LK35 Modified with MOLLE/PALS panels and Padded Waist Belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Actually you can see how it attaches on this webpage here

https://www.thunderheadoutfitters.com/product/molle-molded-waist-belt-acu-digital

But basically it has 4 straps that go through 4 cinch ladder lock things - they form loops that go round the frame

On the lk35 the straps align with the triangular bits that the shoulder strap bottom straps attach to.

The other 2 straps on the belt just go round the frame

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
aaah, I have changed it again, after living with the MOLLE on the lid and sides for a while i decided it didnt work.

A pouch attached to the molle on the lid made the lid flop about a lot, and was annoying so i took it off.
The side molle i took off, so i could attach to swedish webbing pouches on the side. The front molle panel i have left, as that one does work.

I got a guy to sew them on using a cobblers sewing machine, as my singer wasnt man enough to do it....

I sewed them perhaps slightly to high, but it works with the flap so will leave them be, all means i can use some straps to attach a blanket or similar around the bottom under the pouches.

Photos here
IMG_2528-resized-e1528920728639.jpg

IMG_2529-resized-e1528920715996.jpg

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Okay, promotion at work and I have decided to treat myself to a new pack as a reward.

Unsure what yet but am veering towards maxpedition/berghaus or osprey offerings.

Going to order a couple and see what they are like in the flesh.

If I find one I like, I may sell this pack or relegate the frame to water container carrying.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Perfect timing for this thread. Congrats on the promotion :) I had you down as a ‘here’s one I made earlier’ kind of chap, so wouldn’t you prefer something more bespoke and less mass produced? Not suggesting a banana leaf woven sherpa basket, just something less BMW 320 ish.

Received my LK35, pouches, belt, pins,
and yoke today.... (big thankyou to Military Mart. Excellent!) could use your insight here.

Stitching holes into the bag to attatch the pouches seems a bad idea. Gorilla glue might eat into the pack and harm the fabric? Glue gun glue might be too brittle? Gaffa tape and cable ties cos the pack was made in 1987 and the world was held together with gaffa tape and cable ties back then?

I’m heading to Houghton for lunch tomorrow to give it a whirl. Kettle will be on ;)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Perfect timing for this thread. Congrats on the promotion :) I had you down as a ‘here’s one I made earlier’ kind of chap, so wouldn’t you prefer something more bespoke and less mass produced? Not suggesting a banana leaf woven sherpa basket, just something less BMW 320 ish.

Received my LK35, pouches, belt, pins,
and yoke today.... (big thankyou to Military Mart. Excellent!) could use your insight here.

Stitching holes into the bag to attatch the pouches seems a bad idea. Gorilla glue might eat into the pack and harm the fabric? Glue gun glue might be too brittle? Gaffa tape and cable ties cos the pack was made in 1987 and the world was held together with gaffa tape and cable ties back then?

I’m heading to Houghton for lunch tomorrow to give it a whirl. Kettle will be on ;)

Before I had the side pockets sewn on I just put them on the belt then strapped the belt round the pack once it was full, it worked of a fashion.

Yes your right, trouble is whatever bag I get I will invariably modify, I seem to be incapable of leaving anything alone!!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
still on the hunt for my perfect day pack - I'd love something in the traditional style but with a more modern shoulder strap/waist belt set up...

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
still on the hunt for my perfect day pack - I'd love something in the traditional style but with a more modern shoulder strap/waist belt set up...

My Frost River pack is a lovely thing. Unlike modern materials, it requires maintenance, it probably weighs more than modern packs of twice the size... it’s very comfortable but only after fitting a rigid internal structure (a plastic bin from Ikea), a cut piece of yoga mat foam for the interior back... it’s an interesting thing that requires some thought, whereas a modern pack generally doesn’t.

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees”

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Okay a maxpedition xantha just turned up.

Mixed reviews on the web with some liking it and others not and others inbetween, of all the maxpedition bags it was the one that looked most normal to me (and my style)

Seems to fit my needs - outdoors, photography (can fit my tripod or monopod in an outside pocket) day and overnight trips, some molle but not so much I look like I am some ‘operator’.

Jetboil fits in an outside pocket to which is nice. Slightly larger than the LK35 so I can fit what I take in that no problem, will try a full night trips worth of stuff later.

Will report back when I have used it a bit

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Right, had the xantha for 3 months now and have used it for a few different purposes, and despite lukewarm reviews in the web it actually quite like it.

- have used it for ‘bushcraft’ activities with the SBCC and it’s done well for that, it’s big enough for a weekends food and cook stuff and some spare waterproofs etc but bedding needs to strap to the outside.

- have used it as a travel bag for a recent 4 day trip and that was good for that, I removed the waist belt which made it more ‘streamlined’ but without the belt it’s less stable.

- I have used it as day pack for camera expeditions (wildlife photography) and by using soft cases (tamrac goblins) I have successfully carried by DLSR, standard zoom and large telephoto in it, bottle of water on one side and tripod legs in the other bottle carrier. Lots of space left for snack, jacket, waterproofs and bean bag etc

+ve points
- spacious, holds more than you think
- comfortable loaded up full (I am tall so have a long back)
- well made
- nice organisation
- shoulder straps (on me) are very comfortable.
- Molle panel on the front so can add some extra pouches as required
- half clamshell - best of both worlds as a zipped bag and a big pouch.

-ve points
- waist belt could be better, but it actually does a better job than it looks like it should do. I would have preferred it was Molle rather than the built in pouches. I would also prefer the ‘wings’ of the belt to extend round the hips more aswell. I spent a weekend using it without the belt, and it’s definitely better with it.

- the hydration pouch, its hard to fill the bladder when it’s empty and in the bag and the bag semi-loaded without getting the inside of the bag wet.

- it’s impossible to remove the pouch, fill it and replace it in a bag that’s loaded, you need to unload it first.

Otherwise I am happy with it, and will probably offer my LK35 out for trade

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Loaded up my maxpedition pack for the weekend.

All my sleep setup (mat, bivi, sleeping bag), tarp and food, stove and 5litres of water. Waterproofs and a coat, axe, knife, billhook (gift for someone) and a bunch of other bits and pieces (for entertaining kids in the woods etc) and it’s topped out at 19.8kg. About the limit of what you can put in the bag. Still good to wear on the back and balance but it cannot fit more in it, and my sleep system and jacket is strapped on the outside :)

norfolknun

Mar 10, 2013
Norfolk
I have added a hip belt and attempted to molle the sides for pouches.
My hand driven Singer would not do it so I hand stitched and it was difficult.
Ended up stitching the pouches direct as they tended the ''sag '' on the molle.

Still love it a pack though

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Right update time.

Have had the maxpedition xantha for a full year now, and love it as a bag, have used it for hand luggage, bushcraft stuff and general short walks etc. However i predominantly use it to carry my camera gear couple with some f-stop camera inserts. It’s a great bag and I really really like it.

However, I had kept the LK35 and have modded it some more during lockdown - I added some US Molle ii shoulder straps in woodland camo. Trouble is I now have a bag that was dark green, medium green, woodland camo and grey digi camo and tbh it was to much of a frankenbag and I didn’t like the look.

So I brought so iDye poly and dyed the lot dark green. Total punt buy it worked better than I thought, the maxpedition pouch dyed particularly well.

It’s not perfect and I messed one bit up but it’s all a similar colour now!

The maxped bag will still be my main bag tbh!

406DF175-5686-4C26-8778-2A6AB5F597D5.jpegC19AFFAD-7A34-4AC9-9590-E1B55AFE16BE.jpegA9BC2004-8D56-41D9-BC52-6D523058463B.jpeg01370DD6-B6F7-4747-AD9C-127D63BDCAA7.jpegA60AC4CB-F924-47DD-BB73-9686CE12F7CB.jpegE6C2C70D-6A50-4B8F-BBE5-8445747C6ED9.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE