Day Out Loch Ard a peaceful paddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It’s been a while since I shared one of my trips on here. I tend to feel they are not bushcrafty enough. This one was partly to test a new twig stove since I find the small Kelly kettles don’t really work well for me, so made it a bit more relevant.

After managing to talk time for a Friday paddle a few weeks ago I had a day spare to try this again. Friday just passed had a good paddling forecast. Sorley is sitting exams so not at school and his exam timetable had enough from space to come on the Friday so that was good enough for us.

Another excuse for this paddle was I keep promising I’ll put a video together for a video competition we have running over on SotP. I’ve included it at the bottom of the post.

Sorley was only 10 minutes late so we got to the iron cross launch site just before 10am. With it being a school day we were the only people there. We didn’t see anyone else on the water all day. Must try more of these during the week paddles.
IMG_4685.jpeg

There was a thin rain / mist when we launched. Still we could not complain as the water was mirror calm. We headed toward the castle island. Keeping the narrows for later in case the wind picked up later.
IMG_4700.jpeg
Calling it “castle island” may have built up a bit much expectation for Sorley. It is hard to imagine this had an impressive castle on it.
IMG_4703.jpeg
Quick group photo before we headed on to find a good brew stop.
IMG_4704.jpeg
Further up the loch we landed on the shore to have first lunch.
IMG_4718.jpeg
Another one of todays “chores” was to test out a new twig stove. It worked a lot better for us than the tiny gillie kettle. Sorley, of a course, as a teenager is just happy to be burning stuff.
IMG_4731.jpeg
Or be eating stuff, although he is not really up to standard on this as he fills up pretty quick. Archie, his dog, though is one of us.
IMG_4738.jpeg
Marlow and Georgie had a bit of a paddle to cool off their feet after a mad running about session.
IMG_4742.jpeg
Suitably refuelled we headed down to the narrows.
IMG_4747.jpeg
The sun was out now and still no wind.
IMG_4749.jpeg
We were experimenting with different camera placements etc for filming so forgot to take any pictures doing the whole part of the day where we went down the river and back up. You’ll see it on the video for sure though. Once back out we had just enough time for a late lunch so again Sorley got to burn stuff while the dogs had a run about.
IMG_4762.jpeg
I managed to wrangle the dogs into one spot for a photo before we launched again.
IMG_4769.jpeg
I still can’t believe how calm we got it all day.
IMG_4778.jpeg
The dogs are still practicing for that big fashion shoot.
IMG_4774.jpeg
Finally it was time for the short paddle back to the car.
IMG_4792.jpeg
We got back to the iron cross about 4pm. Another great days paddle. I could get to enjoy these Friday paddles
:)
. As promised, here is the video.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That has to be one of the most beautifully calm trips, ever :)
I'm totally chilled out just reading it :cool:

Pleased with the twig stove then ? I admit I sort of get fed up feeding them, but I take the point vs the kk.

Lovely photos, thank you for sharing :)

M

MagiKelly

Pleased with the twig stove then ? I admit I sort of get fed up feeding them, but I take the point vs the kk.
Hi Mary. I’ve had twig stoves in the past and they have not stayed in use long. This one seems a better size. Not so big I would be as well taking a firebox and not so small it is no use.

I get on fine with a full sized Kelly kettle it is just the small ones that don’t seem to have the right proportions to draw well.

Very jealous; not had the canoe out much this year yet :(
I love how 'wise' the tan dog looks (Georgie?) He looks like some Eastern King Fu Master :)

The tan dog is Marlowe. He is a Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla. Got a pedigree as long as your arm and the stupidest dog I have ever owned. He gets by fine thought thanks to his looks

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Great write up and an amazing video! Thanks for putting it together.

It's nice to see a Dutchie in the pack, you don't see them very often. Great dogs.

Can I ask: what equipment did you use to get the video while canoeing? It looked like a fixed camera but there's obviously some tech trickery because it looks like the camera is floating beside you!

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

MagiKelly

It's nice to see a Dutchie in the pack, you don't see them very often. Great dogs.

Can I ask: what equipment did you use to get the video while canoeing? It looked like a fixed camera but there's obviously some tech trickery because it looks like the camera is floating beside you!

Georgie, the Dutchie actually came from one of the members on here, Gill. Not a breed I would have necessarily picked as a first choice but fancied seeing how I got on with a so called high energy dog. Suspect my next dog will see me returning to rotties.

I used a few cameras making the video. Phone on a tripod for some of the shots from shore. Go pro for some of the ones taken on a small magic arm on the gunwale but the one that gives the drone like footage is an Insta360 X2.

It records a 360 video so you choose the framing after. It also edits out the stick it is attached too. I have one that can extend up to 3m which I use at various lengths and attached in various places on the canoe. I literally just bungee the end of the stick to give me the placement I want.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Georgie, the Dutchie actually came from one of the members on here, Gill. Not a breed I would have necessarily picked as a first choice but fancied seeing how I got on with a so called high energy dog. Suspect my next dog will see me returning to rotties.

I used a few cameras making the video. Phone on a tripod for some of the shots from shore. Go pro for some of the ones taken on a small magic arm on the gunwale but the one that gives the drone like footage is an Insta360 X2.

It records a 360 video so you choose the framing after. It also edits out the stick it is attached too. I have one that can extend up to 3m which I use at various lengths and attached in various places on the canoe. I literally just bungee the end of the stick to give me the placement I want.
Thanks for info! Much appreciated. How do you find the dutchie as a breed?

MagiKelly

Thanks for info! Much appreciated. How do you find the dutchie as a breed?
I can see they would not be for everyone but as with most breeds the upbringing can make a big difference. She gets loads of exercise with us, so much so we need to feed her more than double the recommended amount. This helps a lot so when in the house she is just lying about with no interest in getting into trouble. She can still be a tiny bit reactive but only really when on the lead.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I can see they would not be for everyone but as with most breeds the upbringing can make a big difference. She gets loads of exercise with us, so much so we need to feed her more than double the recommended amount. This helps a lot so when in the house she is just lying about with no interest in getting into trouble. She can still be a tiny bit reactive but only really when on the lead.
I love them. But for me, they're second to a Mali. As you say, it's the upbringing that counts. Such a versatile and resilient breed. It's nice to see them just being a pet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE