which bushcraft items would you recommened

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
A bow saw (bushman style) weighs next to nothing, so if I was expecting to have to process wood, gathering from wind-blow or other unmovable bits such as big bits of drift wood rather than just pick up bits here and there, I'd take a small to medium sized bow saw. The laplander is good but it's a toy by comparison. That said, the laplander is the kiddy for cutting hazel, or other, staves in awkward restricted places on the tree without the need to unnecessarily remove timber to access the bit one is after, or taking with for the "just in case".

The leatherman is a really handy tool, as is a basic sewing kit. But generally I take as little as I think I'll get away with.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
leatherman are small like swiss knives, as you say some things are toys due to there usefullness whilst heavy at the same time. Stanley do a wood blade (a good six inches) and a metal saw the same length that go in stanley knives, and can be addapted. To be honest the metal saw has never seen much use on anything other than wood, and a file has always managed to cut the needed metal before and can cut holes in things where a saw cannot.

Think I will get a bow saw, do you ever need a axe for splitting or are there other ways ?

rg598

Native
How much wood do you need to split? If you are going for high volume, then you need an axe of appropriate size. If not, in most circumstances you don't need to split any wood.

A bow saw blade is nice, but keep in mind that before you use it you actually have to convert it into a saw. That's not a problem if you start setting camp at noon, but if you are starting an hour before sunset, it will be a real issue.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How much wood do you need to split? If you are going for high volume, then you need an axe of appropriate size. If not, in most circumstances you don't need to split any wood.

A bow saw blade is nice, but keep in mind that before you use it you actually have to convert it into a saw. That's not a problem if you start setting camp at noon, but if you are starting an hour before sunset, it will be a real issue.

well obviously a bow saw isn't for the times your scrambling, neithers a big wood collecting session. But the times your just at camp for a couple of days 150g seems like a godsend, but maybe a laplander will do most, or even breaking the stuff up by jumping on it or burning it through. Depends on what your gonna make with greenwood.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Interesting thread, but i still call myself a walker/hiker/camper, still not sure what bushcraft is, unless its what i've been doing for the last 45yrs, which is walking/hiking/camping...

Rob

well theres lightweight Glamping jetboil, hydratiom bladders, stealthquilts, starving to death etc, or theres normal camping within reason. Viz a vi.

rg598

Native
well theres lightweight Glamping jetboil, hydratiom bladders, stealthquilts, starving to death etc, or theres normal camping within reason. Viz a vi.

Where are you getting all of this? Seems like you are set on starting a fight! Why is carrying a stove and a hydration bladder "glamping", or in any way equated to starving to death? Interesting stand point on "glamping" from someone who carries more tools in their pack than I have at home. I guess the whole "know more, carry less" thing that people used to say about bushcraft has become outdated and is now called "glamping".

How is carrying gear you do not need make the camping more "reasonable"? Again, are we talking about car camping or actually going into the woods. What you carry will greatly change based on what you plan on doing. You keep refusing to give us any meaningful parameters. I camp year round with the tools that I listed, and have been perfectly comfortably. Maybe I just don't get your point. It seems I am not the only one.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
+1 on the multitool. make sure it has an AWL for repairs.

IMO, unless you're building a large shelter like a cabin, forget the axe and bucksaw.
I rarely use an axe in the bush, unless I'm out for longer than 4 days at a stretch. I'll go out for a day or 2 with a bucksaw and axe to first build a leanto shelter, then i'll leave them at home for return trips.

if you want to make spoons and bowls, you might consider a crooked knife.
add a FA kit,
bahco Laplander saw for firewood gathering,
fish'in tools,
cooking pot,
fire starter(ferro rod),
knife and compass,
550 cord,
and a good tarp shelter(preferably canvas), and you're set! :)
what more does a guy really need?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Where are you getting all of this? Seems like you are set on starting a fight! Why is carrying a stove and a hydration bladder "glamping", or in any way equated to starving to death? Interesting stand point on "glamping" from someone who carries more tools in their pack than I have at home. I guess the whole "know more, carry less" thing that people used to say about bushcraft has become outdated and is now called "glamping".

How is carrying gear you do not need make the camping more "reasonable"? Again, are we talking about car camping or actually going into the woods. What you carry will greatly change based on what you plan on doing. You keep refusing to give us any meaningful parameters. I camp year round with the tools that I listed, and have been perfectly comfortably. Maybe I just don't get your point. It seems I am not the only one.

constipation tablets so you don't have to go the toilet and end up full of ****, sleeping tablets so your ultralight matress doesn't stop you sweeping, come on.

Fishing equipment, forgot that. Hooks for sea and river, what size ? Noose wire ? Net ? really I need costal survival to poke his head in.

Cable ties, like that, anything for cordage making that would come in handy, like a metal hook ?

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I don't get it :rolleyes: Each to their own :p

Everybody on here is really at quite different stuff under the catch all "bushcraft", so when expressing/asserting this or that approach/kit/ethic etc I think we should be mindful of the fact that there's no one size fits all because it means different things to different people.

Everyones experience is valid. "Walking a mile in another persons shoes" however, seems to be a tough one for people to imagine, to get it and be able to pass judgment/offer criticism, no matter how constructive, I think one has to walk it, if one lacks the imagination to fill in the gaps themselves and come to an accommodation of understanding.

I've read some stuff on here thats made me chuckle, even laugh out loud on occasion, some stuff thats made me sit bolt upright and think, "wow, now thats out there!".

The light weight versus the heavy weight approach all comes down to a couple of factors; purpose and experience.

A two mile walk through the woods has different demands to a similar type of walk of say 10 miles or more, or a wooded wilderness wander of 50+ miles taking multiple days to complete. The single munro summit venture versus the ten munro top fell run, summer or winter? Journeying to the greater ranges, guided, planned expedition, or maybe just a couple of mates doing it alpine style on a budget. The deserts, the arctic etc, all have different demands than say, a drive in bushcraft trip to an organized site in the balmy heat of August.

If I'm asked which type of bushcraft "kitchen sink" is best, I tend to avoid getting involved as I never carry one or have had need of one, but I appreciate that someone organizing 30 school kids/young adults etc on an overnighter to the woods, may well have, it's all relative to the purpose and the only thing pertinent to the question is the relative experiences of those with experience, if one is asking that is.

So what bushcraft gear would I recommend? None. After only 10 years of mainly being outside, in marginal circumstances for most of it I became preoccupied with improving my set up and spent quite a bit of time thinking;

What do I need to improve my lot?

The conclusion I came to was;

A house.

rg598

Native
constipation tablets so you don't have to go the toilet and end up full of ****, sleeping tablets so your ultralight matress doesn't stop you sweeping, come on.

Fishing equipment, forgot that. Hooks for sea and river, what size ? Noose wire ? Net ? really I need costal survival to poke his head in.

Cable ties, like that, anything for cordage making that would come in handy, like a metal hook ?

Your understanding of ultralight backpacking, and for that matter traveling in the woods seems to be extremely limited. Your comments on the subject give the bushcraft community a bad name. You have every right to pack as much useless gear as you want. Insulting whole groups of people just because they have the desire to keep their gear portable is uncalled for.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Your understanding of ultralight backpacking, and for that matter traveling in the woods seems to be extremely limited. Your comments on the subject give the bushcraft community a bad name. You have every right to pack as much useless gear as you want. Insulting whole groups of people just because they have the desire to keep their gear portable is uncalled for.

err, yeah.......

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands

Agree completely and the op's attitude stinks.

Problem is some folk think that a night out 1 mile from their car twice a year qualifies them as kit "experts"
You get folks that think walking round the back of the tent for a pee is a decent hike "advising" folks that intend to walk 10 miles in with their kit as to the "best" kit.

You've then got the old romantics that think they have to burn down half a forest the one time they camp out each year to cook and keep warm.

Purely for educational purposes, i should clarify that i manage to have a great nights sleep on my light mattress without having to result to sleeping tablets, certainly more comfortable than sleeping on tick infested fern leaves ;)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I would recommend:
First aid kit and a course
Shelter, a small tarp water resistant at least (set at an angle), cordage
Warmth: a thermal blanket plus a fleece liner
Fire: Butane lighters, wood strike any where matches and a proven ferro rod and striker
Water: a canteen, a larger metal cup, water purifying tablets
Tools: a hatchet, a sturdy sheath knife and a folding saw (according to your local laws), diamond lap, I also carry a small leatherman tool (micra?) with a scissor
Comfort: LED head light, candle in a 'hurricane holder', small flashlight, compass and maps and knowledge to use it, extra socks, a jacket (seasonal), rain poncho, a small bottle of soap, whistle
Rations: your daily needs plus, and an extra day or so for emergency, a small alcohol burner and stove, a metal pot (sm or med), spoon, I also carry a small skeleton knife with a piecing point (1" - 2" blade)
This should get you going at first modify as you get more exposure, go out several time before adding or deleting items as a rule.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Most of the tools you mention, I carry. Just in one neat package in the form of a Leatherman Wave mutlitool. You can do a lot with one of them...

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE