What's In Your Pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

Pinched this thread from over on hammockforums, and I'm quite curious to see how peoples loadouts compare to the folks over there. There seem to be more lightweight fans (or should that be 'nuts'?) over there, and the emphasis on traditional gear seems to be higher over here (trangias and suchlike) so I'm wondering if it'll translate in peoples pack weights.

So post a breakdown of whats in your pack, and if you can be bothered the weights.

Code:
Pack:
Lowe Alpine Sting, 45l, 1700g
with two surplus PLCE pouches, which are 12.5l each 450g est

Shelter:
DD Frontline Hammock 950g
dynaglide whoopie SRL 9g
1" Webbing (IIRC two 10' lengths) 250g approx
descender ring suspension 13g x 4 = 52g
DD 3m x 3m tarp 650g
dyneema ridgeline and tieouts 75g approx
Alpkits Skyehigh 600 sleeping bag 1215g
Unsponsored underblanket 1000g approx
Generic synethetic travel pillow 200g approx

Cooking:
Coleman f1 stove  153g 
Aluminium canteen 150g
Double walled stainless steel mug 200g
Aluminium bottle with screw off bottom section 200g approx
Generic plastic waterbottle 2l  25g-50g approx
Spork 26g

Bushcraft / misc:
Bark River Liten Bror + firesteel 145g + 20g approx
Bark River Mini Canadian 110g
FAK* 200g
2oz tin with tinder/firecubes 100g approx
3m additional dyneema cordage + 6' or so of twine 15g
Cheapo headtorch 110g
Electricians rubberised gloves** 10g
Laplander folding saw 205g
TP 15g approx
Lighter + tobacco tin 100g
Sitpad made from an offcut of a CCF pad 30g
Washkit (travel towel, hand mitten with toothbrush n paste) 200g approx
A book (recently been taking Zen Flesh, Zen Bones) 300g approx
Phone/carkeys/wallet 350g approx

Additional Clothing:
British poncho ???
Spare socks x2 60g + 60g
fleece 200g
wool hat 180g
And if the weather is bad i take these too:
longjohns, 120g
thermal tee 150g
gloves 40g

Used kitchen scales and google to get the weights so might not be 100% on but it puts me to a 10kg base weight, which is workable I guess. I can see a few places where I can cut weight on the cheap, cookwear being the main one, the torch too needs to go. Crazy that my pack is 1/5th of the weight tho!

Anyone want to share theirs?

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've just finished sorting my kit,it's now lighter than it's ever been.What I've tried to do is get it as light as possible without losing comfort and without compromising on strength and durability.Another main concern was cost,I don't see the sense in saving a few hundred grammes if it's going to cost a fortune.
Her's what I consider the absolut minimum kit that I would need to carry for an extended trip not including food ,water or fuel which I'll go into later.

Pack golite JAM2 879
Groundsheet half an IPK 270
Kip mat karrimor ultralite 600
Sleeping bag Blacks Technicals (-18) 1150
Bivibag Highlander Hawk 770
Tarp and fittings DD tarp Titanium pegs
Para cord ridge line and lightweight guys 960
1L water bottle nalgene 180
1L water bottle Source 28
Cook kit
MSR titan kettle
Lifeventure cup
Vargo Decagon stove
Tibetian spork
Total weight 250
First Aid Kit 146
Repair Kit 108
Bog paper 24
Had wash antibacterial 200
Towel 100
Sponge 8
Water purifying kit 7
Torch+batteries 61
Headlight petzl e+lite 45
space blanket +waterproof poncho 100
Waterproof jacket 350
Water proof trousers 90

Total (if my addition is correct) 6327 grammes
6.3 kilogrammes
13.9 lbs

This is an easy weight to carry all day but does consist of the minimum I would consider for an extended trip.
If I was out for more than a weekend then I would add:

Complete change of clothes (wear one ,wash and dry the other) 1000g

This would take the base weight of the full pack to 16lbs
Still an easy load to carry.

Now lets look at food ,water and fuel.

I will be taking for each day:
1 dehydrated main meal 150
2 oat so simple and 10g of sultanas 70
2 high energy fruit and nut bars 60
1 bar of chocolate 40
6 instant coffee sachet (nescafe 3 in 1 ) 30

total weight of food per day 350grammes

It's not the most imaginative of menus ,but it tastes good and is nutritious.
Each day I will need a minimumof 2 litres of water,preferably 3 each litre weighs 1 kilogramme so 3 is 3 kilogrammes or roughly 6 lbs.
I wouldn't be able to carry 6 lbs of water per day for a week ,I'd resupply as neccesary hoping to only carry 1 litre and use water where I found it.Most trips would be planned around the ability to be near water.

So now my pack has had added to it per day:

350g of food and 1000g of water,
Which brings my pack weight to 7677g
7.6 Kg
16.9 lbs

Fuel.

I have measured my fuel use to include 1 main meal,1 breakfast and 6 cups of coffee per day and with the stove I use can safely get by on 500ml of meths for 1 week,this weighs 500g 0r 1lb

To travel for a week carrying everything I need to be warm,well fed and comfortable all I need to carry is

17.9lbs call it 18lbs

This is an easy weight to carry and still allows for extras I would be happy carrying 25-30 lbs on a long hike so There is plenty of room for extra weight.
Now the big question ........Does it all fit into my pack?

Yes it does and there is still room for a lot more,I haven't even used the outside pocket yet or used the straps on the outside.Everything is packed inside.

If you can see a way to save more weight without spending a fortune tell me.
I will be replacing the nalgene bottle with another source bottle or two that will save over 100g at little extra cost.

Heres the calorie count for the food I carry too

coffee 6x 73Kcal = 438
main meal = 629
fruit and nut bars x 2 = 460
chocolate bar (mars) = 449
sultanas (10g) = 42
The recommended calorie intake for a man is 2550Kcal per day,if I add a pack of noodles to the menu the weight is increased by 100g and the calorie count is raised by 524Kcal.
This will give me 2764 Kcal per day,allowing for errors in addition and maybe not having a chocolate bar every day and slight variations this is close enough.

All this adding is starting to give ma a headache.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Good stuff there Chris the meal info is handy ,
just changed my bergen from a vulcan to a roc and saved 1.5 kilo I will post by kit list up for a seven day trip when I get the chance every time I do one the kit changes
Twodogs

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sapper nice list but two litres a day is very low, need to look at three minimum to be honest. Also a bag of boiled sweets, last ages and kill the sugar/chocolate urge :)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I can carry 2 litres but am able to resupply if needed.I'd need three If I was being energetic,something I try to avoid.The chocolate is for an instant energy boost (and It tastes nice)The sweets tend to be a slow release of empty calories and the other carbs are slow release of useable calories.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I usually pack mixed nut ('trail mix'), a couple of chocolate bars, and mixed fruit - tangerines/clementines, kiwis and apricots are my particular favourite for camping. Not sure if fruit are as energy-full as traditional camping foods but they taste so gooood.

Also, c'mon, no one else want to share their loadouts?

in my pack for last weekend was this lot
october2010005-1.jpg

october2010006-1.jpg

i was getting a lift there and back so weight wasn't a concern i hasten to add
ps i didn't take the dog chews despite the hounds trying to sneak them in

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The last two nighter I did on foot was at the back end of September, I'd probably still carry the same now apart from the tarp which I've now swapped for the Superfly. Last weekend on Loch Lomond I was in the canoe but it was still pretty much the same kit except I'm now on my Alpkit Pipedream 600 bag and Snugfit UQ.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
The last two nighter I did on foot was at the back end of September, I'd probably still carry the same now apart from the tarp which I've now swapped for the Superfly. Last weekend on Loch Lomond I was in the canoe but it was still pretty much the same kit except I'm now on my Alpkit Pipedream 600 bag and Snugfit UQ.

Oh you should have let us know you were up on Lomand. I woulda come down to say hullo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE