What's your main outdoor activity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which outdoor activity do you do most of?

• Hunting/shooting/fishing

Votes: 67 23.5%
  • Camping

Votes: 63 22.1%
  • Kayaking/Canoeing

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • Bird/nature watching

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Natural crafts

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Hiking

Votes: 81 28.4%

• Total voters

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
i like camping but mastering the art of the old ways does it for me ,when most people go camping it means all the luxurys but without the house try it without anything not even a knife

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I ticked the 'hiking' box but I often find that camping is involved with it too, purely because I tend to go for multi-day tramps. Sadly, constraints laid down by work, SWMBO and those 'little jobs' that take forever mean that taking my elderly dogs for a walk in the woods is the more usual activity. It's not all bad ...

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I voted Bird/nature watching,but that is not exactly what I do.I like to track down the animals,sneak to them as close as I can,make coffee,hunt mushrooms/bow woods/arrow shafts,make coffee,and collect feathers/birch bark/fatwood and make coffee and go home.If I don't stay overnight.But then I take more coffee.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
I voted for shooting, as I try to get out a couple of times a week if I can. I mainly shoot rabbits, although any other pest species is on the list too if I'm asked. I like being outside, it's amazing what non shootable species you get to watch when you're trying to be quiet. The other week I led and watched a Roe buck through my scope for about half an hour. He was in great condition and the Deer don't bother the land owner, so I let him be. Sometimes I think the shooting is just an excuse to lie in a field for hours, if I didn't have my rifle people would think I was weird!

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
My vote went in the fishing box, although these days more and more time is spent just enjoying the surroundings and less on the fishing.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I really would like to take a good long hike in the woods, but with having a book about animaltracks from the library, I can't seem to walk at a good pace anymore. :D Just looking, discovering :D :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Jodie pointed out something that those of us who spend a lot of time in the bush tend to forget, and that is that in our urbanized world the forest can seem really intimidating. I had forgotten, but I once took my son-in-law into the Ozark mountains on the Mulberry River and I noticed that he seemed ill at ease all day. As it began to get dark and all the animals of the forest began to hoot, howl, chirp and move through the woods snapping twigs as they went, he got even more nervous. He never went back with me again. I think this is exactly the same as if a rural person was suddenly set down in the middle of New York or London in a bad neighborhood. Culture shock. Those who are new to the bush need to be introduced gently.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I voted for camping, but like others I find none of the selections on offer really fit. I've spent a lot of time canoe camping, fishing, walking, cycling, sailing and I'm currently gearing up to rig my sailing dinghy with a boom tent for dinghy cruising.

Essentially, whatever I do, it's an excuse to get out and enjoy the natural world.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE