Whats your kit consist of?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Thats the sort of look I usually am!!!! I just prefer everything in 1 sac. For ease of transportation I may just check everything in the large pac (light pollution be warned) and wander round with the forest with the day sac.

The sleeping bag is just soooooo big, it fills the bottom compartment of my Karrimor 80 litre sac, and thats in its stuff sac!!!!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Celtic Dragon said:
Thats the sort of look I usually am!!!! I just prefer everything in 1 sac. For ease of transportation I may just check everything in the large pac (light pollution be warned) and wander round with the forest with the day sac.

The sleeping bag is just soooooo big, it fills the bottom compartment of my Karrimor 80 litre sac, and thats in its stuff sac!!!!

Thats a good system - it allows more versatility and scope. Nothing worse than setting up base camp and then having to lug your large sack everywhere if your out gathering food or materials or some such!! Its the combo I like to use anyway.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This is my pack in it's current incarnation.

CONDITIONS: Post rainy season Central Brazil. Warm & Wet conditions prevail. Nights are cool but not cold even at higher elevations. Thunderstorms possible.

BLADES

Tramontina machete 10 inch
Mora SWAK

SHELTER

Lightweight Bivy sack
US Army Poncho
US Army Poncho Liner
Paracord
Mosquito headnet
Bush hat
Thin leather gloves
Nylon Dry bag

WATER

PVC Filter
US Army Canteen w/ cup and stove sleeve
Galão de Emergência
Potable Aqua Plus on canteen
Potassium Permanganate back-up
60 ml syringe & 1 meter tube
2 liter Platypus bag

FIRE

Mini-Bic on canteen
BSA Hotspark Kit w/ tinder
2 Wetfire tinder cubes

NAVIGATION

Recta DP-2 Compass
Pace Counter

SIGNAL

Starflash mirror
Fox 40 Whistle
Inova LED

MEDICAL

Moleskin
FPS 40 sunblock
Chapstick
Ibuprophen

Without food or water the pack weighs just under 10 lbs.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I do not want to tread on your toes, but may I suggest that a first aid kit would be quite important if you are taking your knife and axe?

Greg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
if i was going :( it would be this probably.. with more food and clothes added..

You're still coming to Ashdown aren't you Tomtom? If you don't I'll be the only harmonica player there and hopelessly out numbered by the dig gang!!! :yikes:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
zambezi said:
Given the current weather, I was investigating the logistics of bringing one of these.

I have a mate with a low-loader...... :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :wink:

Seriously...I wrote out my kit list the night before last and I've got heaps (as opposed to piles :naughty: )!!!! A tarp, a basha, a tripple hooped bivvi and a two man pup tent and only one body to go in them lol.... a lot of the kit I bring will stay in the car unless people want/need to borrow it or more importantly play with it! :lol: It's a change for me to be able to bring so much stuff to play with so I'm taking full advantage! :nana:

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
greg2935 said:
I do not want to tread on your toes, but may I suggest that a first aid kit would be quite important if you are taking your knife and axe?

Greg

At the moment, (flame suit on) I can't find my old 1, I think it was either nicked when my car was done over, or the ex threw it out. I have asked a mate in the ambulance service to get me a replacement, I don't know when its turning up.

I do have a MOD field dressing packed though!!!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Celtic Dragon said:

Can I make a suggestion that you don't use a stuff sac if you want to fit more into your bag?? If you must use a bag use a bin liner or similar but not a stuff sac, they take up way too much space. If you pack your sleeping bag in as is, it'll mold to the bottom of the bag and then everything else just pushes in. I can fit easily twice as much into my bag by using this method.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lithril said:
Can I make a suggestion that you don't use a stuff sac if you want to fit more into your bag?? If you must use a bag use a bin liner or similar but not a stuff sac, they take up way too much space. If you pack your sleeping bag in as is, it'll mold to the bottom of the bag and then everything else just pushes in. I can fit easily twice as much into my bag by using this method.

That's a very top tip and works very well.....but doesn't really work for me as I always pack my kit into a thick drybag inside my bergan - the issue dossbag inside it's stuffsac fits the bottom of my drybag perfectly! My TA Unit seemed to have a bit of a thing for cold water and getting us in it at any and every opportunity...and if they could get us to run to it and then back from it so much to the better!!!! :p

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
bambodoggy said:
That's a very top tip and works very well.....but doesn't really work for me as I always pack my kit into a thick drybag inside my bergan - the issue dossbag inside it's stuffsac fits the bottom of my drybag perfectly! My TA Unit seemed to have a bit of a thing for cold water and getting us in it at any and every opportunity...and if they could get us to run to it and then back from it so much to the better!!!! :p

I'm looking at getting an ME drybag soon with the air valve on the side, you can put your sleeping bag inside this, stuff it into your sack and then stand on it, forcing it to the shape of the bag whilst getting all the air out, then do the valve up and it'll retain its shape.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Well I guess everyone else will have a FAK so it is not so serious but I would never go anywhere without one if carrying an edged tool, especially alone: it is so easy to slip and slice through something vital irrespective how good and experienced you are. Knowing my karma I'll go and slice through my arm this weekend or something and will have forgotten to pack my FAK now!

Greg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
greg2935 said:
Well I guess everyone else will have a FAK so it is not so serious but I would never go anywhere without one if carrying an edged tool, especially alone: it is so easy to slip and slice through something vital irrespective how good and experienced you are. Knowing my karma I'll go and slice through my arm this weekend or something and will have forgotten to pack my FAK now!

Greg

No worries Matey....as I mentioned lower down I'll be bringing my basecamp FAK which is massive and has everything from a didle-I-doh to a Damned if I know! :eek:):

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
bambodoggy said:
No worries Matey....as I mentioned lower down I'll be bringing my basecamp FAK which is massive and has everything from a didle-I-doh to a Damned if I know! :eek:):

I had one of those Kits during the ambulance strike!! :rolmao:

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Celtic Dragon said:

what sleeping bag is it i only ask because i hope to get a -10nanok soon which i know will be big but will it fit in my swedish 35l which is big or will i have to get my sabre 45 + side pockets sooner gary mite be able to help because i think he has the same 35l sack.
Mal

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
mal said:
what sleeping bag is it i only ask because i hope to get a -10nanok soon which i know will be big but will it fit in my swedish 35l which is big or will i have to get my sabre 45 + side pockets sooner gary mite be able to help because i think he has the same 35l sack.
Mal

I have a Snugpak Eagle, its lovely and warm, never let me down yet, but its also 13 years old!!!!!! *eek* I've just remembered what it was bought for, and the ruckasc to go with it. Oh dear god, I feel old now!!!!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
i dont know how big a nanok is rolls up but my army 90 pattern bag stuffs into my swedish 35l - in fact last time I used it I got a whole weekends gear including food in the sack!!

And if you can fit it in there a sabre45 will take it I would imagine.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
cheers for that C/D and Gary i think the -10 Nanok is about the same as woodlores mid-range one whats the normal kit Gary you carry in your 35l i ask cause i fined it such a good sack i don't know if i should bother with the 45 sabre

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
No hard and fast rules - my kit changes with task and weather Mal but last time I was out for the weekend I took,

Sleeping bag,
bivi bag,
basha
Therma rest.
flask
1 Qrt canteen
metal mug
Billy can
clik stand and stove
wash kit + house wife + tube of steridex
poncho
Pre-mac pocket water filter
flint and steel set
Mosi headnet
GB Sharpening stone
Food and brew kit.
Knife

That about covers it I think.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
That sounds good i want to save for one of those clickstand sets while i remember what bivi bag do you use do you sell them and are they good thanks Gary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE