Power cut kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Jetboil! Is there a good, cheap alternative to be used purely as a power cut kettle? All our burners take a bit longer. My ancient primus micron (older design with the wure gauze centre of the burner) is our fastest burner.

I'll be honest, mine is a cheap version (£20) - I know there have been reports of cheap ones leaking etc. but mine has worked perfectly for several years and I couldn't see any difference at all when I compared it to a labelled 'Jetboil'.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Jetboil! Is there a good, cheap alternative to be used purely as a power cut kettle? All our burners take a bit longer. My ancient primus micron (older design with the wure gauze centre of the burner) is our fastest burner.

PlanetX was the source of cheap ones for awhile. Though price gone up by a tenner in last few years.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Quite a few items off peoples powercut kit are pretty much just standard gear in site workers vans anyway.
Loads of 5 Ah (and a couple of 9 Ah) batteries for cordless tools.
LED site lighting, USB charging fitting to go on a cordless battery and it charges phones and whatever. Great for camping at concerts as well.
Even just having a couple of decent flasks helps a lot, means I can have hot water without needing to light stoves every time.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Even just having a couple of decent flasks helps a lot, means I can have hot water without needing to light stoves every time
This is really useful, I agree! Having water ready for tea, cooking etc really makes things feel better and go smoother.

I even do it when I'm home alone, as I don't seem able to get the volume right with our new kettle. Not a problem as our Thermos flasks keeps water hot overnight even.

Reactions: demographic

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Maybe over thinking it a tad but if one is moving to a rural location and going to install a wood stove , I wonder if anyone produces a woodstove that has electricity producing TEGs inside it along with a back boiler?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If they are anything like the Biolite stoves, then maybe not.

Im having a think; local antique shop has several Tilley lamps.

They are expensive but I stand a chance of a discount if its stuff that isnt shifting.

What would you pay for an untested Tilley?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Maybe over thinking it a tad but if one is moving to a rural location and going to install a wood stove , I wonder if anyone produces a woodstove that has electricity producing TEGs inside it along with a back boiler?

I just don't think the practical efficiencies and solutions are there. The stove would have to be burning for a long time to generate any usable power and who wants a stove running full pelt in summer? A steam turbine can have generating efficiencies of up to around 35% (IRC) so it would be far more practical to have a remote boiler room running a turbine if you really want to generate electricity from burning wood.

A combination of solar and small wind is probably the best 'clean' off-grid solution in this country - in sunny summer weather the solar cells provide the power, in stormy poor weather there's likely to be reasonable wind :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I just don't think the practical efficiencies and solutions are there. The stove would have to be burning for a long time to generate any usable power and who wants a stove running full pelt in summer? A steam turbine can have generating efficiencies of up to around 35% (IRC) so it would be far more practical to have a remote boiler room running a turbine if you really want to generate electricity from burning wood.

A combination of solar and small wind is probably the best 'clean' off-grid solution in this country - in sunny summer weather the solar cells provide the power, in stormy poor weather there's likely to be reasonable wind :)

I'd think the likelihood of powercuts in winter and then the direct impact of those potential powercuts as opposed to power cuts in summer ( does that happen often?? - I can't remember one ) may mean its worth considering. Even if it was to just power some basic lights or charging options as you'd have the fire lit anyway.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'd think the likelihood of powercuts in winter and then the direct impact of those potential powercuts as opposed to power cuts in summer ( does that happen often?? - I can't remember one ) may mean its worth considering. Even if it was to just power some basic lights or charging options as you'd have the fire lit anyway.

True, but I still think a small (caravan or narrow boat style) wind turbine with a battery would be better. I suppose the one advantage of the heat generator is that you can always 'switch it on' if you have a wood supply.

However, I'm 'arguing' :) just for the sake of it - we need power to get water, so anything measured in hundreds of watts is useless to me - hence my 5.5kw generator :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
True, but I still think a small (caravan or narrow boat style) wind turbine with a battery would be better. I suppose the one advantage of the heat generator is that you can always 'switch it on' if you have a wood supply.

However, I'm 'arguing' :) just for the sake of it - we need power to get water, so anything measured in hundreds of watts is useless to me - hence my 5.5kw generator :)

That was more my thinking - if the wood stove is 'on' why not make the most of it , in whatever way -if physically possible.

You argumentative??? Its one of your more cute traits. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We get power cuts in summer due to storms and lightening strikes.

With a wood burner I like to keep it as simple and reliable as possible so I don't like ones with water heaters as they power the temp of the Firefox and can burn less efficiently.

Having a ram pump we don't need electricity for our water either, just magic.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Lightning strikes, heavy winds snapping branches full of leaves etc happens quite a lot in summer, at least around here. If you’re in a sparsely populated area or

Last winter, we lost power for several days due to some of the big storms that moved through. It took the power company some time to clear it all up and restore the power, but since the storms had moved on, the weather was actually quite nice and solar panels would have made a real difference, I think.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess i'm in the minority as i see a power cut during the darker , colder winter months as more impactful. Hence more of a concern. Power cuts during the summer months don't seem to impact me that much or I guess I would have remembered them.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
If they are anything like the Biolite stoves, then maybe not.

Im having a think; local antique shop has several Tilley lamps.

They are expensive but I stand a chance of a discount if its stuff that isnt shifting.

What would you pay for an untested Tilley?
Probably about £35 as an average. Bear in mind that the glasses are £20 or thereabouts.
Our local antique shop has a lot of 246's (the later ones), with a £75 price tag on.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, caught him in a good mood. Ive cleaned him out of Tilleys.

Four.

£70.

Two I am optimistic, one Im uncertain of and the last I suspect will supply parts.

Ill take pics when not busy.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Make sure you have at least one torch that lives somewhat easy to reach in the dark, for that initial scramble for light.

Headtorches are great for doing things, but we also got some rechargeable camping lanterns for ambient light. Also much easier to cook if you're not limited to a headtorch only.

Think about where and how you'll use your backup stove/cooking system. Fuel, surface, ventilation, light, safety if you've got kids/pets etc.

Have some fast-cooking food at home. You might not want to spend 45 min making a rice and lentil stew on a gas stove in the dark and cold.. :)

The only thing we don't have is a good alternative heating source so we're reliant on all the warm gear, blankets, ets; the dogs and warm food and drink to keep us warm. Not ideal but doable if you're a reasonably healthy adult.

There is torches that lights up when removed from the charger or when there is no power for the charger. Quite handy for powercuts as one get instant light.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
There is torches that lights up when removed from the charger or when there is no power for the charger. Quite handy for powercuts as one get instant light.
Yeah, I'm just not very keen on things being plugged in all the time. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How hard is it to press a button on a torch? Even in the dark I can feel where the button on a torch is and press it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE