What's your main outdoor activity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which outdoor activity do you do most of?

• Hunting/shooting/fishing

Votes: 67 23.5%
  • Camping

Votes: 63 22.1%
  • Kayaking/Canoeing

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • Bird/nature watching

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Natural crafts

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Hiking

Votes: 81 28.4%

• Total voters

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I really love the diversity of the bushcraft community. Just wondering when you're out in the countryside whats your main activity?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Might be worth seeing if you can change to poll so people can vote for an option which says various or more than one catagory...

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I think you're right. I really hate being pigeon holed. Up until recently I would have classed myself as a fieldsportsman but my interests also included birdwatching, canoeing, wild flower enthusiast etc etc.

But I guess what I am asking is the top interest i.e. you have a weekend off work and can choose one of the following.......

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
i main do hiking, but i do fish and camping, and can't wait until i start canoeing, i just have to build one or find a very very cheap one ( ie free at the min :lmao: )

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
KAE1 said:
I think you're right. I really hate being pigeon holed. Up until recently I would have classed myself as a fieldsportsman but my interests also included birdwatching, canoeing, wild flower enthusiast etc etc.

This is true. Camping is quite an umberella term that encompasses many other activities. Polls whilst seeming simple open all sorts of sub-questions :D

Ah well - here's to the perfect poll :beerchug: :lmao:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Can we have an option for armchair bushcrafters? Sort of an honourable
mention for those of us who are a bit timid* and enjoy walking outside and
admiring the interesting bits and bobs of nature and support BCUK but
don't actually do anything particularly bushcrafty - yet?

*I am going on a Plantlore course soon so might be less scared of staying
outdoors rather than passing through it on my way home :D

I'd be the first to admit I'm a tad urban.

What I might do though is pinch a few lime leaves from the tree outside
a local train station and put them in my sandwiches tomorrow... that's
got to be worth a try (I really hope my tree IDing skills are up to it!!).

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Should be all of the above.

But I seldom go out to just "watch" birds or nature. That just happens along the way.

Like stopping to watch a pair of eagles today while I was repositioning a footbridge over the creek, and working out a set of Stepping Stones to get across another section. (floods have a way of doing some "natural" repositioning of things in their path)

So it goes out here in the Hinterlands - where cell phones don't work! :lmao:

Mike Ameling - the grumpy German blacksmith

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Squidders said:
you know... I still have no idea what bushcrafting is! :lmao:
I think this is the point, and the point of the poll. Until I stumbled across this site I didn't really fit in any one category; yes I enjoy a bit of fishing but couldn't take it too seriously, yes I enjoy shooting but some days I would rather watch than pull the trigger, I take the odd trip to my local RSPB reserve but I am no Bill Oddie.

Then I found this site. I half expected a load of John Craven types, you can look but dont touch........dont walk on the grass....isn't the grey squirrel a funny, cuddly little chap.
Instead I found people who really knew how the coutryside works. People who understand that you can love nature and kill animals.

So thanks so far to everyone whos contributed, its an interesting spread of activities. :You_Rock_

And regarding the drinking.....surely all canoe clubs end a paddle down the pub? :beerchug:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The thing that gets me outdoors most often is my landscape photography.

Lofoten_Eagle.jpg

Bushcraft for me is just how I live while I'm out there.

I must admit I enjoy the meet ups too... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE