carry dead weight. If I can get everything done with the other items I have, why carry ones which I don't need? I have a knife (Mora #2 clone), a saw (Bahco Laplander) and a multitool (Leatherman Squirt). Those are the only tools I have been carrying for some time now, and they have been working out just fine. I used to carry more years ago, but I found that I didn't need them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE