Which Spade or Entrenching Tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

Looking for suggestions for a digging implement that will easily cope with the creation of a luxurious latrine, while being lightweight and compact. I think that means a proper spade-style entrenching tool rather than a little trowel. I am not especially interested in using it for sawing through logs or hewing zombie heads. Options so far...

Issue NATO folding type
Clones of Nato folding type
Cold Steel Spetznaz zombie axe copy
Austrian one in Endy's
Swedish one remcommended by Uncle Ray in Essential Bushcraft
The Chinese one

It seems that the Spetznaz is about a pound lighter than the NATO one, but doesn't fold up. Assuming the NATO clones are lighter than the original, are they solid enough for the task? The Austrian one is sort of between the two - solid wood handle with folding spade head bitty, but I don't know the weight. Not found a source for the Swedish one, but looks a bit big in the photo in the book (or the handle is disproportionately small). Saw a vid ages ago on the Chinese one, which seemed to do everything except make tea - I assume it's fine for the task, and looks Spetznaz size, but what does it weigh?

Any others?

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I've got a NATO one and it's a great tool, saw someone using the (I think) Highlander copy, and the blade bent back and forth like a wet Rich Tea biscuit when he dug with it. By the end of the weekend the handle had bent in half.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Me and my buddy both have spetznaz shovels and the handles have snapped on both of them, so if you go down that, route be aware that they are very dry cheap wood, possibly just pine, they have now been replaced with hickory.
If you dont mind a non folding spade, have a look at the draper mini, I use one regularly, you can quickly dig a serious hole and they are lightweight and about 2/3 the size of a border spade.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Go to screw fix, they sell small 'roughneck' spades or shovels, they are brilliant nigh on indestructible. Small enough to go on the outside of a pack but big enough to dig a sizeable hole.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
The 1960s UK army ones are pretty good, with a little square knob that you push in to lock the spade end in folded/mattock/spade positions. My German in laws swear by them and refuse to believe that they aren't of German issue.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Go to screw fix, they sell small 'roughneck' spades or shovels, they are brilliant nigh on indestructible. Small enough to go on the outside of a pack but big enough to dig a sizeable hole.

I'd definitely recommend the roughneck micro shovel. Bought one a couple of weeks ago and has been used regularly for fire pits in all soil types. It performed very well. Easy to use standing as when as kneeling too.

vysubamu.jpg

3ujy8ege.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

+1 for the cold steel special forces shovel! I stripped the paint and handle coat off of mine and I love it.

Great tool indeed. I got rid of my GB axe because the shovel is so much more useful. One thing I have noticed is it doesn't splint wood that well due to the handle tube in the spade centre but that doesn't bother me as I have little need to split wood unless I'm preparing for a BBQ! Everything else though is covered really well and it's light enouhg to strap on yor bag and go treasure hunting or digging bush toilets etc. ;)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I got an Austrian one a couple of years back from Endicotts for the car winter kit - very old school, and very tough. However, I suspect that the cheap MOD knockoff (Draper?) that I got from Sainsburys last spring (they were selling them off cheap - after overcharging nervous winter drivers) would be fine for the car really. The Austrian or the NATO for serious digging, while being foldable. The Screwfix one does look good though...

N

Nomad

Many thanks all. I think compactness is leading the way, which I think means an issue NATO tri-fold is the choice.

Anyone ordered stuff from Cadet Direct?

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have the very same NATO Tri Fold shovel from Cadet Direct. It's an excellent tool. If it's compactness you're after, that's the one. If you are lobbing it in the motor just for car camping take a micro shovel. My tri fold stays in the car all year round when it's not being used.

N

Nomad

I have the very same NATO Tri Fold shovel from Cadet Direct. It's an excellent tool. If it's compactness you're after, that's the one. If you are lobbing it in the motor just for car camping take a micro shovel. My tri fold stays in the car all year round when it's not being used.

It's for rucksack use, and a new NATO tri fold has been ordered from Cadet Direct (got the dispatch notification earlier today). There's a spare full size digging spade that can go in the Land rover if I feel I need it. :)

N

Nomad

The tri fold arrived this morning from Cadet Direct (nice and quick). It is indeed shiny and new. Not sure the case is nylon, but it is some sort of dense plastic material that's a bit like stiff rubber. Unfolded the spade for a moment (in the office) and it feels solid. Time will tell, but initial impressions are very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE