What's your main outdoor activity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which outdoor activity do you do most of?

• Hunting/shooting/fishing

Votes: 67 23.5%
  • Camping

Votes: 63 22.1%
  • Kayaking/Canoeing

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • Bird/nature watching

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Natural crafts

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Hiking

Votes: 81 28.4%

• Total voters

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Jodie said:
Can we have an option for armchair bushcrafters? Sort of an honourable
mention for those of us who are a bit timid* and enjoy walking outside and
admiring the interesting bits and bobs of nature and support BCUK but
don't actually do anything particularly bushcrafty - yet?

Jodie. You ought to come up to the Spring Bushmoot.

Meets and Moots are a great place to dip your toe in the water and there are always people going that can take spare gear and see you right for a weekend.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
KAE1 said:
why are they called moots?
it's from the old English word 'motan' meaning argue, debate, discuss, from the old saxon word 'gamot' meaning voting place, moot evolved into the word meaning meeting place,

Wayland

Hárbarðr
On this site Moots are like meets organized by Tony and the admin team, Meets are like moots organized by the members.

I was told not to use the term Moot when I started organizing the first NW meet so as not to confuse the two.

As mentioned above moot has an ancient root that always served my purpose in other places in the past, but more recently it has come into widespread use following it's use by JRR Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings etc.

i voted natural crafts as thats the nearest to runnng my smallholding and the work i do with the charityable group i work with but that includes hunting, fishing, walking, camping. most of all is making things to be comfortable out doors and to make sure my animals are happy and as un-chemicaled as posible and to increas the skills and interests of the members of the group.

it is so much more diverse than i would have thought - having now given it thought!!!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
This is one of these poles that I really needed to fill in more than one spot. It really does depend. It depends on where I am, the time I have available, what I fancy and the time of year. I'm sure I'm not alone here. :rolleyes:

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
I agree we should have had more options.

I like to fish.
I don't think that should be in the same category as hunting/shooting.

When fishing you have the option of releasing it again. (although I do some times keep them).

Catch and release is a little hard to do when you use a gun on an animal. (no offence to shooters).

When I'm just out and about, going to work, out with my lass etc
I'm always looking around me, look up at the sky.
You see all sorts. Birds, lizards...

Plus if you're always looking around you, you're less likely to get jumped by thugs. :yikes:

All though that's not a problem in Japan.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
John Cuthell said:
I like to fish.
I don't think that should be in the same category as hunting/shooting.

When fishing you have the option of releasing it again. (although I do some times keep them).

Catch and release is a little hard to do when you use a gun on an animal. (no offence to shooters).

No offense taken John.

Most shooters I know wouldn't dream of injuring an animal for "sport" or their own amusement and then let it go again.

We would also like to be in a separate category!

(No offense to anglers but that needed a resonse ;) )

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Very subtle BR. I don't want this to get 'all political' and I both shoot and fish (used to hunt until I was criminalised for taking my lurcher across the fields to catch the odd hare).
We, as anglers, have to remember that the stress factor is in the playing of the fish, and perhaps keeping it in the keep net, not the knock on the head.
Whenever I fish, be it lure fishing or stalking chub I am 'hunting' with rod and line. Stalking fish from the riverbank is just like stalking deer in the hedgerows, neither makes me feel morally superior than the other.
John,
Thanks for the comment - no problem with different opinions, it makes life all the more interesting.
And yes to all, there should have been more options. But it goes to show what I said at the start about the great diversity of the people on this site.
Thanks.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
lovve to be able to go out hunting but its such a pain walking around with a riffle just waiting for the inevitable game keeper or copper to challenge yu

J

JadaFecT

camping for me, I love the fire lighting and shelter building aspect, and naturally test how little i can take camping with me

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
No mountainbiking on the list. That's what I spend most of my outdoor time doing.
There's also no catagory for mooching.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i really like the whole thing you know the fire lighting the tracking carving useful tools for an imediate job
just wished i didnt make such a pigs ear of it most of the time
(appart from the fire lighting as i lived in a cottage with only an open fire for warmth so got pretty good at that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE