Power cut kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If I wake up in the night I can normally find my way around without a torch. We currently have a very elderly dog that sometimes needs looking after in the middle of the night and if I'm woken and need to turn on a torch it can be a bit tricky as I'm often only half awake. I've found one of those push on cupboard lights to be very handy as they are so easy to turn on.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I think they are great for elderly people or people who perhaps can’t move around as easily for whatever other reason, or if you have kids possibly.

I can move around upstairs in the dark no problem and downstairs I have torches and candles dotted around in specific spots, so I know I can find them if the power suddenly goes at night. (Get to a torch, then light some candles or go get the camping lanterns from the store room.) Most of the time, I have my phone on/with me and it’s set so that the flash light turns on if you karate chop it twice. So very handy for surprise darkness. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Congrats.

As long as you can find the torch. If nothing else has gone sideways.
Or find the torch that comes on when you take it out of the charging point.

We have torches all around the house, plus mobiles kept in certain places. Every one of them have buttons that are easy to turn on. There is no need for gimmicks imho just an easily accessible torch of any brightness to get you to all the other light sources. First one to get a light gets one for everyone else then we look for more permanent lights such as candles even battery operated fairy lights or tent lights.

Then we assess the situation such as check the RCD, check street lighting and check neighbours light situation. Usually if a definite power cut we'll see neighbours outside their houses and we often chat to them. Usually someone knows a little more that's happened with power such as seeing electricity nw doing some work nearby.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Then we assess the situation such as check the RCD, check street lighting and check neighbours light situation. Usually if a definite power cut we'll see neighbours outside their houses and we often chat to them. Usually someone knows a little more that's happened with power such as seeing electricity nw doing some work nearby.

LOL, a lot of the time I can't see any light from our house if the power is on!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
LOL, a lot of the time I can't see any light from our house if the power is on!
Same here, good sign there's an area power cut if the other houses are all dark. There's only a few street lights and they're quite some way up the road. A quick step out of the porch onto the steps and I can see the nearest street light. If that's off when it shouldn't be then it's pretty dark round here.

Anyone else find power cuts to make your locale even quieter than the depths of night? It seems to go eerily quiet like at no other time round here.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Street lighting, neighbours, next you'll be claiming you get a mobile phone signal.
All the network coverage maps show coverage as ending over the road from us. As in the edge of the properties over the road. There's a railway line and low grade farming land the other side of those houses. Our side is the edge of the village and a steep hill, so no idea why they get signal.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Got back at lunchtime today no power. I checked the SSE website, unplanned, back on at 1530. No problem as I was outside sorting more firewood, got back inside at 1545, still no power.
After a quick wander with the dog I got back in and got a Tilley lamp lit, along with a couple of candles. Mentally I’m ready for cooking dinner later on the woodburner, I do have an LPG gas stove anyway so no worries there. Ive got an inverter and a 12v car battery if I need to charge phone or iPad, candles and a few head torches, etc.
Made a brew and sat down all sorted for a nice cosy relaxing evening by lamp and candle light, pop and the lecky’s back on! Typical!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Got back at lunchtime today no power. I checked the SSE website, unplanned, back on at 1530. No problem as I was outside sorting more firewood, got back inside at 1545, still no power.
After a quick wander with the dog I got back in and got a Tilley lamp lit, along with a couple of candles. Mentally I’m ready for cooking dinner later on the woodburner, I do have an LPG gas stove anyway so no worries there. Ive got an inverter and a 12v car battery if I need to charge phone or iPad, candles and a few head torches, etc.
Made a brew and sat down all sorted for a nice cosy relaxing evening by lamp and candle light, pop and the lecky’s back on! Typical!

That's the main reason I bought the generator; almost guarantees we won't have any long power cuts :)

Reactions: SaraR

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
That's the main reason I bought the generator; almost guarantees we won't have any long power cuts :)

We’ve not had a long outage for years. Considering the weather conditions here the local SSE guys are at the top of their game, they’ll fix it, whatever the conditions and wherever the location, plenty of practice!

It did prompt me to have a look at another Tilley I got this year at a booty. Lovely condition, barely used, I reckon it had been used, possibly once, and then damaged the mantle. I have got spares but I happened to notice something down the side of the box, where the handle‘s stored, bingo, a new mantle! That’s now sorted so I’ll give it a test firing in the next day or so.

I do ponder on a gennie or power bank from time to time but not needed one in 20 years of living up here, yet!
My requirements are fairly modest and living in a tin tent up here I’m fairly prepared for mine and the dogs needs. The main thing for me is the wood burner and keeping it fed at sub zero temps. it’s like having a baby and needs fuelling constantly!

Out of interest Broch, what gennie do you have?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I hate it when that happens, it's often rather pleasant spending the evening with no electric.

Our only worry is the freezer, but even when we lost our power for 30 hours last year the contents seemed to cope ok.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I ended up with this Black and Decker one which is a badged Hyundai and comes with an added 1 year warranty (2 yrs), free delivery, and £100 cheaper :) it's a 5.2kw diesel unit. Wellies for scale :)
Thanks Broch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE