Whats your kit consist of?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I've just assembled my kit for the Ashdown meet and it looks a little light compared to usual.

I've got it all in a 30l rucsac. Inc my Charcloth retorte which is a 500g coffee can.

Whats your kit consist of? And can you get it all in a ickle rucsac?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Blimey!
Does that include your sleeping kit and kip mat too, or are you just bringing a body bag and last will and testament?
So what is in your sack?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My kit consists of the following and kinda just about fits in a 120ltr bergen :oops:

1 x small 1.5man tent
1 x cheap blacks sleeping bag
1 x foam sleep mat
1 x bit of foam sleep mat to sit on
1 x 12cm billy can
1 x leather possibles pouch
1 x poncho
1 x change of clothes including trainers
1 x personal FAK
1 x Army blanket
1 x basha including cord
1 x gas stove
1 x night vision scope
2 x little walkie talkie radios (thought I'd give them a try to test the range)
1 x MOD machete

some little bits and bobs, whistle, gps, torch, head lamp, food and water... To be honest most of the stuff is because it's cold and/or I wanted to have a play or allow others to have a play.

Joe

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
In the sac is:

Axe
Knife (1floder, 1 sheath)
Hootchie
Billy can
Folding cooker
Head torch
Tobacco tin full of charcloth
Charcloth retorte
Field dressing (no FAK as I can't find it)
Pan
Soon to be billy can full of birch bark

My sleeping bag wouldn't even fit in this rucsac

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
beachlover said:
phew! plenty of stuff then!
what are you doing about grub?

Believe it or not, I haven't thought of that. It will be something easy in tesco's on my way down.

Everytime I've been out bushing it before the rifle takes care of food.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
if i was going :( it would be this probably.. with more food and clothes added..
DSCF0057.jpg

oh yeh and my Kata for ashdown!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Celtic Dragon said:
In the sac is:

Axe
Knife (1floder, 1 sheath)
Hootchie
Billy can
Folding cooker
Head torch
Tobacco tin full of charcloth
Charcloth retorte
Field dressing (no FAK as I can't find it)
Pan
Soon to be billy can full of birch bark

My sleeping bag wouldn't even fit in this rucsac

No sleeping bag, no bivi bag... good luck, I hope you won't be too much of a burden on everyone when you get serious hypothermia. Or maybe you'll just go in your sleep :shock:

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
arctic hobo said:
No sleeping bag, no bivi bag... good luck, I hope you won't be too much of a burden on everyone when you get serious hypothermia. Or maybe you'll just go in your sleep :shock:

I'm not that dumb!!!!!! The tent and sleeping bag are in another rucsac, I would never be that dumb, I grew up in the welsh foot hills, and have seen people go down with hyperthermia. I would never leave myself without shelter or warmth.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Don't worry mate, I had a feeling you were, but this is a family forum and were (in my eyes atleast) quite right in posting what you did. You pointed out something that hopefully will cause flags for others remember.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I dont wanna sound like a mother hen but I'd suggest so clothes too!

Seriously I'd add a extra layer for the evenings/mornings as its gonna be a cold one. And a hat!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'll go and get a photo up...(but as you all know that may take at least 239 days)

My basic weekend kit would be...small but perfectly formed...and remember, its what you do with it that counts...RM said that...im sure...;)

A knife (well knives)
A cheap billhook (sorry Jack i got it before i knew about woodland organics)
Hennessey
Vango ultralight
sharpening tools
billy can
cord
food
firesteel

probably more, can't remember off hand...

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Becoming bound ( sometimes literally) to the limitations or conversely vastness of a central pack unit keeps us from thinking outside the box, er ruck. I have a german army daypack. Theres a poncho, Anorak and/or coat and sleeping pad lashed to the top, 9'x9' nylon sil tarp with premade lines and stakes protecting my chart(s) in the inside pocket. The twin side pockets hold water bottles. The slots formed by these pockets secure a Wetterling axe and small shovel. Spare clothing ( wool socks, Dachstein mittens, Balaclava, thermals, wool shirt ,trousers) takes up a goodly portion of the lower main. I have a large billy with my food, cup,spoon, matches and stove. A second Billy holds minimum toiletries and first aid. Now, on my person at all times I carry my whistle, signal mirror, torch, compass, firesteel, knife and diamond hone. I don't want to lose these essentials. My BIG, BULKY Wiggy sleeping bag in it's stuff sack is rigged with a shoulder strap and LOTS of paracord stuffed inside. On the other arm I have my hiking staff . I'm not Hienrich Harrer scaling the Himalayas or Rambo running through some 3rd world movie set with a M60 and 600 rounds. If I do have to traverse a bit of rough terrain that paracord allows me to go first and then belay my bag etc. afterwards. Unless I am specifically going on some major adventure demanding a single big unit for motility, the flexibility of looking like an overburdened dustbin is much easier. :pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE