whats your job? is it outdoor work? does it fit around bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Self employed Locksmith at the moment but also a Bricklayer, though not much work round here lately. Weekends are free and i also have the advantage of finishing early most days doing the locksmithing.

Last edited:

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Worked for many years as a countryside ranger, then had kids and realised I was paying more in childcare than I earned.
So with a heavy heart I left and took part time jobs in community education and environmental education.
I'm also back at uni doing a MSc and trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.
Problem is I keep coming back to Ranger.
Either that or go it alone, bit scared on the funding aspect though, but stories like John's make me realise its possible.

(Where are you based pwb?)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm a 'field' Geologist/Geotechnical Engineer and as such, start early and finish early with a fair bit of time spent on greenfield and brownfield sites alike. I often take my tarp and hobo out when I'm working on the same site for prolonged periods, I like to set the tarp up to keep my samples out of the elements which also gives me a dry spot to do any paperwork and get a brew on.

Don't tell the H&S guys that I use my hobo at work though!I'll likely need a risk assessment and method statement for it!:lmao:

pwb

(Where are you based pwb?)
Hi silvergirl,

Based just outside Forfar, the reserve is called Murton used to be a sand and gravel quarry which has been reclaimed and now is a nature reserve and educational facility. Soon to also have a farm and tearoom too, got a wind turbine up to power the tea room now.

ian_glover

Nov 29, 2010
Derbyshire
id love a job outdoors but for now i am a factory worker, i live in the national forest and id love to work for the forestry commission, or as a ranger.

i keep checking all the website weekly hoping for an outdoor job, i hate working in a factory

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I'm a Activity Manager working for a centre that delivers Bushcraft, Climbing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Paintballing, Zorbing, Mountaineering and thats to name a few so I get a chance to practice my bushcrafty skills aswell as my other hobbies AND i get paid for it :D

One good thing about all the snow is I'm much better at snowboarding

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Journalist. Started out as reporter, aged 19, now deputy night/production editor of national newspaper. I'm lucky in that I only do a four-day week, but unlucky in that I work nights, which means I'm on my own a lot in the mornings (don't mind, I like my own company!). Wish I'd got into forestry or something 30 years ago, but it's too late now (huge mortgage and kids to pay for, so can't afford a mid-life crisis!). Shouldn't complain about my lot as the job has enabled me to visit places might never have been able to.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I work in a call centre. And surprisingly, I really enjoy it. But I get outdoors every opportunity, and volunteer for the local wildlife trust a lot too.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I'm a professional Viking when I'm not being a Roman or a Pyrate.

Bushcraft comes in very handy when you've got a Monastery to burn...

There is plenty of help available both on and off the NHS, all you need to do is ask:D

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I was recently made redundant after nearly 27-28 ish years being a Fabricator Welder, Now i'm retraining at college, My life has taken a totally different direction and i love it, I have more spare time to spend outdoors with the wife and kid's

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
I'm a countryside Technician apprentice...(it seems I'm really a trainee warden)

Every day so far has been varied, hard work and 95% outdoors :)

Today, I was raising crowns in a developing community wood in the pm, this morning I did the fixed point photography on the dunes to assess their change over time.

We joined the staff at one of our LNRs in Hartlepool.

Tomorrow, we'll be clearing a drainage ditch on Hart to Haswell LNR (one of Beeching's closures) to accommodate the flood water when the snow melts...could be May next year!!

Links to bushcraft crop up every day.
Knot/rope work, wood craft, tool care, species ID..(Had some Buckthorn today on the dunes - yum.), keeping warm, dry, safe in the field, improvisation with tools, teamwork, preparation and organisation.

Having a ball to be honest - could use some extra in the wage packet though :(

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I'm a self employed landscaper covering everything from garden design, construction, maintenance and bits of tree surgery. I also have qualifications in various outdoor activities and I'm keeping my eye open for work with that. Also I'm a member of the mountain rescue team so I spend a substantial amount of time outdoors between all of these.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
worked my way up from site foreman, site manager, now contracts manager for a fit-out company, ( always used to do contract work but this is my first "perm" job and i'm SO grateful for it in this day and age ) lots and lots of travel and 17 hour days ( mainly in Scotland these days ) and weekends free for motorbikes, walking and fishing....shore, lakes and rivers, always got a sharp and a stove of some sort with me on my days out. Not been for a weekend away in the woods for years as lots of commitments but they've left home now :) so.......

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
work in IT. Also have three kids, youngest being 8 months. For now, there is no chance of getting out but come spring, all five of us will be out as much as the weekends allow, The boys and wife love it so I am lucky.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Aerospace engineer...and ex-RAF, of which i did nearly 10 years. Managed to get out a fair bit when i was in the mob, coupled with detachments. Now im a slave to the mam (instead of Queenie) i dont get out as much.

Looking to take a sideways step into Wind Turbines, so that should see me at some fairly remote sites in the fresh air all day...cant wait!!

Would love to work with the environment in some way or geo-engineering but wouldnt know where to start..think for me, its just a pipe dream...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i'm currently a shop manager, and as a result get virtually no weekend time and sporadic days off. xmas puts the stops on anything from mid november to the big day. i worked in a garden centre for about 7 years, 2 of those doing A levels hoping to go into the forces but injury stuffed that, then went to art college and studied fine art. again had another stab at the forces idea and moved to norfolk with partner as she has a lot of family here with the intention of joining RAF but the more i got into it the more i realised i was after the outdoors stuff for fun, not to have the fuss and tension of the forces. we had just bought a house and i decided that i wanted a life that allowed me to come and go as i pleased. so am where i am. funds have never allowed me to do courses, but after a missed oppurtunity of doing something outdoors related we have been galvanised into getting me some qualies that suit bushy stuff a bit more as a proffesion. so heres to the new year!!! and the oppurtunities it may bring.
also a 2 year old son has meant very little outdoors stuff has happened, a few overnighters and some fishing and shooting has been all i can manage. i have to say tho, that apart from the lack of hills, the move here has been great. i'm learning new outdoors skills all the time and good wildlife and bird spotting can be had here. good old ray mears devoted 2 episodes of his latest series to norfolk, both areas not far from me and i know well. truly excellent area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE