What's your main outdoor activity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which outdoor activity do you do most of?

• Hunting/shooting/fishing

Votes: 67 23.5%
  • Camping

Votes: 63 22.1%
  • Kayaking/Canoeing

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • Bird/nature watching

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Natural crafts

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Hiking

Votes: 81 28.4%

• Total voters

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am a puzzled, I don't think the bird/nature watching really describes what I do. The natural crafts I do, but not as much as plant and fungi eating, which is not on the list. I don't hunt or fish because like Jodie I am a townie and hunting is country skill which I have never had the opportunity to learn But I would dearly love to learn.

As a forager I always feel the don't walk on grass type of nature-watcher, don't understand how nature works. I hate bird reserves because i cant look at the plants. If the plants weren't there the birds wouldn't be either. I suppose it is the same as townies not understanding the various types of hunting and the effect it has on the balance. IMHO the best way of understanding an ecosystem is to be part of it.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
xylaria said:
I am a puzzled, I don't think the bird/nature watching really describes what I do. The natural crafts I do, but not as much as plant and fungi eating, which is not on the list. I don't hunt or fish because like Jodie I am a townie and hunting is country skill which I have never had the opportunity to learn But I would dearly love to learn.

As a forager I always feel the don't walk on grass type of nature-watcher, don't understand how nature works. I hate bird reserves because i cant look at the plants. If the plants weren't there the birds wouldn't be either. I suppose it is the same as townies not understanding the various types of hunting and the effect it has on the balance. IMHO the best way of understanding an ecosystem is to be part of it.

Ah, good point - the poll needs a foraging option.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
andyn said:
well i go camping...then do the rest of those things while im there. lol

Same with me - it all comes from the initial act of going camping. However, there's nothing I like more (in bushcrafty terms..) than a nice calm afternoon walk in my local woods.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
gunnix said:
Sleeping and making fire... most sleeping :D

lol our kids the same the minute he gets his hammock up and tarp over you can see him edge ever nearer to the hammock then before you know if you hear snoring :rolleyes:

Oh an this can be at 10 am :eek:

David B

May 12, 2006
Tadcaster North Yorks
Canoeing

Well that is, I use the canoe as a vehicle to allow me to indulge, in all the other options in areas that are dificult to access by other means.

I have recentley completed a trip from Rannoch moor to Perth, 5 days self contained and although some of the route passed through populated areas, it was as close to natural wilderness as you can get in britain.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
xylaria said:

I do voluntary work at a nature reserve. Its great, I get a whole wet meadow to myself, and in return, all they want is a list of all the plants that grow there....

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Wayland said:
Lofoten_Eagle.jpg

... ;)

Shame that bloody duck ruined the pic.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Voted camping as it's the thing i do most on the list, but could be any of them really, although flying kites isn't on there and i do this most lunch times, if i can sneak off work for long enough that is :rolleyes: (though it's been a few week's due to a never ending circle of injurys, must be getting old :( )

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Hmmm...fieldsports still up front, I guess John Craven and Bill Oddie haven't voted yet.
Enjoying the comments :lmao:

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
;)
Jodie said:
KAE1 - I like Countryfile and grey squirrels. Sorry about that :D

Wayland - your photography is really lovely.
Maybe i'm being too harsh, but the show never used to get into the nitty gritty of country life or nature. You like grey squirrels....which recipe do you use?

PS. never trust anyone in a red berghaus ;)

xylaria

KAE1 said:
Hmmm...fieldsports still up front, I guess John Craven and Bill Oddie haven't voted yet.
Enjoying the comments :lmao:

I haven't voted yet because there isn't category for me vote for. I pick and eat wild plants and try different ways of cooking them.

The bits bushcraft we learn are dictated by the enviroment we find ourselves in. I live in town and can do my foraging taking the kids the school. It is just a simple skill that can be done anywhere by anyone who took the time to learn it. I have lived in central london and dread to think how much lead etc I have eaten through foraging.

Jodie :You_Rock_ You might say you are a armchair bushcrafter but you are really good at it. The heads up and links you post are ace.

EdS

wild foods I guess - what my grandfather and mother taught me. And the gran on the other side taught me / used me to get under the fencing at Catterick Garrison and liberate the "wild" fruit.

And sitting, chilling and watching the world go by.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE