Whetstone prospecting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I'm on with swapping some whetstone for some Flint off Everything Mac. The last time I was up link with notes I only brought a couple of pocket pieces back so yesterday saw me setting off and this time deciding on a different route.
Map-2.jpg

1-4.jpg

Parked below Horton in Ribblesdale station and took the footpath through it Photo 1

2-4.jpg

followed the footpath through Sulber Nick to the crossroads at Photo 2

3-4.jpg

taking the Clapham footpath as far as Sulber Gate Photo 3 over looking Thieves Moss with Pendle Hill in the far distance

5-2.jpg

at the cairn at Beggars Stile Photo 4 I left the footpath to follow Moughton Scar edge, the line of cliffs just above the cairn
4-3.jpg

1/2 way along and looking back at Inglebourgh Photo 5
6-1.jpg

Moughton Whetstone ruins come into view at 6
7-1.jpg

but you still have to walk round the cliff edge to get to the footpath, on right Photo 7, going down into the Hole
Maughtonspring.jpg

I'm glad the spring was still flowing as it was so hot I was ready for a brew and boil a couple of kettles and let them cool in the stream to refill my water bottles.
brewup-3.jpg

brew up and a French Merlot
Dinner-3.jpg

Lamb and mint burgher with home made bread and vine tomatoes (not shown) and a French Merlot for dinner
moughton1.jpg

Whetstone prospecting
moughton4.jpg

moughton3.jpg

8.jpg

with Penyghent coming into view by Photo 8
9.jpg

and on the last lap downhill from Photo 9
There were hundreds of small blue butterflies mating the whole way round I'll post some photo's in the Flora and Fauna section
just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a good walk QDanT :D

Those pieces of raw stone are beautiful :D Probably a lot of the re-enactors (at least) would happily barter for some :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

chelks

Aug 7, 2008
Stafford
Nice one Danny - I'm up there next week and had planned on visiting that site - how far was that walk?

What are the whetstone like - I use fine stones on scythe etc and would love to have one plucked from the hill - usable? any idea what grit rating ?

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Another quality posting from Dan.

Interesting cooker. Did you use one of those gadgets from the 1970's that we used to open coke cans to make it? I had a similar idea myself but never got around to making one. What fuel does it use?

Lovely photos. Resolution is superb. I would love to know what camera you use.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Another quality posting from Dan.

Interesting cooker. Did you use one of those gadgets from the 1970's that we used to open coke cans to make it? I had a similar idea myself but never got around to making one. What fuel does it use?

Lovely photos. Resolution is superb. I would love to know what camera you use.

Thanks for posting.
I think all the local supermarkts Morrisons etc have them in
churchkey.jpg

handy for making different sized holes depending on how much you push it through. Here it's punched a Heinz sponge pudding tin to form a wind shield pot stand for a Tatonka stainless meths burner but it's good for penny alcohol stoves, solid fuel and even twigs or fir cones without a stove.My camera is
cameratype.jpg

have you seen the pictures in posts 45-47 and 51 in
http://www.bushcraftuk.com
/forum/showthread.php?t=45932&page=2

in post 51 I explain my cak handed way of doing them
cheers Danny
p.s. the camera time should be +1 hr but it'll be right when they put the clocks back to the proper time

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Nice one Danny - I'm up there next week and had planned on visiting that site - how far was that walk?

What are the whetstone like - I use fine stones on scythe etc and would love to have one plucked from the hill - usable? any idea what grit rating ?

Sorry chelks I can't help you with distance may be someone with one of those "Voodoo" GPS jobbys or indeed the wheel on a stick, dial, map measurers. I have neither, could answer.
I don't know what size or shape the Victorians cut them to, for use with the Shefield "cut throat" razor industry as sharpening hones but as a guess I'd say they were fine. Perhaps there's someone on BCUK who is more knowledgeable about Whetstone hones ? Anyone ? my apologies for being so vague
cheers Danny

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Mary,
maryx3.jpg

these x3 are yours along with a big offcut and a raw piece I've packed and will post off this afternoon
cheers Danny

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fascinating thread. And as for those stones they're gorgeous!! Thanks for posting this. Really enjoyed the trip ... vicariously Glad I didn't have to haul a pack with 8½kgs of ballast.

If you're selling any of those Whetstones, I'd really be interested in a couple of smallish ones 4inch and under. No pressure.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wow! - Damascus stones to match your knife!

So, when are you opening your 'shop'?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Wonderful stuff! I'd love to harvest such things.

I like the end products very much too.

Ditto the others if you decide to make some pocket money from these.

I do hope you kept Teddy well hydrated - must have been sweltering in all that knitware!

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I think all the local supermarkts Morrisons etc have them in
churchkey.jpg

handy for making different sized holes depending on how much you push it through. Here it's punched a Heinz sponge pudding tin to form a wind shield pot stand for a Tatonka stainless meths burner but it's good for penny alcohol stoves, solid fuel and even twigs or fir cones without a stove.My camera is
cameratype.jpg

have you seen the pictures in posts 45-47 and 51 in
http://www.bushcraftuk.com
/forum/showthread.php?t=45932&page=2

in post 51 I explain my cak handed way of doing them
cheers Danny
p.s. the camera time should be +1 hr but it'll be right when they put the clocks back to the proper time

Thanks Danny. It's funny...the Heinz sponge pudding tin windshield idea was exactly the same idea i had for my SVEA military alcohol burner though, like i say, i never got around to making one. I've got an original retro can punch from the 70's - I didn't think they would still be producing such things with ring-pulls around!

Lovely photos. Stunning pics of those flys. I used to be into photography in the bygone days of film and darkrooms. I studied it at college where they used to talk in hushed tones of the 'future' when photographs would be produced electronically on a computer and you could print a picture at the touch of a button! The quality these days is amazing, but i have yet to invest in a digital camera. I love your pics and it makes me want to go out and buy one! Also, i'm very impressed that you always score such lovely weather - or perhaps maybe you dont take photo's on dull days!
:)

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi bivouac, I'm sat typing this in my old dark room there's still my Meopta Magnifax 4 enlarger within arms reach and my Olympus OM1 but it got harder and harder to find local shops that had any in date paper and chemicals, then even a 75 mile round trips to say Jessops at Leeds saw them out of stock of what I wanted. So no more test strips an alchemy, no more hydrogen sulfide sepia "what's that awful smell" comments it's all too easy click of a button yet the funny think is I knew what I was doing then and get lost in computer tech. now.
It's taken me 2 years to work out how to turn on the macro setting on my camera and I still haven't worked out how to lock a manual setting if I want to shoot say 1 or 1-1/2 stops off, the camera compensates by altering the shutter speed. When the price of negative scanners comes down a bit more I'll have hours worth of negs to transfer. I can remember at collage in the 60's (radio + tv) being shown an OC71 transistor and being told there's no application for these yet but there going to be the next thing after (at the time all) Valves. I built a Mullard design x2 EL84 push pull - ECC83 phase splitter valve amp a few years ago with Celestion 5 speakers and a MHZS valve CD player and the oldest granddaughter actually asked if this was the next thing after Ipod as it sounded so good to her, and she was at Southampton University at the time ! these youngsters. Anyway thread well off track now. As for sunny weather take a Teddy and a bottle of wine.
cheers thanks for your reply Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE