Where do you want to go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK. I thought a nice idea for a thread would be to name three places we want to go and give reasons for our choices, then if anyone has been they can comment on whether or not they enjoyed their time there.

Where do you want to go?

1 - I would very much like to see more of Scotland and take a trip to Orkney for the sites of prehistoric signifigance and the Isle of Skye for its stunning scenery.
2 - I also want to visit Ireland and Wales too to complete the British Isles.
3 - Sometime in the not to distant future I hope I'd like to visit Scandinavia (probably Norway) as not only is Norway stunning, it also feels quite familiar to the higher regions of Scotland.

I look forward to reading your choices.

Kind regards,

THOaken.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Scottish Highlands
Ireland
The boreal forest (Canada or Central Europe)

I should mention that this is a list for places to which you have never been. So I'll assume you've never been to the Highlands. The Highlands are great and world renowned. I was speaking to someone (not on this forum) who thought that the Highlands weren't beautiful because he thought it all looked like the bleak landscape of Torridon in the far North-West. I showed him pictures of Glencoe and he changed his mind. Visit the Cairngorms National Park and also if you're going up further North I'd spend time at Loch Maree, which is a large loch with many little islands. It feels wild.

I too would like to go to Ireland. I really would love to find myself in British Columbia one day.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
1. British Columbia, I've visited three times before but I'd like more time off the beaten track
2. Yukon, an extended stay in pristine wilderness with nothing but grizzlies, mossies and black flies for company
3. Scandinavia, in winter. Given it's close proximity I really should make it out there sometime.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
1. British Columbia, I've visited three times before but I'd like more time off the beaten track
2. Yukon, an extended stay in pristine wilderness with nothing but grizzlies, mossies and black flies for company
3. Scandinavia, in winter. Given it's close proximity I really should make it out there sometime.
Those are some very wild places indeed. True wilderness I'd say, if there is such a thing.

Have you ever watched Mears in British Columbia? He goes there for his Survival programme which was made in 2007, I believe.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
1 Gran Canaria (only a few weeks for that one) where I hope to live for half the year in the not too distant future

2 Vence in France, not been for many years but will go back at some time, its simply a beautiful area

3 New Zealand to see family and friends, hopefully in 2015 and do some catching up.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great thread idea.

Well where would I like to go!

#1 Would be Norway, love to see where the family originated and it looks stunning with interesting folk too.
#2 Iceland I think, highest amount of authors and Nobel Prize winners per capita in the world. And again a beautifully raw landscape to explore.
#3 May sound daft to some but I'd like to have a camper van and spend a couple of years exploring the UK. You know when you are travelling somewhere you think "What's down there?", "That's a cool sounding place", "Oh I heard tales about that place!". Well I'd love to have the time and resource to do that.

If I can be cheeky and go for a fourth I'd love to see Canada too!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
1 Gran Canaria (only a few weeks for that one) where I hope to live for half the year in the not too distant future

2 Vence in France, not been for many years but will go back at some time, its simply a beautiful area

3 New Zealand to see family and friends, hopefully in 2015 and do some catching up.

I'd love to go to Lord of the Rings Country. Good list.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Great thread idea.

Well where would I like to go!

#1 Would be Norway, love to see where the family originated and it looks stunning with interesting folk too.
#2 Iceland I think, highest amount of authors and Nobel Prize winners per capita in the world. And again a beautifully raw landscape to explore.
#3 May sound daft to some but I'd like to have a camper van and spend a couple of years exploring the UK. You know when you are travelling somewhere you think "What's down there?", "That's a cool sounding place", "Oh I heard tales about that place!". Well I'd love to have the time and resource to do that.

If I can be cheeky and go for a fourth I'd love to see Canada too!
Excellent write up, Goatboy. I like the sound of no.3.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sweden and other parts of Scandinavia! Luckily for me me and my dad are going canoeing, camping and general bushcrafting there for two weeks when I've done my exa,s! Can't wait! :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
ooo hard to choose from so many places. Have yet to explore most of scotland, i agree with you Taylor about loch maree, i used to work there every summer beautiful place. Have also got to explore more of scandinavia

1 - Iceland. for its beautiful landscape, but also because you can really walk in the footsteps of the men in the Icelandic sagas.
2 - New zealand for the scenery. reckon it would be a good place to tour farms and the like

3 - Netherlands as i keep hearing so much about it from people it sounds like a great place for a bike tour

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
ooo hard to choose from so many places. Have yet to explore most of scotland, i agree with you Taylor about loch maree, i used to work there every summer beautiful place. Have also got to explore more of scandinavia

1 - Iceland. for its beautiful landscape, but also because you can really walk in the footsteps of the men in the Icelandic sagas.
2 - New zealand for the scenery. reckon it would be a good place to tour farms and the like

3 - Netherlands as i keep hearing so much about it from people it sounds like a great place for a bike tour
You're the resident Scandinavia adventurer, Hamish. I'd ask you to summarise your time there, but then you've written a very long trip report about your time on the farms. :)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
1. Alaska

2. Ceuse (massive sport climbing destination in france, have wanted to go for ages)

3. Space (gonna throw that one out there, it'd be unbelievable)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
1. Texas Hill country when the Bluebonnets and other wildflowers are out. It's my home state and I've yet to see this wonderful display but I will one day :)

2. Get a camper van and do a tour of America more or less the same as John Steinbeck did in his book 'Travels with Charlie'

3. Camper van and tour Australia and New Zealand

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I see places all the time that I'd like to visit, I've never been to Australia and New Zealand, I'd like to do that for a year, India, Africa and there's some fantastic places in Europe....So much to see so little money :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE